• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Break-In oil for the low hour MEPS

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, got it. I did change with fresh break in oil new Wix filter need to run it at 80% load.
4 hrs a month good?. I work at a municipality that's what we do with our gensets.
Thank you,

csheath

MEP-802A 3.2 qts capacity

MEP-803A 5.9 qts capacity
A little off topic but could someone measure their 803A dipstick and tell me how long from the base to the tip and the full marks? Mine measures high with the prescribed amount of oil in it and I'm wondering if it has the correct dipstick.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for 803a coolant recovery bottle for sale. Would know where to find ths part?

Thank you,

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

1 of my units is a 2007 MEP-802A which had 14 hours on it. I picked that unit up in May 2015. That means it has been sitting around for 8 years with that same oil. Oil itself does start to fade after being introduced to fuel, heat, cold, heat, and use, and non-use. I know engines, and break-in procedures. I have rebuilt many engines, and long ago even worked with a top fuel dragster. That was different. The engine got pulled apart all the time.

Most MEP generator users are going to change oil due to time, than hours used. I have a 1993 Tractor which is finally getting to 7000 hours. That tractor gets used a lot. I know that even if I used a generator 20 hours a month, it would still last longer than I would ever need it.

If the oil change time is say 250 hours.... You might be looking at a long long time before the next change. Then again, if a major catastrophe hits, and you run the unit 24/7, you will be changing the oil for hours used.

The difference is also in the amount of oil used. These are small units. If the unit was large and used 5 gallons of oil at each change... that's another story.

The initial life of any engine and break-in is critical to its long life of service. That also can be some of the issues with units that have 100 hours and are blowing oil like crazy. Could come back to a bad break-in procedure.

Today's precision built engines are being built to better tolerances. Also, the engine technology has done away with some of the wear parts. Roller cams, roller rockers, computer aligned bores, cranks, pistons, rings...

gatorbob

I have a MEP-803A from 2008 (no reset) with 70 hours on the meter. Is it advised to put break in oil back in the unit? I wasn't the person who got it started up after the auction and it's currently got Mobil Delvac 1300 in it right now. I was told it ran about 2 hours with this oil.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would put john Deere break in oil back in for the last 30 to 40 hrs and run it hard under 100 % load. Daybreak knows these units well. See what he suggests.

I received mind with 11 hrs. have JD break in oil now till it hits the 100 to 110 hrs recommend by him.

Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

dav5

Same here. My 2007 803A had 15 original hours. I put in JD break in oil and I am now at 41 hours. It usually averages about 40-50 % during a power outage so I load bank it with a variable 80 to 110% load afterwards to make sure it is getting broken in properly.

gatorbob

Any tips on chain retailers that sell it in the south? I’ve tried the JD dealer list with no luck. I can’t even find the regular JD oil.

Edit: disregard. I found Beard Equipment company that has it. Looks like a mostly Florida based chain. I had to search through the JD website for something other than agricultural.

Last edited:

gatorbob

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Yes, the John Deere Break-In Plus oil is designed for engine break-in time. It is a oil which is packaged with additives for that purpose. Another method would be using straight 30wt non-detergent oil and adding some additives.

The LetterKenny depot uses John Deere Break-In Plus when the engine are overhauled, and a green tag is placed by the dipstick, and a tag is placed on the Emergency stop button for letting you know it has break-in oil and to change out at 100 hours.

Racinc2000

Howdy,

I am a new owner to me-803a family, I purchased it with 2.3 hours with a tier 2 reset. The question I have is I changed the oil to the John Deere break in oil due to it sitting since the reset in 2013 but the oil looks completely different than what was in it and the oil pressure is hovering right at 24-28psi. The oil that came in it appeared to be thicker than what was going in and green. Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

justacitizen

i don't think just because a unit has been through reset means the engine was new or rebuilt. also the hour meter may or may not be correct for actual engine hours because it could have been replaced. and i am unconvinced that the john deere oil we have available to us is the same as the gov spec oil because the TM on the engine says not to use a 10w oil. in my opinion if i thought i had a true low hour machine i would add some zinc to regular 15w 40 and go on from there. i am not OCD about the break in anyway. just an opinion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks