• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

break caliper mount question

paramedic7831

Hey guys I got some questions. Is there a reason to the position in which the calipers are mounted to the axle on cars/trucks? Reason I ask I would like to mount the caliper on the top of the axle with the caliper as high as it could possibly be away from harm. In my head I'm thinking about the physics involved and I just don't see any conflict.

It cant be this easy, why do engineers mount them the way they do?

Why wouldn't you want them mounted in a position away obstacles (rocks, curbs, Kia's, etc.) ?

On to another subject. I am bobbing my M35a2. I have been taking lots of pictures and videos as I go. I have also been saving every receipt from the beginning. I will be posting them all along with a narrative. My idea of the narrative is going to include tools that I used with reviews, pictures and prices, Places I bought parts from with prices. Basically I want to price every single thing so a reader could realistically see the money involved. Narrative will also include a step-by-step how I went about doing each task. Anything else you guys could think of would help a reader reading my story?

My last question. Can I post venders that I used with prices I paid for things? I have not been paid my anyone and I work in a hospital that has nothing to do with this.

Thx guys have a great day!

You typically want to mount your calipers so that the bleeder valve is at the highest point in relation to the inside of the cylinder. When you're purging the air from your brakes, the bubbles will rise to the top of the inside of the caliper. You want the bleeder valve positioned so that the bubbles come out before the fluid does. Physically speaking, if you're looking at the left brake rotor, your caliper should ideally be clocked between 1 and 2 o'clock to keep it out of harm's way, but it's imperative that the bleeder valve be at the highest point in relation to the inside of the cylinder. If your bleeder valves are pointing down, take em off and switch sides. What kind of rear suspension are you going for on that bob job? Every method has some good suggestions to make it go a little easier.
Good luck on your build and let's see those pics! :popcorn:

Last edited:
The best power bleeder in the world can only do so much if the bleeder isn't at the top of the chamber. That would depend on the caliper and how it's made. If the bleeder valve is at the top of the cylinder enabling the complete evacuation of the air from the the system at 12 o'clock, I don't see why not. But of course I would be remiss if I weren't to point out nopics.
Let's see what those calipers look like.

KsM715

:ditto: Even with a power bleeder, if there is air in the top of that caliper and the bleeder is down below that air, it will not push it out. It will just trap it there.

Jake0147

The caliper can go anywhere you'd like it to. They are typically high and forward or high and backward, but factory built applications can be found with them mounted in almost any position.
The biggest benefits to the forward/rearward placement are cooling (probably not applicable to you), physical space requirements revolving around the remainder of the suspension linkages, steering in particular (possibly applicable to you), hose routing (very applicable to you, especially in the front), issues related to bleeding, and serviceability of remaining components without requiring brake disassembly are also a consideration.

You will find that if the bleeder stops being the high spot, you will have to bleed the caliper with it removed from it's mount, and held with the bleeder high. Not bad for the initial install, but you're gonna make a headache out of replacing a brake line. Or if the air pac does that mystery leaking down thing they sometimes do where you've got to bleed all the wheels...
You can force air downhill through a line, because it's small and the fluid velicity is high. Inside of a caliper is large, fluid flow will be slow, and it will NOT force air down hill at all, in any way.

Capt.Marion

You think with recovery4x4's power bleeder you could mount at 12 o clock?

If anyone is not aware of recovery4x4's power bleeder check this link out and build one ASAP. You will thank him later

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/3229-deuce-power-bleeder-r4x4-style.html

I think you might be confusing a brake bleeder (such as R4x4's you linked to) with the bleed screw on the caliper (or on the wheel cylinder in the case of drum brakes)... anybody else thinking this?

You use the power brake bleeder to pressurize the brake system and pump more fluid in (or to create a vacuum and suck brake fluid out from the bleed screw). It is not hard-mounted to the vehicle; it is simply a tool you hook up to either the master cylinder or to the wheel cylinders/calipers.
The bleed screw is what you open on the caliper/wheel cylinder to let the pressurized brake fluid and air bubbles out of the brake system when you have the system pressurized with a power bleeder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks