• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake lights still dont work , something wrong else where ?

Bugoutwhistler

I Had a thread on before about not having brake lights , I was told that I needed to get a new light switch, and I should think about putting the switch on the air side . I looked at my truck and it has the newer style air pack and the switch is on the air side . I got a new switch and we installed it and had to adjust the brake peddle because it had no play and was to tight and the brakes were to touchy .I still don't have brake lights , well they seem to work ok when you are just sitting still but you still have to press kinda hard I think, when your out on the road they still don't come on unless you smash the peddle and go threw the windshield. I also had an air problem but we just put in a new compressor and air governor so we are all good their. The front seems to pull hard to the right when you hit the brakes and screeches bad ,it all ways did that since I got the truck a couple of months ago, and you don't have to hit the brakes hard for it to pull to the right . I am wondering if that right brake shoe or wheel cylinder has and issue and catches right away before I get enough pressure to turn on the lights . Any thoughts ? I am trying to get an idea so I can figure out what parts I need to start to price out . Need some input guys I good a lot of fire wood to get haulin I need my deuce !

59apache

Chipmaker
Sounds like your brake lights aren't the problem..... :-(
I would suggest to make a full brake service before you even think about driving your truck on the road.

rrrr

Sounds like you have the wrong air switch on the brakes. There are two types; one for the air system pressure that turns the warning buzzer off when pressure reaches about 60psi and the other air switch for the brakes that works at about 5-10psi. If you have the 60psi switch on the brakes you'll have to press really hard on the pedal to get the lights to come on. The switches look identical so its easy to mistake one for the other.

shenkmen

A full inspection and maintenance of the brake system needs to be done which includes pulling the tires and drum to get a visual, inspect all lines (rubber and metal), wheel cylinders, adjust the brakes, etc... Additionally you should inspect and service your bearings and seals.

Download the TM's and learn these systems. Use the troubleshooting sections.

These systems are not difficult to understand. Do a search, there are many threads on the brake system.

Don't mess around, it is a big truck. Make sure everything is in good running order. When everything is done you'll be amazed at how much better it works.

Good luck and search the site.

dmetalmiki

You need to VERY carefull and aware of just how fortunate you (may) have allready been. "screeching" (and or grinding) from a front wheel and pulling to the side could indicate a (very) out of adjustment front wheel bearing set, OR an allready Colapsed Bearing......which will often lead to total siezre, followed by extreme damage which CAN rip off the front shaft stub! with potential catastrophic disaster both for you and anyone else in the way of an out of control heavy vehicle.
First Priority, (and imediate action) pull off the offending wheel,then the hub and check, clean repack or replace if needed, service then adjust and re-assembe.
Highly reccomended to then complete this task on all remaining wheel sets. You will then feel personaly re-assured and safe.

59apache

Chipmaker
or simply metal-to-metal braking.....without lining. But my crystall ball is in the laundry :), so i can't say anything useful. Exept don't drive it.

Jeepsinker

Sounds like it is just out of adjustment on that side to me, as in adjusted tighter than the rest. Still though, if you have never had it apart, go ahead and tear it down and inspect and do some maintenance.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like you have the wrong air switch on the brakes. There are two types; one for the air system pressure that turns the warning buzzer off when pressure reaches about 60psi and the other air switch for the brakes that works at about 5-10psi. If you have the 60psi switch on the brakes you'll have to press really hard on the pedal to get the lights to come on. The switches look identical so its easy to mistake one for the other.
not so. with the wrong switch the lights would stay on until 60 psi which is way past locked up.

you need to pull all the drums and fix the problem whatever it is before you drive it. this is a big truck and not to be taken lightly what damage it can do especially if you still have single circuit brakes.

Last edited:

Bugoutwhistler

thanks everyone for your concern and info about the brakes , now where has the best prices on parts I found 1 set (axle ) of 4 shoes for around $90 does that sound about right ?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Had a thread on before about not having brake lights , I was told that I needed to get a new light switch, and I should think about putting the switch on the air side . I looked at my truck and it has the newer style air pack and the switch is on the air side . I got a new switch and we installed it and had to adjust the brake peddle because it had no play and was to tight and the brakes were to touchy .I still don't have brake lights , well they seem to work ok when you are just sitting still but you still have to press kinda hard I think, when your out on the road they still don't come on unless you smash the peddle and go threw the windshield. I also had an air problem but we just put in a new compressor and air governor so we are all good their. The front seems to pull hard to the right when you hit the brakes and screeches bad ,it all ways did that since I got the truck a couple of months ago, and you don't have to hit the brakes hard for it to pull to the right . I am wondering if that right brake shoe or wheel cylinder has and issue and catches right away before I get enough pressure to turn on the lights . Any thoughts ? I am trying to get an idea so I can figure out what parts I need to start to price out . Need some input guys I good a lot of fire wood to get haulin I need my deuce !
Which thread ?
Need new brake light switch
No brake lights till you mash the peddle ?

You need to keep one thread going so all the information is in one place so pleople know what you have done and the results . Starting a bunch of threads just makes it harder to help you and harder for future searches by people with similar problems . It is time to start reading the TM's so you understand the brake system .

Bugoutwhistler

ok will do and I did down load the tms but like anything , guys that did the stuff before have clues and tricks that are not in the tms , that's why I ask , I worked on cars and trucks for many years but got hurt and am screwed up now so info from everywhere helps .I thought I should start a different thread because it was a different issue, my bad . I will continue on this one with progress or problems, thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks