• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake shoes

FLYWHEEL

Received my brake shoes yesterday from Kublos surplus, all the way to the U.K. just like to say thanks to Ken for his help getting this order to me I will definitely be ordering parts from him again:beer: cheers Ken

20151121_091522.jpg20151121_091500.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

It helps if you have the machine tool to do it, but it can be done with a hammer and punch, or anvil. It really is easy. Getting the old rivets drilled out is the hardest part. If memory serves, the friction pads run about $13 per wheel end, and the rivets are cheap too.

rustystud

I do it like this guy does in the video. Its super easy and linings are easy to come by. I do the additional step of leveling the lining on a drum sander, but its not really needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff5fN_wY9Yc
Remember don't breathe in any of that dust ! The asbestos industry got the EPA to reverse the ban on using asbestos in brakes and clutches about 10 years ago. You don't hear about it much but it's back in there.

loosescrews

Remember don't breathe in any of that dust ! The asbestos industry got the EPA to reverse the ban on using asbestos in brakes and clutches about 10 years ago. You don't hear about it much but it's back in there.
Thats no joke, I mask up whenever anything brake related can possibly get airborne, and when using DCS.

AZK9

I do it like this guy does in the video. Its super easy and linings are easy to come by. I do the additional step of leveling the lining on a drum sander, but its not really needed. ...
Thanks for posting that video, Loosescrews! Very informative! [thumbzup]

JohnnyBM931A2

Yup. When I was in school our teacher cautioned us about breathing in dust from brake systems. And NEVER blow brakes off with an air gun.

rustystud

Well that sucks... I basically bathe in brake cleaner and brake dust every time I go through a hub.
Yeah it is pretty sucky. The EPA banned the use of "asbestos" in all motor vehicles in the mid 1980s. Then the asbestos manufacturing industry petitioned congress to overturn the ban since no other material could be found to replace the asbestos material without great cost to U.S. manufacturing ( cost to much to substitute anything else ). So then in the late 1980's early 1990's they slowly put back the asbestos in brake and clutch linings. The media didn't say much about it either. I only knew about it because we had a seminar on it from the brake supplier (Raybestos) who provided our linings for our shoes. We rebuild all our brakes shoes in house. Everyone must do their turn in the "brake room" , hence the class.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks