• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes

sprockett2103

Hi all..

sorry if this has been done before..

after driving through some pretty big floods, parked deuce up for prob 3 months, next drive the brake pedal wouldn't release, brakes all worked fine..

been underneath today, there is rusty fluid coming out the fron rubber boot on the master cyl, looks like waters rusted the bore, any opinions wether this will repair if I take it apart and clean it all, looks like the boot wasn't fitted properly.

Is the pipe on the master cyl lid just an air vent or does it do something else..

it looks like its all been replace quite recently, so assume all the old fluid is replaced with dot 5, any way to test what's in there? Or just flush all the old fluid as a matter of course.

Cheers all

:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be uncomfortable driving the truck knowing that the truck had been driven through water and not serviced immediately. I would go through everything for peace of mind. As far as brake fluid, remove some and drop it in a cup of water. If it mixes it is NOT DOT 5.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any time the MV has gone through deep water , you need to service everything ! from changing the driveline fluids , to wheel bearings and complete brake inspection . If it was deep enough to get water in the brake MC boot , you were pretty deep . Off hand I would say the MC is junk , because it sat for so long . MV's come with DOT 5 unless somebody changed it out , doesn't matter , you need to flush the entire system and refill with new fluid . BTW , that is a vent pipe on the MC , unless somebody added the remote fill . You need to download the TM's from this site , check the dash plate tells you what you need to know for the TM's . This is the FUN part about owning a MV , you get up close and personnel with your vehicle , good luck !

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
rtk said everything I was going to say. I wouldn't move that truck until I pulled all the hubs, replaced or rebuilt the master, flushed the brake system, etc.

Sapper55

Howdy,
My 70' Deuce has been sitting for approx 5 years. Had to rebuild the airpack and replace all the DOT 5 fluid. Now I have no pedal pressure. It goes all the way to the floorboard. Used a pressure bleeder and the system pressurizes and holds at 25psi. Just no pedal pressure. MC is in good shape though old, may need rebuild(?). Regards, Sapper55

welldigger

Pull the boot back on the master cylinder and check for fluid. If its dry its good. If there's fluid it needs rebuilt. Are you bleeding in the correct order?

Sapper55

Pull the boot back on the master cylinder and check for fluid. If its dry its good. If there's fluid it needs rebuilt. Are you bleeding in the correct order?
:???:Welldigger, I disassembled the MC and cleaned and reassembled and reinstalled it. I did not rebuild it, guess I should have. Now it shows wet around the bottom of the boot. I had to rebuild the front wheel cylinders, they were both rusted and wouldn't bleed at all. I think I'll have to remove the rear hubs and inspect/rebuild each of the wheel cylinders. They all bled purple. I really appreciate your replying to my post. I need all the help I can get. Sapper

welldigger

If there is any pitting in the bore of the MC replace it. Well, deep pitting. I re-read your original post and I suggest you check all wheel cylinders while your at it. Since your truck was flooded it would be prudent to check the wheel bearings and replace the gear oil in everything. Since you will have everything apart anyways it will be very easy to check the 4 rear wheel cylinders.

welldigger

One more thing. When you have the MC apart look through the cap and make sure the 2 tiny holes in the bottom of the reservoir are open and clear.

armyvet67

How do you know if your airpack is working correctly? Should I be able to lock all tires on hard stand? My truck stops real good but I can't lock the tires on pavement and leave black marks.

Thanks

welldigger

If it stops good then it is more than likely working fine. Trust me, if it wasn't you would know. If you are really wanting to be able to lock them up you should check the adjustment of the shoes.

armyvet67

Thanks very much. I guess I worry to much about my brakes. I really enjoy driving my deuce but we need to know that we can stop when we need to. I think the AIRPACK is the part most people worry about and the least understood. But thank God for steelsoldier and you guys that know and don't mind helping others.
THANKS.

welldigger

A thorough brake inspection is something all deuce owners should do periodically. At the same time this gives you a good opportunity to check the wheels bearings and regrease them as needed.

The air pak isn't nearly as mysterious as people assume. Most folks (non MV owners) confuse it with having something to do with full air brakes. It actually has almost nothing in common with full air brakes.

Think of the vacuum booster in your normal car or small truck. It serves the exact same function except, instead of vacuum, it uses air pressure to boost the brakes.

m816

A friend brought his deuce into the shop last week. His complaint was that since he went running around in deep mud, his brakes stick intermittenly. I tested the brakes and found that they do work. I removed all the wheesl and found mud inside the wheels. That the rear brakes were worn to the rivets. The wheel bearings need replacing at this point as well. The wheel cylinders are all dry, no pits and no fluid leaking. They slide manualy and appear to be in working order. The airpack is working as it should. ( no leaks, holds air, and doesn't lock up for me) I am going to replace all the rear berings, seals and brake shoes. It looks line his problem is the worn shoes. I will complete the system check and replace any rubber lines and go over the front brakes and cylinders as well. The brakes were worn at the top more than at the bottom. So I will be doing a major brake adjustment on the shoes when they are installed. We will flush the system and replace with new Dot five fluid.. All the seals we removed during the process will be replaced and the lube will be changes as needed if there is any indication of water inflitration. I don't expect to find any because we already replaced the seals on this truck within the last two years; but with the hard use this truck is getting, we will check everything out befor releasing this truck. Please remember to wash the undercariage after running in the bogs. There was mud inside the brakes. I think that if he had at least washed it once in a while, there would not have been so much wear. Some of the shoes would not pivot on the bottom pins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks