• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

British Vehicle mechanic

smashcrashy

Looking for a mechanic (ex-REME preferred) for some possible work on some equipment (Saracen, Ferret, Fox, type stuff) and the checking out of new purchases.

Preferrably in the North Los Angeles or Ventura area.

L999here

Strangely,no one has welcomed you to our addiction...eerrr HOBBY. WELCOME...!!! I have a Ferret (1956) and an FV432 "Bulldog" APC (1965). There is a lack of people who are licensed mechanics for these type of vehicles. Therefore,you've got to either do the work yourself and learn how to maintain them...OR...pay a ton of money to find and pay someone else to do so. I prefer the former and had to learn myself. Unless you are independently wealthy,you might have to do so also. Good luck....

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
L999here , Why would someone need to be licensed to work on a ferret ? I can understand being familiar with stuff---but does someone have to have a phd to wrench on the motor and stuff? just curious.

Stalwart

As an owner of lots of Limey stuff there are certain things on their equipment that doesn't lend to the backyard mechanic. Reading their manuals is essential in a great many cases, even for a "tune-up".

Last edited:

B3.3T

A an owner of lots of Limey stuff there are certain things on their equipment that doesn't lend to the backyard mechanic. Reading their manuals is essential in a great many cases, even for a "tune-up".
Indeed, this is true. But it is all within the realm. After 16 British armor vehicles, I learned the manuals are quite good and with a few good contacts on line, most everything can be tackled. Just be aware of- look up previous postings- the nightmare of the Saracen/Saladin/Stalwart mechanicals. Buyer beware on those.

smashcrashy

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading manuals before acquisition, what Im more hoping is to find a backup plan in case I run into something above my skillset and also for checking out purchases beforehand.

I would think there has to be several mechanics in the LA area that do this as there are several movie rental places with british pieces and I wouldnt think it is all just the owners doing maintenance.

But thanks all for the feedback, hope to be joining your ranks on the road soon.

m880 unimog

hello, smashy-welcome here,
i have around 20 years of on -off spanner time on british milveh,s , including clanky,s up to MBT,s.
i will be in oakland california , end of july early august to collect a container of race bikes for SPEEDWEEK.we,ll be local for a few days.
let me know if you would like to meet up-i am also based in the un-united kingdom , about an hour waway from www.mod-sales.com and attend some of the auctions there.

good luck with your new sickness...:D

p.j.

L999here

...well said,guy's..

Yep...a phd in wrenching is not necessary. However,as mentioned...read and learn. I've busted knuckles on Jag's,Ferrets,FV432's,and never had to get a Brit mechanic. Some people have a lot more cash than this retired vet on SS....if you can pay others to help you....good for you...!!!

Stalwart

My point is that the "typical" backyard mechanic thinks his skill set is better than it is. If you follow the manuals, which are quite good, almost anyone can work on them, with a strong back in some cases. As I mentioned in another thread, I came across a very experienced, but still backyard mechanic, that thought he could work without manuals and proper proceedures. He thought he could set B80/B81 points by ear . . . might run, but NEVER properly. These old pigs are underpowered as it is, unless you are working on the CVR series vehicles. That was for a simple tuneup, never mind a hub synchronization or tracta joint repair in a 600 series vehicle. 2cents

wideload

Yep...a phd in wrenching is not necessary. However,as mentioned...read and learn. I've busted knuckles on Jag's,Ferrets,FV432's,and never had to get a Brit mechanic. Some people have a lot more cash than this retired vet on SS....if you can pay others to help you....good for you...!!!
Just looking at your vehicle list, you say your FV432 is a "Buldog" are you aware that the Buldog is a late variant with Cummins power and a totaly new steering unit ? Standard 430 series 2 variants all having RR K60 / Allison packs. As far as I am aware only one "Buldog" has ever been released from the British Army as yet in running order, one other did come out but it was very badly damaged on the hull (ex Iraq IED).

B3.3T

Just looking at your vehicle list, you say your FV432 is a "Buldog" are you aware that the Buldog is a late variant with Cummins power and a totaly new steering unit ? Standard 430 series 2 variants all having RR K60 / Allison packs. As far as I am aware only one "Buldog" has ever been released from the British Army as yet in running order, one other did come out but it was very badly damaged on the hull (ex Iraq IED).
Yes, the FV432 was originally and officially called the "Trojan". But who wants armor named for a condom, hence 432 became standard. I was asked many times why the "432" is the only Brit armor that uses a number...and that's the reason.

L999here

....maybe 'hear-say'....?

From what I have read,first models were called "Trojan" but were later changed to Bulldog. Mine is an early model....with the RR 8 cyl. engine/gas. However,I was advised that the Bulldog name would be appropriate for even the early models. Wish mine was a diesel....!!!

datadawg

Looking for a mechanic (ex-REME preferred) for some possible work on some equipment (Saracen, Ferret, Fox, type stuff) and the checking out of new purchases.

Preferrably in the North Los Angeles or Ventura area.
Well, the premise for this thread was quite intriguing. I hoped to see more hands raised, but obviously finding an ex REME mechanic here in USA is going to be a challenge. I asked a guy in UK what I will do if my Saracen that he's restoring breaks down in the future. He said, "no problem, ring me, I'll get on a plane and fix it". He wasn't even joking!

jdmcm

I am glad my 432 is a gasser, I have had both and will never go Diesel again on the 432, the gasser runs circles around the diesel, and when the governor got low on oil and that sucker ran away until it grenaded...scariest thing ever. Dirty, smoky, smelly mess those burbling diesels...but be prepared to keep your fuel clean and learn how to change a spark plug...and the sound of a straight eight Rolls! Priceless...just my opinions.

Stalwart

And when you wear out that B81, you call me, I have a rebuilt one outfitted for the 432 . . . also the supposedly the last one for a Stalwart as well.

jdmcm

Hey Stalwart! You are right down the road from me! You have any Scorpion parts cluttering up your life you feel the need to unburden yourself of?

John

jdmcm

One more thought on the British Mechanic needed arena, have you tried David Wang at Army Trucks Inc. in Santa Clarita? He has had lots of British vehicles in his stable over the years, 432's, Abbots, etc. He probably has a mechanic who could help you out and he isn't that far from you.

Stalwart

No spare Scorpion parts that I need to make go away. I have spare engine, transmission and one new set of tracks but I'll probably need some or all of those.