• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake questions

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use it on my stuff. I have done the same in the past and have on hand, fluid that I intend to use in the future. My thought is that it is much better than DOT3 with regard to moisture contamination. I throw out opened bottles of DOT3 one year after I open them despite keeping the bottle tightly closed.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=WillWagner;632897 You can flush the system out with what ever flavor brake fluid you choose to use...I did mine with plain 'ol Prestone dot3 and have had no issues for 5 years +.

Agree with Will on this one for sure. If all new wheel cylinders are being put in the I always switch to Dot 3 and no problems. If your worry about moisture then every so many years hook up the power bleeder and change out the fluid. It will still be cheaper that way than once with Dot 5 and easy to buy/find.

rustystud

WillWagner;632897 You can flush the system out with what ever flavor brake fluid you choose to use...I did mine with plain 'ol Prestone dot3 and have had no issues for 5 years +. Agree with Will on this one for sure. If all new wheel cylinders are being put in the I always switch to Dot 3 and no problems. If your worry about moisture then every so many years hook up the power bleeder and change out the fluid. It will still be cheaper that way than once with Dot 5 and easy to buy/find.[/QUOTE said:
I agree that DOT 3 will work fine in our trucks, I don't agree about the cost of having to replace all the brake fluid every few years though. Buy the silicone fluid once and forget about it or go through the time and cost of replacing the DOT 3 fluid every few years. There are plenty of places that sell silicone brake fluid for a really good price when you buy it in gallons. Then just carry some with you in case you need to add any. No need to buy it from NAPA or any other place that will bend you over on cost. The advantages of using silicone (DOT 5) far out-weigh any advantages of using DOT 3 (cost) . But to each his own.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, on my truck, the brakes need bled often. I've been thinking about swapping over too.

Seems like when I let her sit all winter, spring rolls around and I have no brakes! I then go through the stupid system and use a bunch of dot5. Grrrr

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Rusty price should not be a factor but performance of a fluid. I do drive so slow sometimes. I also look so far ahead of traffic or even figure the light is going red on me I take my foot out of it way early. Sometimes the truck come to a stop by itself or very littler braking needed. Almost think I could drive across country and never hit the brakes so Dot 3 or 5 would not matter then.

rustystud

Well, on my truck, the brakes need bled often. I've been thinking about swapping over too.

Seems like when I let her sit all winter, spring rolls around and I have no brakes! I then go through the stupid system and use a bunch of dot5. Grrrr
Sounds like you have some issues Gimpyrobb ! Like maybe a few leaking wheel seals or lines ! Since I replaced all my brake lines with the "cuprinal" tubing and the flex hoses with the "Stainless Steel Teflon" hoses I have had no more leaks .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have some issues Gimpyrobb !

Some issues hah! I have hung around the guy for just a couple of days at the Ga.rally and now I too am on the usual suspects list.

I had some friends at the Bureau. That is the Bureau of Paranormal Research that would leak out some info once and awhile. They now consider me on the list and I no longer in the loop.
I do know if there is a UFO sighting anywhere in the world that GimpyRobs name comes up. If a Volcano cuts loose anywhere in the world guess who's name comes up. Yea any golf cart miss hap, yea you got it, GimpyRob. Great Guy to hang around with if you don't mind a spy satellite always over head. We got trouble,right here in River City and that starts with T and rimes with P and that stands for Pool. Yea we got trouble right here in River City.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get me wrong case this guy is always there to help but at the Ga. rally he had me drink something that made me piss my paints.

I was sitting in the tent with the boys and he said I have something for you.
He jumped up turned around and gave me a wink said I will mix it up right here in the sink.
It smelled like turpentine and looked like India Ink. So I held my nose, closed my eyes and took a drink.
I did not know if it was day or night and started kicking everything in sight. But when I kicked a cop down on 34th & Vine he broke my little mug of GimpyRob #9

rustystud

Don't get me wrong case this guy is always there to help but at the Ga. rally he had me drink something that made me piss my paints.

I was sitting in the tent with the boys and he said I have something for you.
He jumped up turned around and gave me a wink said I will mix it up right here in the sink.
It smelled like turpentine and looked like India Ink. So I held my nose, closed my eyes and took a drink.
I did not know if it was day or night and started kicking everything in sight. But when I kicked a cop down on 34th & Vine he broke my little mug of GimpyRob #9
OK, you got me laughing so hard I pissed MY pants !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know your old enough Rusty to remember the song Love potion # 9 and the other reference starts with T and rimes with P and that stands for pool was the Music Man. I liked the movie. O well I took this thread way off base so stick me with a fork I'm done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks