• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes LOCKED UP HELP!!!

Gamagoat1

Loosen the break line coming out of the MC. That will bleed the pressure off the system allowing you to move. It just might free the valve in question. Still needs to be cleaned out or exchanged.

Monkeyboyarmy

I had this happen to me when I picked up my 816 wrecker from Columbus.Many parts were missing and in the process of finding air leaks,I plugged the front emergency glad hand line with a plug.Started down the road and the truck got slower and slower...without touching the brakes.I realized the brakes were dragging and pulled into a rest area.Brake pedal wouldn't move.Removed that plug from the front glad hand (found out later it was supposed to be vented) and been driving it ever since.Just make sure your vent or this line going back to the air pack isn't plugged up.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i did a dump thing with one glad hand as ron told me. i should have wrote it down. :oops: this truck had a new MC as well as a new airpack.

vinny-socom1

I believe mine has a vent on the glade hand cover, but I'll check it out my only issue is I have not done anything to the truck brake system for 9-10 months now and have driven over 900miles? it seems that something like that would have shown up sooner right?

keep the comments coming I'll be checking them all out tommorrow to see which one works!
Vinny

jatonka

The odds are your right front gladhand vent is not working. My 5 ton dump truck showed the same brakes locking up problem. I replaced air-pac, master cylinder, and all rubber hoses. Didn't fix it at all. Friend in NJ with 816 wrecker went through the same thing, replaced it all, fixed nothing. Old timer told him to fix the right front gladhand vent and let him know if it works better. Need I say anymore? JT out

vinny-socom1

OK I checked my front gladhand this morning and it has a vent, I removed the cover anyway and started the truck, air pressure up and brake pedal was OK until I pushed it down now the pedal is hard as a rock brakes are locked up again. If I open the rear service valve air is coming out?I also notice on the front service line it is also leaking but not as much as the rear, sounds like something is appling the brakes right? I was planning on swapping the MC today but I just want to make sure thats the problem.

Vinny

poppop

Once the master pumps up and locks it is telling the air-pac to apply brakes all the time. That is why air is coming out the service line.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stick by my diagnosis of a blocked compensating port (for whatever reason) in the master. If the pushrod has free play swap the master, if it doesn't have free play, give it some (via adjustment) and check again!

vinny-socom1

Well I'm not sure what was wrong, I swapped out the MC and the steel line and it seems to be working just fine now. The MC was really nasty but the line coming out was fairly clean??? Anyway it looks like I'll be taking it to the Rally!!!!! Thanks goes to everyone who responded I'm really happy with this CLUB we have alot of great people here!!

Now I've got to get a rebuild kit..
Vinny

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right this is the best club in the world. just ask and you shall recive . its the little extra effort that most go to that make it what it is. :-D