• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand new Newby question M998

Thumper580

I'm about to buy a 1996 M998 four door that went through the West Virginina Reset program in 2008. Anything to be aware of it concerned about. It has the updated data plate on the drivers door. It has a 6.2L motor and 3 speed transmission. Is this still OK? I didn't know if 100% were automatically updated with 6.5 and the 4 speed.

Thanks guys. Great forum.

Ajax MD

How did you verify that it's the 6.2 vs 6.5L ?

Mine was reset and got the 6.5L but they kept the 3 speed.

I'm about to buy a 1996 M998 four door that went through the West Virginina Reset program in 2008. Anything to be aware of it concerned about. It has the updated data plate on the drivers door. It has a 6.2L motor and 3 speed transmission. Is this still OK? I didn't know if 100% were automatically updated with 6.5 and the 4 speed.

Thanks guys. Great forum.
A 1996 with a 6.2L, doesn't sound right. If I have my dates correct, as of 94 they moved onto the 6.5L

Ajax MD

I'm taking the word of the current owner....guess I should verify that.... Is there a easy way to check? Thanks.
Yes, fairly easy. Remove the "doghouse" inside the cab and post a photo of the rear of the engine. The fuel pump has a particular orientation for the 6.2L and the 6.5L. They are different. That's the quick and easy way.

Also, I *think* that if the valve cover has a GEP label on it, it must be a 6.5L. I don't believe that GEP ever produced the 6.2L. (General Engine Products)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Fuel pump behind the dog house???

No wonder I'am having troubles. Damm dog buried it there and eat the bones off the hood, CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an '87. It has a 6.2 and the 3 speed.

3 speed will limit you to 50MPH. 4 speed will allow 65MPH.

For offroading and trails, 3 speed is awesome. For long hauls on the highway, you will want to update that transmission.

(Juan Prado has a 3 speed that he swears will to 70, so there must be something geared differently. For the rest of us mortals, 50MPH - 55MPH is the maximum SAFE speed to drive that engine RPM-wise).

Daves86

Welcome to the madness. Where in Virginia are you? Is it already titled? 6.2 with 3 speed is right for an '86. Hope your not in a hurry to get anywhere in it.

Ajax MD

Fuel pump behind the dog house???

No wonder I'am having troubles. Damm dog buried it there and eat the bones off the hood, CAMO
Sorry, I'm operating on 4 hours' sleep and I'm un-caffinated. Oil pump/tach-o drive.

papakb

The easiest way to determine whether your engine is a 6.2 or a 6.5 is to remove the doghouse cover and look at the STE/ICE RPM sensor hold down bolt location. The 6.2 bolt is to the left of the sensor and the 6.5 bolt is to the right of the sensor.

Thumper580

Welcome to the madness. Where in Virginia are you? Is it already titled? 6.2 with 3 speed is right for an '86. Hope your not in a hurry to get anywhere in it.
I'm in Mechanicsville, VA. It has a current VA. title..... Yes, must add extra travel time.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks