• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake safety precautions

rtadams89

I'm new to my deuce and the thing that worries me the most about it is the braking system. As I plan to take the Deuce off road in AZ, I'm concerned that one of the flexible brake hoses (these seem the most exposed to me) will get damaged by rocks, cactus, debris and leak or completely fail. With the deuces single circuit braking system, I would basically be stuck.

As a precaution, I think I might want to carry a spare front flexible hose (which should work for the rear hoses too in a pinch). But, replacing the hose won't be enough if any fluid has been lost; presumably I should carry some extra DOT5 fluid with me. But then comes the question, should I also carry a power bleeder? As I start adding up the cost of all the tools, parts, and spare fluids and combined with the risk of a single circuit brake system, I start wondering if I shouldn't just spring for a dual circuit upgrade and limp home on half a system should an issue come up on the trails.

Just thinking out loud really, but any input as to what you would carry/do is appreciated?
1) Carry just a plug and wrench to remover and plug off a leaking/failed flexible line; limp home without brakes on one wheel.
2) Carry a spare flexible hose, wrench, and small amount of DOT5 fluid.
3) Carry a spare flexible hose, wrench, and power bleeder full of DOT5.
4) Convert to a dual circuit system and carry no brake repair parts; limp home on 1/2 braking.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Facts: You can't carry enough tools, to take care of all the possible failures that "might" occur. It wasn't that many years ago, that all vehicles had single circuit brakes - we just used them, because we didn't know any better.

With regular maintenance, you'll gain a lot of confidence in your vehicle.

rustystud

If your really concerned about the flex lines, then replace them with the stainless steel PTFE hoses. Peashooter has a great write-up on those hoses and brake lines. These hoses can handle over 2,000 psi and with the stainless steel braid can take a really good hit and still be OK. We actually had a transmission hang by a 3/8" line (by accident) once at work. This was a "Allison" 3000 series bus transmission weighing in at around 900 Ibs. The line never broke and we connected it up to see if it would still work and it did ! We then changed it out just to be safe.

59apache

Chipmaker
I cannot agree with the maintenance thing. Maintenance is important, but can not help if on a one-circuit brake anything goes wrong.
I've seen brake failure on a perfect maintened M109 (new hoses, wheel cylinder etc.) TWICE!
Last week i've removed all the tubes in the rear frame. Nice from every side. But on the contact area to the frame....nice rusted.

Aarons hoses (rubber or PTFE) are a good step in right direction. Conversion to dual circuit is the way to go.
We don't live in the 50's .... more traffic, more speed.Dumper drivers with cell phones....
Just my 2 cents

Greetings Juergen

red

Replacing the hoses as rustystud mentioned is a important start, and for a trailside repair I used to carry pipe plugs of the proper size to cap off a broken brake line. That way if a line or wheel cylinder failed there would still be usable brakes from the other axles after installing the plug and refilling the fluid. Cheaper and easier to store than a spare set of brake hoses and wheel cylinders.

That does not address the fact that there is no good backup system. As many have said on this forum the stock tcase parking brake is inadequate as a emergency brake so either upgrading to a dual circuit system or installing pinion brakes on the rear axles is recommended.

CMPPhil

Hi All

Over the years I've seen a number of field expedient recoveries of MVs involving every thing from blown hoses, complete cylinder failures, tubing failure, and one lose of entire dual wheel drum hub assembly. In each case the tool to seal off the offending section of the brake system was a pair of clamp on pliers. Fortunately all of these where on other guys trucks, the fun of traveling in convoy.

With this in mind I keep a minimal tool kit in each truck, for awhile shifted the kit from one truck to another. Until the inevitable happen switched trucks an didn't move the tool kit. Now keep one of those simple kit boxes in each of the trucks and a pair of clamp-on pliers, couple quarts of oil, quart of brake fluid, quart of gear oil.

Cheers Phil

rustystud

brakes were one of the deciding factors on the lmtv I wanted air brakes without the heft of a full on 5 ton truck
You know if there was a reasonably priced option of going to air-brakes on the deuce I would do it. Since the only way is to install 5 ton axles under it, that option is out. Just buy the 5 ton, or the LMTV .

red

Hi All

Over the years I've seen a number of field expedient recoveries of MVs involving every thing from blown hoses, complete cylinder failures, tubing failure, and one lose of entire dual wheel drum hub assembly. In each case the tool to seal off the offending section of the brake system was a pair of clamp on pliers. Fortunately all of these where on other guys trucks, the fun of traveling in convoy.

With this in mind I keep a minimal tool kit in each truck, for awhile shifted the kit from one truck to another. Until the inevitable happen switched trucks an didn't move the tool kit. Now keep one of those simple kit boxes in each of the trucks and a pair of clamp-on pliers, couple quarts of oil, quart of brake fluid, quart of gear oil.

Cheers Phil
the flat vice grips work great with rubber hoses but not with the steel braided hose. Theres also the hydromax option with a dual circuit master cylinder.

saddamsnightmare

December 6th, 2016.

Or buy an ex-USAF deuce that has had the dual system brake mod applied at the factory. This is the extremely weak spot in the deuce, the lack of an economical, superbly engineered dual cylinder master brake unit. Loose any hose, any line and you have just checked yourself onto a 7 ton rocket with no brakes...... This is why I say again, do all your maintenance and pre-trip inspection, then treat every stop like is going to be a brake failure, because sooner or later, it will be.....

In combat conditions the Army could lose an occasional truck or GI, can you afford that if you're the driver/owner????:!: Lawyers are like sharks, always hungry, always waiting.......

rustystud

December 6th, 2016.

Or buy an ex-USAF deuce that has had the dual system brake mod applied at the factory. This is the extremely weak spot in the deuce, the lack of an economical, superbly engineered dual cylinder master brake unit. Loose any hose, any line and you have just checked yourself onto a 7 ton rocket with no brakes...... This is why I say again, do all your maintenance and pre-trip inspection, then treat every stop like is going to be a brake failure, because sooner or later, it will be.....

In combat conditions the Army could lose an occasional truck or GI, can you afford that if you're the driver/owner????:!: Lawyers are like sharks, always hungry, always waiting.......
That is why I recommend that all deuce owners convert their brake lines to stainless steel or "cuprinal" lines like Peashooter was selling. Also replace all the flex lines with the "PTFE stainless steel" braided hose. This way you will not have a brake failure due to loosing a brake line or hose.

59apache

Chipmaker
Even new parts can fail...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?90112-Brake-hose-failure-new-hose!
The hoses in the thread are NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Aaron / Peashooter. I've ordered after that "event" 3 sets from Aaron.....quality rubber hose.
But to clear my point.....even the best maintened system with the best parts can fail. And on a sigle circuit system there is no safety backup. It's simple went ballistic.