• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

breaking starter bolts

jag7720

So, this is the second time I have broken a starter bolt off in the block.

I did some searching on the forum and found that there is a bracket that supports the front of the starter. I don't have this bracket and that is prolly what is causing the bolts to break.

Anyone have a picture of the bracket and know where I can get my hands on one?

Thanks

pc3nmcb

From what I read in past threads you can't get them new. I would think that it would be possible to take a metal strap like we use to use on older exhuast systems and make it fit. You might get one if someone is stripping out cucv.

OLDCHEV4X4

A piece of angle iron about 1"x1"x 3"long 1/8 thick with a slight bend in it would work. One hole in it to mount to the block, and one hole at the other end to slide over the stud that comes out of the end of the starter.
The sizes are aprox.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bracket on the left is for the gear reduction starter and the one on the right is for the OEM starter

jag7720

Well, i called my local GM dealer and he said he could get one $3.20
It will be here Monday.

Thanks for the info and the pics... now I will know if it is correct when I pick it up

FMJ - If it is not the correct part I'd like to take you up on one if you have it. Thanks

Last edited:

2deuce

I need an OEM bracket too. I should get one on there before I break another bolt. I know I'm down the list but if someone has an extra please let me know.
Thanks,
Greg

ralbelt

i've never seen one up close and in person, but the pic in post five looks like you can make it buy cutting a wedge out of a piece of angle iron, bend it to proper angle, weld the seam in place and drill it and install it.

beaubeau

I have converted 2 m1008 to 12 volt. I had installed the starter and by using an piece of angle {AS shown}, I made mine from scratch. Install the starter, With new bolts, drill a 3/8 hole about 1/2 from the end, temp install on block, by SCRAPEING or Rocking the angle against the starter END bolt, it gives you a Mark where you can now drill the next bolt hole to fit starter end. Much easier to order from GM if you have a Dealer near by. You must have the bracket on, or you will break more bolts. Good luck, Phil

charlietango

I was having the starter bolt breaking thing happen too. I had the bracket installed but it still happened. turned out where it was mounting to the chasis was stripped and after a few starts would loosen and snap the outside starter bolt.

I had a 6.2 expert also tell me that a possible reason (before I discovered mine) was a common problem with the 6.2 block mounting block spider cracking. he said to look for spider cracks around the holes where the bolts go. heavy starter over the years stressed the block apparently. only fix for that is to weld up the threads and re-tap them from scratch. sounds expensive but something to look for

CDN-CUCV

another fyi, I modified the non-gear reduction strap and installed it(plus a heli coil-not fun) and haven't had anymore problems and I drive my rig alot daily. Should've done it three bolts ago...:roll::wink:

beanman1

hey guys i dont have my oem starter no more i have a gear reduction starter in my 1009 i still have the oem brace i need the gear reduction brace is someone wants to trade let me know

beanman1

well srry guys went diggin throught the garage today and cant seem to find the oem brakett guess the garage rats needed it more than i did yall how that goes

Sgt Hulka

Hi all. I appreciate everyone's tips and pictures very much. But at the risk of being a real pain, does anyone have pics of these brackets installed with starter? My OEMs starter bracket was missing. I replaced the OEM starter with a gear reduction starter. I ordered the correct part from GM. For the life of me, I cannot imagine how this thing fits up, nor can my mechanic. BTW I have one of the "chinese" gear reduction starters from ebay... Having said all this, the new one is about half the size and weight of the original... Maybe my new starter requires the originals bracket???:?:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks