• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Light Switch burned to a crisp

dw9339

I searched for an answer for my problem, but I didn't find one, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I was moving my truck from its parking spot to the shop to get a brake cylinder replaced and needed to make a quick pit stop at the house. When I pulled up, the brake pedal went to the floor, and I smelled a nasty burning smell. When I hopped out, I saw brake fluid squirting out of the front of the master cylinder and onto the ground.

Here is a shot of the results (sorry for the out of focus cell phone picture).

IMAG0385.jpg

What I would like to do is take off the old switch, put some kind of temporary cap in place, and be able to drive the truck to the shop. I'm swamped at work and don't have time to do the work myself, unfortunately.

Does anyone know where I could source a cap that would fit in the place of the existing switch?

Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Standard pipe plug should work, not sure on size sorry.

Make sure you look into the M.W.O that moves the brake light sensor to the air side, so you won't loose your brakes in the future!

dw9339

Thanks for the suggestion. For the pipe plug, is this something I would ask for at the hardware store or at the auto parts store?

dw9339

Thanks guys! I'll let you know the outcome in a day or so when I can get to the store. I appreciate the help.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take a moment to think through this safely. I always get nervous when we give quick-brake-fix-ideas to someone on an internet bulletin board.

I see you have been a member for over 3 years, so you should be pretty familiar with your truck . . . - but maybe this might help you or the next guy that reads it.

• If you put a pipe plug where the switch was, you won't have any brakes lights.
  • You will have to add fluid and do a proper bleeding job to get brake pedal again.
  • Is the wheel cylinder (that you mentioned for replacement) leaking ? That may make it difficult to successfully bleed it.
  • You should try to find out what caused the switch to burn up. It might have just shorted out internally from the leak, but make sure you don't have bad wiring elsewhere.
  • Is there an option to get the truck towed to the shop for repairs?

You are very lucky this happened in your driveway and not the freeway.

Last edited:

Mike O

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Burning rubber smell, brake fluid everywhere. Luckily it happened in the driveway. I went to Napa and got an Echlin SL134 brake light switch for around $10-$12 and two crimp on insulated bayonet connectors and fixed the problem in about 15 minutes. Bled the brakes and it's worked fine ever since. Moving the switch to the air side is definitely an improvement in safety though.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Burning rubber smell, brake fluid everywhere. Luckily it happened in the driveway. I went to Napa and got an Echlin SL134 brake light switch for around $10-$12 and two crimp on insulated bayonet connectors and fixed the problem in about 15 minutes. Bled the brakes and it's worked fine ever since. Moving the switch to the air side is definitely an improvement in safety though.
It sounds like the Echlin SL134 has worked for you, but others have noted that it's specifications may inadequate. Here is the caution:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?30902-Brake-Light-Switch-WARNING

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an upgrade done for the brake light switch on Deuces. It moves the switch from the MC to the air pack side to eliminate issues like the one here. It was one of the first things I did because of intermittent brake light problems. It's worked perfectly ever since. You can pick them up at most of the normal suppliers.

dw9339

Here is one possible source for the air operated brake light switch:
http://www.ucominc.com/partkits/7006.html

I have not dealt with this vendor, so investigate before purchasing.
Ironically, this was suggested by the OP almost exactly two years ago -->View attachment 418308
Woops, I got caught not installing the parts I ordered two years ago! I blame lack of time to work on my truck on son number two. He turns two in April.

I went to Home Depot today and picked up a variety of pipe caps. I returned home and tried to unscrew the existing switch and put on a cap only to find that I needed a plug instead.

Incidentally, the replacement switch is larger than the original.

Also, I could never get ucominc.com to send me the correct parts. They sent me two elbows and not enough electrical parts, but I plan on picking up the missing components at the auto part store. Hopefully.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
post#2
Standard pipe plug should work, not sure on size sorry.
post#16
I returned home and tried to unscrew the existing switch and put on a cap only to find that I needed a plug instead.
:oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks