• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

break in

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moderators please post this wherever it fits best please!
I have read over the years about members getting getting trucks and other gear stolen and I always thought WHY would somebody want to steal that? Well I went over to my warehouse this afternoon and saw the main office side window was broken and all the glass smashed out, I called the Sheriff dept. before i went in to look around. The thieves came in via the smashed office window and looked through my desk leaving the drawers open but nothing worth taking there. I walked out into the warehouse area where I keep 7 military trucks ranging in size from an M920 to an M37 and they appeared to be untouched. I then noticed a saddle tank from my Oshkosh that I had removed and set in one of the corners was out towards the middle of the floor, strange? Then I saw the fuel barrel pump was in the on position and the nozzle and hose were laying on the floor. Well the fuel tank was empty and last week there was 270 gallons of diesel in it and my big sliding end doors were latched in the middle but the ends were left unattached. What it looks like is they came in through the broken office window looked around a little bit and went directly to my fuel tank, they had a vehicle with a tank large enough to hold 270 gallons of diesel fuel and they opend the large end doors enough to get the nozzle out, filled what ever they had and took off. I now sit with a smashed office window and an empty fuel tank! Kind of pisses me off a bit!
Karl

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that Karl. At least when they broke into my place the second time a few weeks ago the security features worked and they got nothing.

One of the things that bother me though (other than the first time they disassembled the siding) is that the big sliding doors are a weak point.

I'm still working on a good way to secure the sides without screwing up the function of the door.

jerry v

pooky&rayray strike again ,could it be someone thats been there before? chances they know you?At least your ok!

rustystud

Sorry to hear that Karl. At least when they broke into my place the second time a few weeks ago the security features worked and they got nothing.

One of the things that bother me though (other than the first time they disassembled the siding) is that the big sliding doors are a weak point.

I'm still working on a good way to secure the sides without screwing up the function of the door.
At one of the shops I worked at, they had big sliding doors and the thieves could get in by "pushing" the door ends and squeezing past. To combat this the shop installed steel angle iron (1/2" thick) into the concrete floor so when the door was closed it was wedged between the wall and this angle iron. The thieves never got back in after that. They also installed locks on the other end at the floor and at 5 ft high. I know some doors have a "bolt" that slides down into the concrete but this can be defeated by someone with some long needle nose pliers. Once the bolt is lifted up they can push the door in. With the bracket installed there is no lifting this up !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for your loss.

Pray for those who do you harm. The Bible says that will be like heaping hot coals upon their heads.
Leave it to the Lord. HE's good at setting things right.

And, if it's any consolation..... You were just going to BURN that fuel by running through an engine anyway.

Be blessed, Sir.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now sit with a smashed office window and an empty fuel tank! Kind of pisses me off a bit!
Karl
The feeling of being violated goes deep. Nevertheless - it could have been worse. Think about it. They could have really messed up the place or damaged your vehicles, just for the fun of it. Or set fire to the office or warehouse after they were done. The feeling that would leave you in would be much, much worse still. In the end, this was "only" a break and enter with fuel theft.

May their bal*s shrivel up and fall off.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much for your words of encouragement guys I just got back from boarding up the window they broke to get in and I totally agree it seems like taking a heck of a chance (felony burglary) just to get some diesel fuel, and it was straight #2 fuel on road type! Now I need to come up with a way to make it harder to get in, but the more I think about THAT its still just a steel warehouse, I can secure every entrance and bar the windows but then they will just saw a hole in the side of the building, it would seriously take about 2 minutes with a battery sawsall! It was absolutely done by somebody who has been inside the warehouse before and they were totally prepared to haul a large load of fuel, I just need to put this behind me now and think logically how to better prepare the property!
Thanks you all again!
Karl

dmetalmiki

also dye the fuel. and let it be seen the fuel is contaminated/dyed. Also for peace of mind some nice L O U D sirens patched to sensors.

rustystud

The feeling of being violated goes deep. Nevertheless - it could have been worse. Think about it. They could have really messed up the place or damaged your vehicles, just for the fun of it. Or set fire to the office or warehouse after they were done. The feeling that would leave you in would be much, much worse still. In the end, this was "only" a break and enter with fuel theft.

May their bal*s shrivel up and fall off.
Your so right cattlerepairman ! There was a logging company clearing my neighbors land a few years ago. Like most companies they would leave their equipment there at the property overnight. One night some thieves came and stole some smaller equipment and then for fun set the "skidder" on fire. It burnt so hot it melted the tires and all the aluminum on the engine off. That was a $80,000 unit destroyed for kicks. We talked with the owner and he didn't have the insurance to cover the lose. Very sad. So this theft could have been so much worse !

m109a2

Sorry to hear about that karl,I can put up with a lot in this world but a thief is not one of them.Never underestimate the power of a large dog and danger dog signs.Al

brianrbull

Been Down this road... a couple times... I invested in a couple DVR systems.. 2x16 ch... and a 24 channel.... (I have a large compound ) Caught the Turds in the act packing a tire iron and a 12 Gauge Shot Gun...Luckily no one was home. The Visitors will be well taken care of as guest of the governor for the next decade... For the money (Less than $700) a single 16 channel system provides both peace of mind and the ability to prosecute.. The Ring Leader was an fringe acquaintance with limited knowledge of my Facilities .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks