• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke bolt on coolant passages on top of engine... help

Jake0147

Can you get a second pair of hands???

If the bolt has "wiggle room" there it threads in, but is stuck in the loose water manifold... Lift up the manifold and hold it that way. Have soldier B use a punch and small hammer to GENTLY and repeatedly tap down on the bolt. That'll usually get things moving quite well by using that movement in the threads to your advantage. Just don't get carried away with the hammer... Once it's up a bit it will probably loosen quite quickly.
You're quite right about where it's "frozen", the bolt broke off at the thick part. if the threads were stuck in the threaded hole, it would have broken off much much lower.
A little damage to the inside of the bolt hole i the manifold is not going to make anything come loose. Leaks I can't speak on without seeing the damage, and it really doesn't take much metal to seal a hole. Provided you used a drill smaller than the bolt, you could have drilled straight through at 45 degrees, clean out the side, and provided you did not hit water it would not impede the function or the locking mechanism which holds a properly fastened bolt. More room for never sieze IMO.
How did making a gasket not go well? Slow and gentle. Make one bolt hole first. Hold the ball end of your hammer in place, and tap it with another hammer. Use a bolt (and washer if possible) to secure the gasket material to said hole. Then make the other bolt hole the same way, and fasten it the same way. Use a razor knife to "break up" the "inside" hole so that it does not tear across as you slowly and patiently tap your way around it. Slow and gentle. You must have some gasket material left, this is a valuable skill if you're working on any older stuff, even if you do end up with new replacements for this job. A couple of practice rounds will probably net you a very nice set of gaskets.

Well, I FINALLY got it off today.

After much torching, soaking in PB blaster, tapping, hammering, shaking, etc, it STILL wasn't coming off.

I ended up taking a pry bar and putting it under part of the manifold and had to pry up on it, and did the bolt come out of the manifold? NO. Instead it decided to still stay inside the manifold and break off at the block. So now there is a part on top of the block sticking out that I can get to... hopefully I can get it out but I may need to drill it out and put in a helicoil or something. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I took the manifold to the local NAPA and they are gonna send it off to a machine shop to have the bottom all leveled off since the bolt hole where the bolt was stuck got bent a little, and I'm also gonna have them bore out that bolt hole and put a bushing in and then I'll be ready to reinstall it.

I got all new grade 8 bolts from Lowes today, and got some antisieze from NAPA as well.

Man this has been a huge pain... but it'll be nice when its all done.

Here are a few pictures of whats left:

Last edited:
Good news - manifold will be back on Monday from the machine shop, they said it all went great, got the bushing installed and got the bottom all smoothed out.

Yesterday I tried and tried to get the remainder of the bolt out of the engine block, finally resorted to dragging the welder and generator out to where the Deuce was parked and welded a nut to the stud. The first time, it broke off... the second time, I cleaned everything up the best I could and tried again. This time it worked and out it came.

Now its just a matter of getting it all back together.