• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing my M35A2C home tomorrow

Smokinyoda

The time has finally come... after wanting one of these Air Forces deuces for so long I finally got the chance to make the 600 mile trip to bring mine home. I won it at Ft Jackson and it was picked up by jwaller, who inspected it and replaced the missing gauges.

We are leaving here around 5am on the morning of 12/29, and hope to be at jwallers place in Lexington SC around 3pm his time. If she drives ok will try and make it the 270 miles to Knoxville TN before stopping for the night. Then the next morning drive the remaining 350 miles home to Ripley TN.

Not expecting any problems but will update this thread if anything happens. Here's a GL pic of my truck, will post more after I get back.

Wish me luck!:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

After over 1200 miles in just under 38 hours, we finally made it home safely!fat lady sings

Want to give thanks to jwaller, he was a big help and without him I never would have attempted this recovery!:beer:

The truck ran great! was a very uneventful trip, but I think those are the best kind. We left jwallers place around 4:30pm and drove almost 250 miles before stopping for the night.

Here are some pics of us coming into Chattanooga, and my use of the hand throttle to strech out a leg cramp. Would never try it in traffic, but on a straight stretch of highway it made a great short term cruise control.

Attachments

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

The truck used no oil on the entire 600 mile trip, so looks like its going to be a keeper. Was a minor fuel leak I need to track down. Noticed a few drips from the ip area whenever I stopped for fuel. And there is minor leakage where the slobber tube comes out of the valve cover, but other than that she seems to be in great shape. And according to warranty tag she is a 1988 model, miles/hours unknown due to gauge removal. Also the low air buzzer does not work, will check that out in next few days.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Is the 88K # stenciled on the inside of the driver's door? I don't know what they accomplish by removing the data plate. They even painted black over my stenciled tire pressure markings. :???:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read this thread. The first few posts and the last few posts show the location. Drivers side frame, front "wheel well" inbetween the tear drop tiedown and the steering reinforcement plate. Let us know what you find. It will start with 1040-XXXXX

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/79684-elusive-serial-vin-number-late-model-m35a2c.html

Somewhere (sometimes several places, or maybe not at all) should be a spray painted #. Yours will start with 88K-XXX Could be on the doors, the rear bumperettes, the front bumper, perhaps inside the cab. Yours I bet was on the metal licesnce plate that they removed for you on the rear mudflap, so they didnt paint it on.... But thats OK, as that is not the serial #. The 1040-XXXXX number is, and thats stamped on the frame.

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

Thanks for the info, will check after work tomorrow. It is not stenciled on the door, so hopefully will find it on the frame. Was wondering how I was going to title it with no serial number.

jwaller

glad to hear you made it home. thats a great truck you have there and I wish you the best with it. one day I'll find one like it for myself.

Smokinyoda

Still no luck finding the 88k number, but thanks to your info I was able to find out the serial number is: 1040-11342.

Now I can request the SF97! :jumpin:

Read this thread. The first few posts and the last few posts show the location. Drivers side frame, front "wheel well" inbetween the tear drop tiedown and the steering reinforcement plate. Let us know what you find. It will start with 1040-XXXXX

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/79684-elusive-serial-vin-number-late-model-m35a2c.html

Somewhere (sometimes several places, or maybe not at all) should be a spray painted #. Yours will start with 88K-XXX Could be on the doors, the rear bumperettes, the front bumper, perhaps inside the cab. Yours I bet was on the metal licesnce plate that they removed for you on the rear mudflap, so they didnt paint it on.... But thats OK, as that is not the serial #. The 1040-XXXXX number is, and thats stamped on the frame.

Attachments