• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes shoes slow release

Robin Strong

I've been having problem with brakes showy retracting.
I've rebuilt the air pack and master cylinder and power bleed system. Had good flow no leaks and all fittings are secure. Installed new brake peddle retention spring, was missing.
All that is left now is wheel cylinder. Next is cheap and adjust shoe clearance.
Be worth while to rekit if cylinders not to far gone?

Thanks in advance for worthwhile responses.

I'm confident that Air pack and master cylinder are done correctly.

18operator

It has happened to me also. More pressure when applying the brakes opens up the flexible hoses. When brake applying is released the hoses swell shut holding in hydraulic pressure at the wheel cylinder, almost like a line lock.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It would be wise do renew or refurbish brake cylinders especially if one does all the work to get to them.
The brake cylinders work best with the proper rebuild parts, lots of information here in SS about that.
Also check to assure it is all working as per design when you get it apart. I can send to you videos and such in the email but can not attach those files in SS.
Send message, I will send the videos.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
important stuff

try search military truck wheel cylinder kit in the online auctions

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This post also has a few tips. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/brake-frustrations.198123/

Can't hurt to remove the splash plate of the MC lid and also check with a flashlight that there is a vigorous stream of brake fluid returning to the MC when the brake pedal is released. Should see the brake fluid well up in the reservoir. Return hole is at the bottom, fairly far to the rear, if memory serves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks