• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake problem!

tiny110

Banned
I have a deuce that I am getting ready to sale. I'm trying to get all the bugs ironed out of it. The truck has been having brake problems since I got it. But I have never driven it off the property so I never messed with it. The brakes don't feel very soft or squishy they have good pedal pressure. The brakes will eventually slow the truck down but you can't why are the tires up like my other deuce will. I tried bleeding the brakes and flushing the brake lines out. Nothing changed. I can hear the air going in and out of the air pack. I have lost air pressure in the truck before and had to stand on the brake pedal to get it to stop. That's basically what it feels like. I have tried a justing the brake shoes but I'm not for sure I'm doing it correctly. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Flyingvan911

I would guess a bad airpack if you are having problems on the air side. I would have someone step on the brake while you spray soap under the truck.

1. Air up the truck.
2. Stop the engine and chock the wheels.
3. Mash the pedal and spray for leaks.

tiny110

Banned
The sound of the air moving in and out of the air pack sounds normal to me. ( Compared to my other deuce) Would it be doing that if the air pack was bad?

elfkin

i have brake issues also, it is my first duece and not sure where to begin, i got the truck with no brakes at all (bad wheel cylinder) fixed this and bled brakes and adjusted, my brake pedal is hard as stone 1/4 of movement is all it takes to lock up the wheels or at least the drivers side wheels, I'm open to any and ideas

m816

Of all the issues we have found with brakes on Deuces and Five ton trucks, It has always come down to removing the wheels and rebuilding or replacing the wheel cylinders. All the pressure that is supplied by the MC/ Airpac will move the pistons in the wheel cylinders but the return springs just can't make them plow through the mud and crud inside the cylinders. If after rulling out bad MC's and Airpac's and finding or replacing the lines them selves. You will have done all the easy work. Once you get those wheels off and do the maintaince on each wheel. They are really reliable. The best investment for a deuce owner is a wheel dolly.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree, pull the wheels and check the cyls. Also, there is a trouble shooting section in the TMs. Might be of some help too.

Vfflang

Ok I lost my brake today going down the road and then they came back then went out again. I found a small leak, so small that the master cylinder always had fluid and I never noticed it till today when I went crazy pumping the brakes to try to stop. DOT 5 was all over the airpack. I figure when I changed the tail light switch about a year ago I didn't tightness the bolts back from the airpack to the frame so it just shaked from the vibration from the truck for the full year and made a small whole in the line behind the master cylinder. I try to tighten the line but no dice I will need a new line. just a thought not an expert my no means.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok I lost my brake today going down the road and then they came back then went out again. I found a small leak, so small that the master cylinder always had fluid and I never noticed it till today when I went crazy pumping the brakes to try to stop. DOT 5 was all over the airpack. I figure when I changed the tail light switch about a year ago I didn't tightness the bolts back from the airpack to the frame so it just shaked from the vibration from the truck for the full year and made a small whole in the line behind the master cylinder. I try to tighten the line but no dice I will need a new line. just a thought not an expert my no means.

Is this a story or a question?

Vfflang

just given him a place to look. he may have the same problem I had, brakes coming and going. might be as simple as a small leak behind the master cylinder

m816

Jasonic, That is exactly what I have been talking about ever since I started on this site.Yours look no diferent than any I have examined. I am positive it is because the silicone fluid keeps the water seperated so well that it eventually builds up in the cylinders. The hydraulics have plenty of force to actuate the brakes but the return springs can't overcome all that crud that builds up in them. the resulting water and sludge builds until they fail or won't release and everyone thinks it is and airpac problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks