• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand new 3053, brand new Waterloo kit, started popping out of 5th

Jeepsinker

Ok, I've got about 5,000 miles on my brand new ( not reman) transmission that I installed the Waterloo overdrive kit into, and day before yesterday it popped out of 5th whIle cruising on a slight downhill grade with around 1500 pounds in the bed. Only did it once that day. Yesterday it did it twice, once in the same spot at the same speed, and once in another similar patch of road, and it happened once today. Never did it before, and never did it while towing anything.

I did inspect everything when I installed the Waterloo kit and made certain it was in fact a brand new trans and not a rebuilt unit with worn parts. Funny thing is that I can not reach up and pull it out of gear at all unless I push the clutch in.

Obviously something isn't right, and I'd rather address the issue before something gets damaged beyond repair. All the parts went in very well and it has been working flawlessly up until now. I've never even scratched a gear yet with it.

So what am I looking at? Maybe a defective synchro?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like a worn syncro. You don't rest your hand on the shifter while driving do you? Pop the top off and post some pics!

Jeepsinker

No I don't really, as I drive with my right hand mostly. No freakin' way I wore out a brand new synchro in 5,000 miles. My old one held up fine under my driving habits.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull the top and take a closer look at the synchronizer dogs. Check the wear marks, maybe parts are only partially engaging for some reason?
The drawing below shows what you have right now. Note that full travel of the synchronizer hub should be little over 1/2".

Try to post some closeups of what you see. Eventually install another syncro if this one doesn't look 100%.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I'll have to get another lid gasket before I pull the cover. This is something I don't want leaking. If I do in fact have to change the synchro, I will have to drop the transmission now, because the main shaft can't come out separately from the counter shaft. Well, it can, but they are way easier to reinstall with the transmission out of the truck.

Jeepsinker

Come to think of it, I may have a bent shift fork. I remember now that the first time I drove it after the install, I had a very difficult time pulling it out of 5th gear a couple of times and I had to pull on the shifter really hard, almost with both hands. But once I got it out of gear I never had the issue again. I attributed it to not being broken in yet.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL... gear oil is the very best (and cheapest) rust preservative...!:)
But seriously; very seldom did I have to actually replace that gasket. Normally it just takes a bit of brake cleaner to remove oil; let dry, then lightly coat with RTV just before install.

I agree, it's a bit more work to replace that synchro, for this O.D. kit.

When you shift in and out of 5th, can you still positively feel the poppet ball & spring action of the shift mechanism? That's something to observe, when the 8 bolts of the cover are off: if it feels differently, with the cover slightly moved forward, say 1/8".

G.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yes it does still positively lock into 5th.

The reason for needing a new cover gasket, is because when I put it together I sealed this gasket with copper gasket sealant. I meant for it not to leak or be removed for a very long time. I'm sure that if I remove it the gasket will peel or tear.
I'm almost sure now that I must have bent the shift fork. If that is the case, I will just steal one off of another old cover that I have in the shop on the shelf.

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Garrett, what did it end up being (for popping out of 5th)? Mine started doing that the other day too. I noticed it when going through an intersection, one of those ones that takes you over a hump in the middle and when I came down the other side and the truck got springy that's when it happened both times. Never did that before. Could have been from me bouncing in the seat giving the accelerator pedal some extra punch thus torquing the transmission. Just curious what you found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepsinker

Honestly, I didn't even have to take anything apart. I remember pulling on the shifter really hard to get it out of 5th the first time I drove it after install, and that had to be when I bent the fork. The fix was simple; when it popped out of 5th the last time, I pushed the clutch in, stuck it back in gear, and pushed forward on the shifter just as hard as I remembered trying to pull it out of gear. Not one hiccup since.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have them put in a calibrated elbow or was that the other side?

;-)

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove the heck out of it yesterday, bumps, uneven pavement, goosed the engine, no issues. But I'll try the elbow trick if it does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks