• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breaking Ice with the Deuce

91W350

One of my co-workers decided to take his life in a different direction after 17 years, so last night we had a going away get together for John. One fine young man and I wish him only the best.

There was another young man that was wandering around outside the fence, it was easy to tell that he felt uncomfortable being there. I made a couple of trips to the deuce for various items and invited him in every time, but it was pretty obvious it was feeling like an outsider.

I offered him a drink, water, Dew, Gatorade, Pepsi or whatever else was in my cooler. He said he might take a bottle of water. So we walked over to the deuce and I started by asking him if he knew what the tail gate steps were used for. After getting him something to drink, I stayed out and talked with him for a while and he was asking about the deuce.

We were walking around it speculating about how it got its many battle scars and he stepped up on the running board to look inside. I told him to just climb on up in there and I stood on the running board. He asked a lot of questions and the light switch really had him puzzled. I grabbed a couple of photos for him and sent them to his mother.

When we finished with the truck, we had a couple of other young men looking around it too, we all went back inside to the party, had a few stories to exchange and ate some really good burgers, dogs and ribs.

When I was getting ready to roll out, he quietly came over and thanked me for bringing the deuce. Nice young man...

I told him when he got a little older, we would go out and drive one, I hope we get the opportunity. Glen

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You never know. You might have just changed that young mans life.

Glen, thank you for taking the time to show him the ropes.

Warthog

srodocker

thats awesome. when i go to the car shows and touch a truck events. there are some kids that just dont look like they want to be there as their siblings are running around yelling and screaming. I usually ask the quiet ones if they want to sit inside and beep the horn and then they of course say yes and i see them run around with the rest of the kids the rest of the day. its awesome to help out a little ones day.

BlizzardX23

I was also expecting this to be a thread of the deuce on iced over roads....lol

That's really awesome! You did a really good thing...it was simple, didn't take much...but made a huge difference! Nice job! :)

btw...you hit your 3,000th post...nice work...lol ;) (I just think its a nice round number)

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yet another fine interaction with today's youth! Kudos Glen, for keeping the the hand of friendship extended. It's always good to show our hobby in a positive light.

ratat98

Good job Glen! I had your old deuce idling in the driveway yesterday. Getting ready to go for a spin when an older lady, who I thought was a total stranger, walked up to the house and started asking me about it. Turns out the lady used to cut my hair when I was little! She's had some really rough times since then and developed chronic depression among a few things, so we stood there and talked about the deuce for a bit and reminisced about how much of a brat I was when I would come in for a hair cut. She left with a big smile on her face and a promise that she will get a ride in the truck. I'm learning that there is so much more to a deuce and a half than just a truck. It makes people happy and like you said, it's a real good ice breaker!

91W350

Good job Glen! I had your old deuce idling in the driveway yesterday. Getting ready to go for a spin when an older lady, who I thought was a total stranger, walked up to the house and started asking me about it. Turns out the lady used to cut my hair when I was little! She's had some really rough times since then and developed chronic depression among a few things, so we stood there and talked about the deuce for a bit and reminisced about how much of a brat I was when I would come in for a hair cut. She left with a big smile on her face and a promise that she will get a ride in the truck. I'm learning that there is so much more to a deuce and a half than just a truck. It makes people happy and like you said, it's a real good ice breaker!
That they are! Are you still interested in a weekend trip to Dodge or Medicine Lodge? I have weekends off for the last three weekends in October. It would be fun to make a cool weather run to St Jacob's Well or the Big Basin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks