• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand new X doors. Who's interested???

3jacks

Love the idea. I bought a set from SMR in Wilmington and am currently refurbishing them. I thought about doing exactly what you are doing. The market will dictate how well you do and your price points with options. I considered carbon fiber, insulated (lizard skin or other) etc which I'm sure are in your thought processes as well. It's difficult to gauge the interest level and what people might pay based on market survey like you are doing. Make the investment and go for it...once you have some product to "display" pictures / videos etc you'll know a bit more. If you are looking for an investor...pm me.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those that already own X-doors, what would you guys change or would like to see improved or added on?
Provisions for electric windows/window regulators and power locks.

Front window triangular areas that tilt out for ventilation OR cut-outs that open outward for ventilation a la LandCruiser.

Removable tops for half door summer use a la LandCruiser old style.

Simple padded adjustable arm rest.

LIMITED RATTLING.

tacticalmike

instead of asking people what they want, id suggest that you just build a set for yourself. post pics with price and go from there. change or upgrade the next set you build. put them on your hmmwv and see how people like them. specify the materials you used, how well they open and close. how good they seal up to a soft top....etc, etc, etc. sell your product that way. hard to sell a product you don't have. shows buyers how serious you really are. good luck.

Sparo2

Love the idea. I bought a set from SMR in Wilmington and am currently refurbishing them. I thought about doing exactly what you are doing. The market will dictate how well you do and your price points with options. I considered carbon fiber, insulated (lizard skin or other) etc which I'm sure are in your thought processes as well. It's difficult to gauge the interest level and what people might pay based on market survey like you are doing. Make the investment and go for it...once you have some product to "display" pictures / videos etc you'll know a bit more. If you are looking for an investor...pm me.
I thought about carbon fiber to but that would make the door more expensive. But once there's a mold done they can be made out of either material with no problem. So that could be a option.
I agree it's hard to gauge interest on a forum survey. I just figured it would give me some ideas and point me on the right direction.
A investor will be cool. I just don't like the idea of having someone else's money on the line.

Sparo2

Front window triangular areas that tilt out for ventilation OR cut-outs that open outward for ventilation a la LandCruiser.

LIMITED RATTLING.
Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can do.

instead of asking people what they want, id suggest that you just build a set for yourself. post pics with price and go from there. change or upgrade the next set you build. put them on your hmmwv and see how people like them. specify the materials you used, how well they open and close. how good they seal up to a soft top....etc, etc, etc. sell your product that way. hard to sell a product you don't have. shows buyers how serious you really are. good luck.
Ya but I rather gather up all the ideas before the molds are made. It's easier to make changes in the planning stages then on a finished mold.

Action

I want to use as much original hardware as possible. So factory seals, laches, channnels, etc, etc is what I'm aiming for. Of course if there's anything that I find that needs improving I will also look into.
The "original hardware" , as far as the parts that BOLT to the door are available by themselves. The parts I ask about are not. Such as the upper and lower door seal retainers, the two window tracks, and the 4 window seal retainers. These items are all riveted to the doors and not listed separately.
Did you find a source for NEW OEM pieces? Or have copies made, which would just be copies of originals? Or take parts of of junk hard doors, which would be original but not new?

I think once every metal piece is removed from a door, you will have a flimsy piece that should be able to be copied fairly cheap.
I had about 100 of the windows in frames I could have sold you, but there was no need for them years ago. We just shot at them and recycled the aluminum.

Last edited:

ryanruck

LIMITED RATTLING.
This would have me pretty interested...

Vapor Trail

I was looking at AVA X doors and it was more like $9,600.00 to 12,000.00 a set for the doors with inner liners and electric windows so you all must be talking about something I haven't seen yet.

Chucker

Hey everyone,

For a while I’ve been throwing around the idea of making my own doors for the HMMWV but for one reason or another I haven’t had the time. I don’t want soft doors and personally I don’t like the look of the plan B doors. My choice has always been the X-doors but the wife won’t let me spend the $2500 (or more) on a set of doors that just might get trashed while off-roading. So I got to talking to a buddy of mine who specializes in fiberglass and I told him that I wanted to make my own replica X-doors and he said that he might be interested in making molds if there’s enough of a demand for these doors. If the demand isn’t really there than it might not be worth the investment. I told him that I would like to help out the HMMWV community and make a door that’s similar in price (or cheaper if possible) than the used X-doors currently on the market.

How many of you guys would be interested in buying a set of brand new X-doors for around $2500 - $3000. No paint flaking, no delaminating material. Just brand new X-doors and all you have to do is spray on your matching color.
I would be most interested in a set of quality doors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks