• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing the Deuce back to 100%

shannondeese

After picking my Deuce back up a week ago. I had a list of things that needed to get fixed. Coming home from work on Tuesday I got to add to that list. I got stuck in a bunch of traffic. Nothing like stop and go for 50 miles. Anyway by the time I got home the drivers front wheel was so hot you couldn't touch it. The other three were cool. And it was a bear to stop. So today I took the rear hubs off and found that the rear axle seals were shot. Brake fluid everywhere. I soaked the shoes in Isopropyl Alcohol. Cleaned and repacked the bearings. Put in new axle seals. Reinstalled everything and adjusted the brakes. Then moved to the front and adjusted the brakes there too. It stops so much better now. Just a few more things to do and she'll be back to 100%.

shannondeese

The labor took about 2 hours. The parts I ordered from Boyce about a year ago. Just figured I'd rather have them on hand if I needed them. You'll have to call around for the prices. Sorry I can't remember.

shannondeese

This evening I got around to a couple of the small things on the list. The drivers door hinges had a few busted screws and a couple loose ones. They are all new now and all of a sudden the door doesn't sag and it closes a lot easier. And I got around to fixing the passenger window. It used to only go down half way then jam. I took it all apart found the clip that fell off the forward track. Put it all back together and it works now too. Small steps maybe but they all add up to a better operating Deuce. Especially since I am commuting in it to and from work round trip 100 miles a day.

shannondeese

So here are the pictures. Today I fixed the head lights. Before I had no brights. I put in some free used truck light LED lights. The drivers side doesn't work quite right but it's better than I had. The upper portion works when it's on low beam. But when switched to high beam it turns off. Oh Well. Just one more thing to fix. I also fixed my pyrometer. It had a wire chafing inside the insulation. Simple fix. I will replace the master switch this weekend with the new one.

Attachments

shannondeese

Here's todays projects. One I haven't finished yet but I'll get it installed tomorrow. I put on new ANCO wipers and built a box for my altimeter. I picked up a NOS mil-spec helo altimeter awhile back. I am finally getting around to mounting it. I made the box out of 2024 .032 T3 aluminum. With way more rivets in it than I needed but what the heck. I like playing with metal. I am going to mount it to the cab top with two aircraft dash lights. I am going to put the lights on a door switch. I really don't need the altimeter lighted up at night. But interior lights will be nice. They'll be green to match the ones for my dash.

Attachments

shadowrwolf

I don't know why the picture is sideways. If anyone know how to stand it back up let me know.
just open it with the normal windows picture vuer and theres a rotate button should save when you close window or there is a option to save in the drop down menu

shannondeese

I've had it as high as 5000 ft and as low as sea level. At the top of the Cajon pass on the I15 and the top of the grape vine on I5 it runs just as well as it does at sea level.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had it as high as 5000 ft and as low as sea level. At the top of the Cajon pass on the I15 and the top of the grape vine on I5 it runs just as well as it does at sea level.
I would think a Garmin is the city boy's altimeter. Was yours self contained in the box you made..? :drool:

shannondeese

I left four air holes in the back of the box for air flow. The altimeter has a small air filter on the back so I don't have to worry about dust clogging the diaphragm. The entire thing is sitting in the box. It's 4 1/4 wide by 8 1/2 long. Not a bad fit and I riveted it to the frame support for the top.

shannondeese

Today I got back to work on the Deuce for a much needed fix. Awhile back I put in a seat from a Ford Aerostar. It's great other than it was blue. Friday at work the flight equipment shop helped me make some new seat covers. The bottom seat is completely recovered and it's sewn together so it won't slip around like a normal seat cover. The upper is pulled over and sewn together at the bottom. IT turned out pretty good for a guy that has never done this and learned how to sew on the fly friday.

Attachments

shannondeese

Today I mounted a set of work lights on the bumper. Tomorrow I am going to mount 4 along the edge of the bed for work lights. I figure as much as I use this truck as a recovery vehicle a bunch of lights individually controlled will be an asset for those middle of the night phone calls "Can you come help me" or my favorite conversations that almost always begin with " What Happened Was" and usually end with sure I'll be there as soon as I can figure out where you are.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks