• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Light - Rear Marker Lights - Odd Behavior

I just recently replaced my steering column with a tilt/delay wiper unit. I have everything back in but I am getting weird behavior from my rear tail lights/blinker and rear marker lights.
I have the running lights/marker lights but intermittent brake/blinker lights. Meaning the right side was working(driver side) but not the passenger.

I checked the fuse for the brake lights and it is not blown.

I then replaced the bulb and still had the same symptoms. I pulled the right rear light assembly off and cleaned all the electrical connections, and the grounds. I put it back together and I lost both rear brake/blinker lights. Odd...

So I pulled everything back off and starting working the bulbs figuring something is loose. I found that if I reverse the bulb (as it stick it in the wrong way against the grooves) the blinkers and brake lights will work bu the parking/driving lights wont work.

I pulled the TM out and looking at F-16 I checked the connections to the Dir SIg & Hazard Flasher SW and all the wires show to be in the right order. (WHT/DRK GRN/YEL/PPL/BRN/DK BLU/LT BLU/ etc. ( this was unplugged to pull the column out)

I checked the yellow/brn and the yellow wire going back to the rear assembly and they both show 12V.

I am at a loss to check now.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Kelly

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of CUCV do you have? The Appedix F-16 diagram is for a M1010.

Odd...
I checked rear plug on both light assemblies...
The right (passenger side) shows the following with a volt meter.
1) brake pedal pressed... both leads will show 12v
2) blinker... both leads will show 12v
3) running lights... both leads will show 12 v

The left drivers side shows the following with a volt meter.
1) brake pedal pressed... one lead will show 12v
2) blinker... one lead will show 12v
3) running lights... one lead will show 12 v

when connected to the light assembly both will either have the running lights on... or if I reverse the light bulbs then the blinker/brake light will work.

Really confused now!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the type of vehicle. It make troubleshooting easier.

Sounds like a wire is shorting out somewhere.

Try disconnecting the ground wire at the right rear housing and check your voltages again. You should only have voltage at one pin and not both.

Here are the wire colors and circuits for the rear

black - ground
brown - park lights
yellow - left stop/turn
dk green - right stop/turn
light green - backup lamps

The diagram shows yellow for the wire going to the right turn signal. I beleive this is a typo and the wire should be dark green, but I have not visually verified the correct color.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks