• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Break tire bead by lowering deuce on tire?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys wondering if I should/can break a tire bead jacking up my deuce, putting the rim and tire under the tire and lowering it?

I got my spare back from a shop with new oring and grommet, the oring is leaking.
They did the first one perfect, but this one is a redo.

Want to try my own hand at taking care of it.

A3 tires and I want to reuse the tire.

jtrojan715

we use to use a high lift jack with the base on the tire and jack up the truck to break the beads on our 4x4 trucks. they were standard rims but should work the same:grd:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After seeing someone do that with a tracked back hoe, I am confident it won't be worth the effort. It took 30 minutes to break the beads. I can't imagine how long it would take jacking/lowering/jacking. I'd either buy the tools or take it somewhere to be removed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the damage possible, I would have it dismounted properly.

Remember, you can't always see internal tire damage

The A3 tire sidewalls are not known for toughness.

Last edited:

robert c neth

Banned
i used the highlift jack many times ,but not since i got a backhoe.you need to be careful either way.i have also dismounted the ram for my plow putting it under the truck and using that to break down tires.

wikallen

have used a hi-lift on my 4x4 trucks in the past. For the deuce, my duck bill tire sledge works just great. If you have a deuce, I suggest you get a tire sledge. Makes quick work of breaking a bead.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Use Dawn dishwashing liquid....somewhat diluted as a lube.

Squirt solution all the way around the bead.....go around once or twice with the duckbill....squirt on more solution......go around with duckbill.....repeat as necessary until bead is broken.

It helps to have all the air out before doing this......remove the valve core and place another tire on top of the one you are dismounting to help press out air.

Once you get the bead broken and the ring off flip the tire over onto a spare rim and repeat the lube/hammer until the bead breaks on the other side.....the weight of the tire hanging while up on the spare rim will help break the back bead.

I wish I had a nickle for every one I broke down while I was in the Army......we had it down to a science.

Occasionally you will get one that just won't be hammered off.....we used a 10K forklift to break them down but usually we were going to turn in the old tire so we were not worried about damage.

Your milage (and frustration) may vary.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3, no ring.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it just came "back from a shop with new oring and grommet", the bead should be relatively easy to push down, short of a proper bead breaker, I'd use a high lift jack myself.

Must be a kindler gentler SS, no one has yet to say SEARCH for the dozens of threads on this very topic.

plym49

I wonder what would happen if you removed a valve stem and connected a vacuum pump - or ran a line to the intake of an idling gas engine.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search, found a bunch about driving over the tire that you would be replacing, but I'm not replacing the tire. Thanks guys.
If you aren't replacing the tire, I personally, wouldn't use a jack/backhoe/ or whatever else. I'd do it right. It's not worth the risk of damaging the tire internally.

tractors0130

If they're A-3 rims with the bead locks in place, pressing down on the sidewalls with a deuce won't really help much even after all the nuts have been taken off. The use of a "duckbill" tire hammer & dishsoap as a lube like Wreckerman said works best to separate the upper rim half first, then flip the wheel over on some wood blocks or a tire stand and break the bead on the backside letting the tire drop down. You'll see the beadlock grove that you need to line back up with the valvestem once you have it apart.

SMOKEWAGON66

Little bit of silicone lube spray in the bead, and a Mattox from the pioneer rack...hard work but it never fails and you dont have to buy anything. And it even works with the bead lockers on supersingle tires...Its how I was taught in the army to do it. But practice on a junk tire 'cuz you can really funk up your tires doing it lol.

dmetalmiki

P.S.

Don't forget the lubes as previously suggested by others..silicone ..aqtf washing up liquid (I use!) sqeezy..good luck and BE SAFE.