• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing a 123 back to life

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to the MV museum today...finally got some free time! Craig decided to resurect the M123 first. Had to drag it out of the hole it was in. It had settled down into the dirt about 4 inches all the way around. Had to use a 4wd fork lift to get it out. They do NOT like to steer w/o the engine running! Got it back around back to the shop area, checked fluids, changed the upper radiator hose, checked the air filter for varmints...there were remains of some sort of fairly large fowl in the cab! Gave it some fresh Penray coolant, batteries, pumped the primer a few times and hit the button! At first, just click, click :cry: Cycled the power switch, hit it again...WOO HOOO, Smoke! Good o/p, no miss, smelled a little of oil, but that soon changed to the sweet smell of Cummins naturally asperated smoke. Ran it a bit, gave it a little bath and took it for a short cruise up the driveway. It steers ALOT better with power behind it! Craig let me drive it out of the shop area over to the M578 we tried to get up and running..needs batteries...next time 8) I have a few vids of it..gotta put them on you tube, then i'll get a link posted.

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it sat for 5 - 6 years, maybe a bit more. It is original and it is a Marine Corps truck. I got a chance to look this thing over, it is full of things that are different. If you think a deuce with a springer seat has no room, try getting in this. There is the normal turn signal lever on the steering column along with a trailer hand valve and a brake controller that allows the driver to apply the brakes to only the left or right side rears if he encountered whel slip. 4 shifters poking up thru the floor, trans shifter, PTO, front axle in/out and the t-case hi/low. No storage in the cab, the underside of the passenger seat is full of batteries, along with the "normal" battery box inside the right step. The steering column goes thru two boxes, one as it exits the cab so it can be redirected back under the cab to the main box that steers the axle. The front axle is a hypoid type dif and the knuckles are drop down types like on a Unimog. The rears are toploaders like the deuce...but alot bigger. No shocks. It has some type of hydraulic damper in place of shock absorbers. It is truly an amazing truck. I'll get busy and put the vids up on you tube and link them here.

wideload

M578

Being probably the only private owner of an M578 in the UK I would be really interested to see a couple of pictures of the M578. Did you manage to get it running yet ? You need any parts let me know quickly as I have access to two which are going to be cut up in the next 2 weeks, spent all weekend taking tracks off and lots of fixtures and fittings, going back next week for an engine and transmission.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M578

It made smoke, but never lit off. That fan sure draws some amps! The batteries were dead, dead. I think the museum is gonna get some new ones, but the ones in it were almost dry. They could be brought back with a fast charge then back off to a trickle...maybe, I'll see what Craig wants to do.

jeli

Hearing you rev that up a bit brings back memories!!!!! Mine had a single exhaust. Duals out the side will ward off all traffic. Once you get it ready to roll you need someone to follow along side about 35-40 mph to show what it looks and sounds like underway.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't think it will see the road. We kind of messed around and thought about taking it into the field next door, but I don't want to draw any negative publicity to the museum. If LA counties finest came by, they might not think it was such a good idea. It was a blast to drive around the bit that I did. It moved the M578 like nothing and it weighs around 54k. I feel privelaged that I was allowed to do what I did on that beast. Maybe I can swing a few days off and see if he wants to give it some touch up paint and such.

dc3coyote

Come on more vids, I REALLY want to see one out playing,
What does this compare to in the civi side? Is there a match
Is this one just naturally aspriated, or am I missing the supercharger

Capt.Marion

Dang, nice looking and sounding truck! Y'all did a fine job of resurrection. You could make some $$ in the church business!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks