• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breton industries leaky top

Cetme24

Wondering if anyone else has had issues with Breton industries tops. I received a 4 man camo kit 2 months ago. All seemed well until we just finally got some decent rain. I have a leak pooling in the middle of the top above the rear seats. It’s between the layers of the top. I also have water accumulateing on the c piller. I only got a chance to look at it quickly but I can actually see areas where light is viable around the threads at the seams. Is this typical. I know these things leak a lot around the body and doors but I would assume they should be sealed better at the fabric seams.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would contact Breton to see what they can do for you. I would want a replacement, but I don't know what their warranty period is.

Edis06

This is interesting. I am looking to replace my top because it's doing the same thing in the same places. Mine is old though. I actually repainted it until I get the new one.

I certainly don't want to replace it if the new top is going to do the same thing.

What are people's experience for extending the life of these soft tops? Is there a sealant that would help with this problem while also allowing the top to last longer? This is especially pertinent since Breton is not selling to consumers any more.

Cetme24

What are people's experience for extending the life of these soft tops? Is there a sealant that would help with this problem while also allowing the top to last longer? This is especially pertinent since Breton is not selling to consumers any more.
That’s new must have just changed.

papakb

Go over to Walmarts camping section and buy yourself a bottle of tent seam sealer. Chances are your leak is in the stitching for the seam.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Always a way to work around the commercial / tax thing.

Don't have a soft top... so my two cents would be to keep the water, snow, etc off the top.

Maybe "pitch a tent" to get the center higher. Didn't papakb have a fix like that?

Bear to the left, under the stars, CAMO

DREDnot

I second the tent seam sealer fix

I have had good luck with keeping nice tops nice and improving weathered tops by using PB Blaster SILICONE spray. It is not a liquid the evaporates fast like regular silicone spray...its somewhat foamy and clings till it soaks in.

Seems to rejuvenate the rubber coating and make it more pliable and new looking.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would seem you need the plywood fix mentioned by many posters here on SteelSoldiers. Look it up and I believe it will solve all your ills.

Either plastic board or thin plywood that is rot resistant with a few holes drilled for drainage is placed b/t the ribs and the canvas to prevent the canvass from developing water pockets. Apparently this was also done by our boys in combat.

I don't know the specifics so you should do a search. I have a hard-top with a turret, so it leaks like a sieve.

Best,

T

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Breton, installed this year, has seam sealant obviously visible on it. Perhaps they forgot or it isn't thick enough. I second the recommendation to re-coat the seams. Some center support won't hurt either. I'm thinking about it as much for noise as drainage. My new Breton top is a bit loose and floppy.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks