• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breaker or fuse protection for starter

redthegreendog

Ok , before I say any thing I did use the search function but did not find any thing to answer my question.

I want to put a Breaker or fuse at the starter or battery to help protect my battery from being destroyed if my starter fries again.

When my starter burned up it took my battery's with it and I don't want to have to replace them if it happens again.

Has any one done any thing like this or have any ideas would help.

197thhhc

I dont think a breaker or fuse would work because of the huge current spike to the starter when it is first engaged from the batteries. You could hook up a quick disconnect in the starter wire line in case the starter shorts out. You can get these at NAPA and other places. They use them in drag racing also. You could also get them at Summit or Jegs. They run less than $50.00

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok , before I say any thing I did use the search function but did not find any thing to answer my question.

I want to put a Breaker or fuse at the starter or battery to help protect my battery from being destroyed if my starter fries again.

When my starter burned up it took my battery's with it and I don't want to have to replace them if it happens again.

Has any one done any thing like this or have any ideas would help.
How did your batteries get "destroyed"? No fuse will help here. Best PM is to make sure all connections are clean and tight and batteries fully charged before hitting the start button.

redthegreendog

the starter burned and melted the plates in the batterys. It did this wile I was driving lost all my electrical. I took the starter to be rebuilt and the guy said all the copper was melted together and they could not rebuild it.

I would like some kind of device that could Isolate the starter in the event that happened again.

Unforgiven

Run a couple of these in parallel for the desired cranking amps:

High Amperage Circuit Breaker

or these for solar panel/battery systems:

CFB-400T 400 amp fuse with holder, Cut Cable Connection

High Amperage Inverter Fuses & Breakers

Or these used for boats:

DC Circuit Breakers - Blue Sea Systems

Type in "high amperage dc circuit breaker" or "high current dc fuse" into Google.

Remember that for 24volts you cut the amperage in half. So a 12 volt, 200 amp breaker will work as a 24 volt 100 amp breaker. Just make sure the breaker is rated for more than 24 volts.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm..the solenoid/relay isolates the starter from the battery. It's only closed when the starter relay is energized via the start button. A rather unusual problem in your case, statistically probably not worth trying to guard against beyond what's already in place...

steelandcanvas

Hmm..the solenoid/relay isolates the starter from the battery. It's only closed when the starter relay is energized via the start button. A rather unusual problem in your case, statistically probably not worth trying to guard against beyond what's already in place...
I'm in total agreement with Bjorn. I think there were some issues here, some maybe have not been discovered. Go through all your high amperage connections and check for cleanliness and good mechanical connection. I wouldn't waste the time or money on protection devices that aren't needed. Save that money for a new starter, and a set of new batteries, and you should be on the road again. I can totally understand you wanting to keep this from happening again.

Unforgiven

250 amps at 24v sounds about right.

A "normal" 12v car/truck will draw about 500 amps +/-. So it makes sense a 24v starter would be about 250. Maybe a little more b/c it is a BIG starter compared to a car. I would put a 300 amp, 24v fuse which would be 600 amps at 12v (two 300 amp, 12 fuses in parallel). But realize those fuses are $40-60 each. It might be cost effective to simply replace a fried battery (but could leave you stranded in the woods).

I agree though, statistically you should not have any problems. Replace the starter & battery cables. You might want to check your flywheel as well. It could be that your starter is not meshing with the flywheel while almost engaged & sucking amps. Find the root cause and you won't have to worry about high amp fuses.

redthegreendog

She is up and running now. But I would like to have some protection.

steelandcanvas, The starter burned b/c the armature welded in place and melted the starter.

I got a re-manufactured starter with a core charge for the old one. for $250 and batterys for $200
the cost of a new starter without shipping.