• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake light switch upgrade

jeepthrills

I was surfing through PS Magazine Archives (1990) and found the article on the new air style brake light switch. Believe it or not, my rig does not have it. Mine still has the old fluid type. And it has a new master cylinder! I just picked my truck up in April of '04, I ass-u-med it would have all of the common upgrades.. Acording to PS, if the switch goes bad you piss out all of your brake fluid, and then( i love this part) NO BRAKES!! :freaked: :skull: ) Just a thought, you may want to check yours, the upgrade kit (NSN 2530-01-105-5025) is available, and is fairly cheap for a piece of mind.

Also there was something about a brake vent that I cant seem to find any info on., except that it should be a line on the firewall that comes up and bend over another line with a breather on the end. Any one know about this one?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[3][green]Does Saturn have that upgrade kit? The tractors all have the air op switch but others dont' I'll need to be doing that on my pipeline truck. Gang, give me a bit to get organized and I'll post the PS article on the brake vent mods on my pic site. I'll try to get that up today. [/green][/3]

Longhunter7

Guys!

I ordered the upgrade switch from Saturn, but haven't installed it yet!

I am going to wait until Spring to work on it!

There is another step that you should do while you are under there!

At the rear of the airpack, there is a pipe plug that can be removed!

It is suggested that you remove the pipe plug, (can be VERY difficult), and squirt a tablespoon of pneumatic tool oil into the airpack!

If you are using an alcohol evaporator, then it is vital that you re-oil the airpack!

The evaporator keeps your air system from freezing, but it also removes the lubrication! :devil:

If you warm weather members get this upgrade installed, please share the details with us Polar Bears! :smurf:

jeepthrills

LD,

When looking up @ your airpack with the skid plate removed, if the brake light switch is @ the foward most end of the airpack in line with the cylindrical housing, it is the old style. If it is off to the drivers side and connected with a splitter/adapter to an air line , you have the upgrade. Hope this helps.

Loose Deuce

Well I took that skid plate off my Airpack, but the only pressure switch under there is right on the front end of my Master Cylinder. So what is the deal with mine? :shocked:

Airpack Oiling

Longhunter7 said:
It is suggested that you remove the pipe plug, (can be VERY difficult), and squirt a tablespoon of pneumatic tool oil into the airpack!

If you are using an alcohol evaporator, then it is vital that you re-oil the airpack!
Just found the airpack oil maintenece in PS mag section (Well, actually Bjorn stuck my nose in it so I could see it). :)

When you say pneumatic oil, are you talking about the type that you put a couple of drops into the air inlet of air tools?

According to the PS this should be done every 1000 miles :shock:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the stop light switch "upgrade". When in is installed in its original location on the airpak slave cylinder, you will have stop lights even if you happen to lose your air. In the air circuit, no air=no stop lights. I'm keeping my hydraulic switch. If you get a NAPA sub or something just make sure that they are rated for 2,000 psi or more, 4,000-5,000 psi would provide a good margin of safety.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks