• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge truck (M812) wheels on 923

tobyS

Of course the bridge truck, having dual 14.00's is 10' wide, but can the wheels off an 812 be put on another 800 or 900 series five ton in their dual configuration? Is the inside wheel less of a dish and the outside a very large offset or is there more space from the hub face to the springs or suspension members of a bridge truck?

Or in other words, can I dual up 14.00's (bias NDCC bridge truck tires) on a 923 or does the inner tire hit the suspension if I use the bridge truck rims? Sorry, but no prior posts seemed to explain how the extra width is achieved...like maybe wider axles and more clearance. I'm not worried about roadworthy width, just if bridge truck wheels fit.

tobyS

Are the inner and outer wheels the same offset...the same wheel? I have some deuce wheels that have different offsets so thought the inner might be less offset than outer.

Hope someone has a picture or two.

I have 7 old new NDCC 14.00 and was going to single an 817 but now wondering about flotation for a swampy logging forwarder using them as duals.

KsM715

Should be same wheels inner and outer. (That way the spare with fit anywhere). I would like to see the two different deuce wheels you have that have different offsets

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the hubs and spindles on the rear ends are different. I know the rear axle shafts in the bridge truck are longer. As the hubs stick out making the rear end wider requiring the longer axles. The bridge truck rims are the same inter & outer.

Last edited:

tobyS

I believe the hubs and spindles on the rear ends are different. I know the rear axle shafts are longer. As the hubs stick out making the rear end wider requiring the longer axles.
Yea, that was what I was wondering about, av8or.

But that does not mean that they would not go on the narrower axles, especially if Jeff is right and there is a spacer combination that would work. We don't need the width of an original bridge truck. A moving permit could be a pain, but possible too.

Perhaps there are bridge trucks setting around?

tobyS

Should be same wheels inner and outer. (That way the spare with fit anywhere). I would like to see the two different deuce wheels you have that have different offsets
I'll see if I can get a couple of photo's. My 73 f600 4x4 boomtruck needed tires and has 6 of the 9.00/20 budd wheels and tires with NDCC tires. I sold a truck and traded for (6) 10.00/20 in reasonable and not weather checked condition, thinking I would use them on the boom truck. Then I bought an M105 and had nubs on new 9.00's with the same offset, same style as OEM. So now BT gets 9.00's. I bought two m105's and have taken the 9.00's off, replacing them with the 10.00. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the 105 with 10.00 and the nearly flat offset (front) as opposed to about 2.5" that is used on the rear Budd.

I tried putting the offset that was flush with the 2.5" offset and they were too close, so the flush side is front (wider but would take the 2.5" offset). Man, does that make sense?

For guys who like photo's, that's my boom truck that my wife got instead of a real honey moon 25 years ago, the second is 2 of 7 14.00's, third and fourth is my 817 and last is a truck I sold.

Attachments

tobyS

Deuce wheels of different offset are usually M34/M135 wheels vs M35/M211 wheels.
I don't know what they are from but there is a military stamp on them and they fit the 2 1/2 ton boomtruck and M105. They have a farm tire on them, not normal for military that I have seen. I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are two different bridge truck rear set ups one has wider axles, the other uses spacers, the front on both set ups uses the same spacers, the spacers also require different wheel studs, without spacers the side wall WILL rub front and rear. My oem 1200x20s will rub a tad on turn in the rear. I have some 1200s of 1400 rims, I have to make sure they are on the outside

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, that was what I was wondering about, av8or.

But that does not mean that they would not go on the narrower axles, especially if Jeff is right and there is a spacer combination that would work. We don't need the width of an original bridge truck. A moving permit could be a pain, but possible too.

Perhaps there are bridge trucks setting around?
It will take a thick spacer to clear the springs and at that point you will be close to the 10 ft width. Bridge truck wheels are hard to find around here, have a friend looking for some.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With 1400x20s on bridge truck rims, you will be 9'6" wide across the rear.

tobyS

The wheels on the M105 are off the GMC 6x6 that were singled out in the rear (actual 6x6)
GMC ?? I traded for the 10.00 tires and wheels but did not know exactly what they came off of. It could be a GMC. They will fit the Rockwell axles on the Ford 600 boomtruck. And do have a military stamping. You can see, 10.00's are a tight fit on a 105... but have a bit higher speed rating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks