• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake shoes

Bacon4x

In this thread yeager1 asked about relining brake shoes with a higher than stock friction compound. Has anyone tried this?
The code on the side of my brake shoes say they are made from a friction compound with a rating of FF, meaning that the coefficient of friction is between 0.35 and 0.45 when the shoes are both cold and hot. If you could reline with a GG compound, which is rated between 0.45 and 0.55, then you would increase your stopping power and reduce your brake pedal effort by about 20%. This could be a relatively cheap and effective improvement to the brakes.

Bacon4x

Perhaps the shoes would wear a bit faster, but I don't know that for sure, and for the average deuce driver I don't think you would notice any difference. I would say 99% of people driving these trucks just don't drive it enough to be concerned about the rate of wear between an FF vs. GG brake shoe compound. As for the drum I don't think its significant there either.