• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Tube/Fitting sizes?

erasedhammer

I tried looking up some part numbers for the inverted flare fittings in the brake system, but I cannot find any details about the thread spec or nut size, if the part number even exists.
And the few posts on here I hear reference to 3/16 and 1/4" tube sizes. But the part #s won't tell me...

Can anyone help with tracking down the tube size and nut size?
All of these, I couldnt even find the part number online or the result showed nothing about the size.

Master Cylinder Front Res to Proportioning Valve
-Tube #603827 - Unk Diameter​
-Nuts #137397/#9424955 - Unk size (Are these two different nuts on the same line??)​
Master Cylinder Rear Res to Proportioning Valve
-Tube #3696822 - Unk Diameter​
-Nut #15607227 - Unk Size​
Proportioning valve to each front caliper (excluding flex hose)
-Tube #3696822 - Unk Diameter​
-Nut #9432075 - Unk Size​
Proportioning Valve to Rear (Frame Junction)
-Nut #9424955/#137397 - Unk Size (Again, why the two part #s?)​
Frame Junction to Rear Brake weight proportioning valve
-Nut #9432075 - Unk Size​

Theres also the small part that jumps between the weight proportioning valve and the flex hose, part #14036792, which is sold out/discontinued everywhere and the TM doesn't have a raw tube part number to make it out of (apparently it was only sold as a pre bent unit?). Best part of that is I just had that line blow open on the road. The rust is real.

Again, the part numbers are not showing specs on the sites I've been checking. I'm trying to have some custom lines made up, and I can measure the length by hand, but tube and nut sizes I need before ordering.

And just to clarify, these flares are the inverted double flare style?

cucvrus

I think I have a small brake tube for the rear anti lock rear brake system on the CUCV trucks and cab chassis models. Brand new GM. I have made a few. The one side is a metric flare nut and the other is standard. I have a few of the height sensor valves and linkage also. But just for the record you can bend tubing flare it and install. Let me know if I can assist.

erasedhammer

I think I have a small brake tube for the rear anti lock rear brake system on the CUCV trucks and cab chassis models. Brand new GM. I have made a few. The one side is a metric flare nut and the other is standard. I have a few of the height sensor valves and linkage also. But just for the record you can bend tubing flare it and install. Let me know if I can assist.
Thanks for the offer, but I want to make my own lines from stainless steel to avoid the rusting issue in the future.

I'm mainly looking for part numbers to specific specs (thread size, count, hex size, tube diameter) so I can identify which sections use what and not waste time or money ordering supplies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get fittings to go from metric to standard threads and use pre-made lines ( still have to bend them ) , Myself I by rolls of tubing and make my own.

erasedhammer

LMC Truck offers pre-bent stainless steel brake lines. Cost is $200-250, I think.

Scott
That kit looks very enticing. I am concerned that I have a dually K30, and their kits only go up to K20 (1/2 ton). I'd hope the brake lines are rated for the higher gvwr.
It looks like #34-5633 (Brake Line Kit-8pc-Pwr Longbed 4 Wheel Drive 1/2 Ton 81-87) is the one that might fit a CUCV.

Guyfang

Staff member
-Nut #137397
THREAD CLASS2A
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
FABRICATION METHODBAR STOCK, MACHINED OR FORGED
CASEHARDENING INDICATORNOT CASEHARDENED
OVERALL LENGTH0.594 INCHES NOMINAL
THREAD SIZE7/16-24
TUBE OUTSIDE DIAMETER FOR WHICH DESIGNED0.250 INCHES NOMINAL
III END ITEM IDENTIFICATIONGRUMMAN A10 AIRCRAFT
SEAT ANGLE IN DEG45.0
SCREW THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNS
WIDTH ACROSS FLATS0.438 INCHES NOMINAL
SMALLEST INSIDE DIAMETER0.255 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.258 INCHES MAXIMUM
MATERIALSTEEL
PROPRIETARY CHARACTERISTICSPACS
STYLE DESIGNATORINVERTED NUT, TUBE, FLARE
SPECIFICATION/STANDARD DATA81343-J512 PROFESSIONAL/INDUSTRIAL ASSOCIATION STANDARD
NONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA9 FIGURE
THREAD class2A
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
FABRICATION METHODANY ACCEPTABLE
CASEHARDENING INDICATORNOT CASEHARDENED
OVERALL LENGTH0.620 INCHES NOMINAL
THREAD SIZE9/16-18
TUBE OUTSIDE DIAMETER FOR WHICH DESIGNED0.250 INCHES NOMINAL
SEAT ANGLE IN DEG45.0
SCREW THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNF
WIDTH ACROSS FLATS0.557 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.562 INCHES MAXIMUM
SMALLEST INSIDE DIAMETER0.257 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.262 INCHES MAXIMUM
SPECIAL FEATURESBLUE HUE FINISH FOR IDENTIFICATION
MATERIALSTEEL
SURFACE TREATMENTCHROMATE ZINC
STYLE DESIGNATORINVERTED NUT, TUBE, FLARE

Tube #3696822 4710-00-395-5144
Nut #15607227 5310-00-380-1514
Tube #603827

part #14036792
WALL THICKNESS0.035 INCHES NOMINAL
THREAD CLASS2A FIRST END
THREAD CLASS2A SECOND END
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND FIRST END
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND SECOND END
MATING END QUANTIy1 SECOND END
MATING END QUANTITY1 FIRST END
TUBING MATERIALSTEEL
END CONNECTION STYLESWIVEL NUT, INVERTED FLARE FIRST END
END CONNECTION STYLESWIVEL NUT, INVERTED FLARE SECOND END
DESIGN FORMPREBENT
TUBE OUTSIDE DIAMETER0.250 INCHES NOMINAL
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0.438 INCHES FIRST END
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0.500 INCHES SECOND END
MATERIALSTEEL SINGLE END
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNS FIRST END
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNS SECOND END

ehuppert

I buy rolls of nicopp and make my own. Will outlast the rest of the truck..... Like making my own so I can secure neatly. The nicopp bends easily by hand, much nicer to work with than stainless. The particular product I use comes with a bag of fittings.

Unfortunately I'm in the rustbelt, have some experience replacing brake and fuel lines! And also other assorted under vehicle metal pieces.....

Keith_J

Copper nickel alloy gets my approval too. Stainless requires premium tooling to properly form the double flare. Copper nickel is easier than steel to form.

cucvrus

I never seen the point of using stainless steel parts on a steel frame and body. Exhaust is even going a bit far. But it ain't my vehicle. I had an M1009 that had a complete SS exhaust system, and it was great, but it was on it when I bought it. It never wore out as long as I had it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never seen the point of using stainless steel parts on a steel frame and body. Exhaust is even going a bit far. But it ain't my vehicle. I had an M1009 that had a complete SS exhaust system, and it was great, but it was on it when I bought it. It never wore out as long as I had it.
Since frames are 10x or more thicker than exhaust , it makes sense using stainless in states that dump salt like there is a never ending supply ,
or replace it every year or two .

cucvrus

Copper nickel alloy gets my approval too.
I have used this stuff on salt spreader trucks that the frames rusted thru and the copper nickel brake line were still in place. They were exposed for 10 + years. Go figure. The frames on a CUCV pick up like to rust thru right at the front and rear axle spring hangers. The shackles go first and then the mounts. I replaced many of them. I have stock in CUCV frame mounts I removed over the years. Oil pans rusting thru, motor mount supports. I seen and replaced them all up here in the semi salty area I live in. The further north you go the worse it gets. I mean these trucks are quickly approaching their 40th anniversary. Everyday another CUCV bites the dust. Rust never sleeps. It may be slowed but never stopped. Have a Great Day and stay warm. It was snowing here yesterday. No Salt required.

erasedhammer

Copper nickel alloy gets my approval too.
I have used this stuff on salt spreader trucks that the frames rusted thru and the copper nickel brake line were still in place. They were exposed for 10 + years. Go figure. The frames on a CUCV pick up like to rust thru right at the front and rear axle spring hangers. The shackles go first and then the mounts. I replaced many of them. I have stock in CUCV frame mounts I removed over the years. Oil pans rusting thru, motor mount supports. I seen and replaced them all up here in the semi salty area I live in. The further north you go the worse it gets. I mean these trucks are quickly approaching their 40th anniversary. Everyday another CUCV bites the dust. Rust never sleeps. It may be slowed but never stopped. Have a Great Day and stay warm. It was snowing here yesterday. No Salt required.
I wonder what the market is like for frame assemblies. My frame is pretty much covered in rust, yet to see any perforations though (other than brackets).
I hope to soon pull the body and drivetrain out and do a hot dip galvanization, might be easier with a less rusty frame and just do a swap when the time comes.

cucvrus

I had multiple CUCV pick up frames a few years back. Now I am down to one nice, clean, straight M1009 frame that I am going to have blasted and painted. I am going to keep it and stock it for sale when someone needs a nice clean M1009 frame. They are not making these parts anymore and I wish I would have had better hindsight as I scrapped many valuable CUCV parts, frames over the last 27 years. Good Luck in your search. I think the Hillbilly Wizard may have a few CUCV truck frames. Nice frames are hard to come by. All frames are NOT created equal.

erasedhammer

A quick follow-up to the LMC truck stainless kit. I decided to go with it because it was an easy option for long lasting brake lines.
One big caveat, they do not sell a kit for K30's and so, the rear lines going into the load sensing brake valve do not fit at all. I also ran into issues with the rear axle lines not fitting at all, but thats mostly due to my truck being a dually with the D70HD. I managed to get those lines in fine, but they didn't quite match up to the contours of the original.

I don't haul anything heavy, so if the K20 trucks don't need that valve, then I don't need it either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks