• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke Down in Billings Montana - Need to find a shop that can replace wheel cylinders

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All, its been a while since I've made a post. Just been Really Busy, and we are currently in the middle of moving. A few days ago we left from a friends place in Kansas, and took the 'eastern' route on hwy 385/85 toward North Dakota, which we then took Interstate 94 to Billings Montana, which is where we stopped and are currently.

We did a Lot of Maintenance to this 67' M35A2 Deuce before we moved from Indiana, and thought we had covered about every aspect we could. But along the way, during this part of the trip from Kansas, we have developed a bad oil leak, which we can't seem to locate where its coming from as oil has blew all over the engine, underneath the truck, and even on the trailer we're towing. But it seems to be coming from somewhere toward the front of the engine, but it could even just be the oil pan gasket and blowing everywhere...? Just not sure.

In any case, We have kept a close check on it, and topped it back up every-time we stopped, but at times we have been from 2-4 quarts low over the course of 150-250 miles of driving between stops. We started dumping lucus oil stabilizer (which is as thick as molasses) instead of Rotella-T and it seemed to help some and the truck ran a little better (slightly more power up hill and slightly improved oil pressure), but we still can't seem to find where the leak is coming from when the truck is parked, idling the engine. I guess it needs cleaned down completely, and then it may be possible to locate. But even if we did locate it, we don't have a way to fix it on the road.

Question: We are hauling about 9500lbs in the bed, and pulling a 7,000lb trailer. Could the engine be getting so hot that it is thinning the oil down to the point that it can get by the seals/gasket? The temp on flatter ground stays around 160-180. If going up a long hill, then it has gotten up to 200, and once it hit 210 after which we pulled over and let it idle and cool down.

The second leak we have developed, is apparently two wheel cylinders have decided to develop a slow leak, which is a much bigger problem than the oil leak. At first we only noticed that the level had dropped in the brake fluid remote reservoir which we added some months ago (Very Glad we did that Upgrade), we topped it back up and everything seemed ok. But later we got here in Billings, we found fluid on the front drivers side wheel, and then on the center drivers side wheel.

So at this point, its to dangerous to continue the trip until these are replaced. We do have six brand new deuce wheel cylinders with us which we had ordered a few months ago, intending to replace the ones on the truck just as precaution (as at that time we had no problems with them at all and the shoes looked good) but we never were able to get the time to replace them before we had to move.

So we need to find a shop that can replace these for us, as we have no way to it here in a parking lot. And since two have started leaking, we want to go ahead and replace all 6, just to make sure that we don't have this problem again a few miles down the road.

So the real question is: Does Anyone know of a shop here in Billings Montana who can replace the wheel cylinders, and maybe find out where the oil leak is, which is open on a saturday?????? We can still drive the truck to a shop, as the brakes operate fine, but we will also be very careful of course.
I have been able to find a couple truck shops close by, but so far I haven't found one who is either open or who answers the phone...
But I am still looking.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:

zout

These guys are 4wd fanatics and possibly can help:
Diesel Extreme - 888-340-3358
or
Owens Truck & Trailer 406-256-1155 (we have used this Co. before.

Flyingvan911

Do you have the manifold heater? Is so you could be pumping diesel into your oil but that sure is a lot of oil to be loosing, even for being thinned with diesel. If you have the manifold heater I'd cap off he fuel lines that run to the nozzle as a precaution. At least until you reach your destination.

zout

FWIW - I tried calling here from work about 7 shops out there in Billings for you - all were closed.

If you get into serious trouble call FLeetnet America 1-800-972-8872 they might be able to help you locate service.
dave

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the manifold heater? Is so you could be pumping diesel into your oil but that sure is a lot of oil to be loosing, even for being thinned with diesel. If you have the manifold heater I'd cap off he fuel lines that run to the nozzle as a precaution. At least until you reach your destination.
Thanks for the reply Flyingvan911 and that's a Good thought. But we had already disconnected the manifold heater fuel lines and wires back a few months ago (as we couldn't get it to work properly) and installed an ether system to replace it.

Also the oil, on the dip stick or whats leaked out, doesn't look or smell like its been mixed with diesel either.
Thanks!

Artisan

I think you are about 152 miles East of Belgrade, MT. That is where the Montana MV Club is. There website is http://www.mmvc.org/index.htm On that page are MANY tele numbers for members. I bet ya they can help. Here is their info;

[SIZE=+1]Contact information:[/SIZE]​

President: Steve Mayville

406-388-4439​

Vice President: Mike Atwood

406-582-7502​

NewsLetter Editors: Rich Morris

406-586-2255
Rich Galli

406-586-7747​

Secretary/Treasurer: Hank Adams

406-388-2477
Assistant Treasurer: Craig Miller

406-388-3428​

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW - I tried calling here from work about 7 shops out there in Billings for you - all were closed.

If you get into serious trouble call FLeetnet America 1-800-972-8872 they might be able to help you locate service.
dave
Thanks Dave, Very Much Appreciate the help! We're running into the same thing on our end, we've called every shop we have found so far, and all of them also seem to be closed too. Looks like we may have to just sit tight until monday.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are about 152 miles East of Belgrade, MT. That is where the Montana MV Club is. There website is http://www.mmvc.org/index.htm On that page are MANY tele numbers for members. I bet ya they can help. Here is their info;
[SIZE=+1]Contact information:[/SIZE]​
President: Steve Mayville

406-388-4439​
Vice President: Mike Atwood

406-582-7502​
NewsLetter Editors: Rich Morris

406-586-2255
Rich Galli

406-586-7747​
Secretary/Treasurer: Hank Adams

406-388-2477
Assistant Treasurer: Craig Miller

406-388-3428​
Thanks Artisan for the info! We'll contact them and see where that takes us.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Additionally on the West side of Idaho is Alex of http://www.idahomotorpool.com/ he may have info for you too.
Ok, Thanks Again Artisan! We were able to get a hold of Steve, he's given us a couple ideas, one being a regular tire shop, so we may be able to figure something out here.

Still working on it though, will update as things progress.

jwaller

Just do it yourself. You don't have to tear it all the way down just pull the drum and swap the cylinders that are leaking. No need to remove the hubs and have to deal wi wheels bearings. Surely you brought tools to change the tires? If so then you have almost everything you need.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate all the help Everyone, it was a good try especially on a saturday. But it looks like everything is closed until monday.
We may try to see if we have enough tools to do this ourselves in the walmart parking lot, as we are going to have to leave the hotel in an hour.
The biggest thing is if we can get the lug nuts loose. We have an 3/4 impact, but not sure if the deuce air can run it with enough power to break the lug nuts loose.

not looking forward to trying to do something like this in a parking lot, but it looks like we don't have much of a choice if we are going to get it fixed before monday or tuesday.

Will post, when able, as to the outcome.

Thanks All

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just do it yourself. You don't have to tear it all the way down just pull the drum and swap the cylinders that are leaking. No need to remove the hubs and have to deal wi wheels bearings. Surely you brought tools to change the tires? If so then you have almost everything you need.
Thanks jwaller! Yeah, thats what we're thinking. Hopefully we can get the lug nuts loose, either with 3/4 impact or with breaker bar. If so then yes we can fix it, as I just posted before I saw your post.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm only a little familiar with Billings.... But have experience with your problem. Of course its Saturday (at least its not the Holidays), and probably your not going to get somebody too interested till Monday. So at least your not on the side of the road in a blizzard. I would take a deep breathe and: find a place to camp/or Motel. Then drop the trailer, and find a car wash, and clean up the leaked oil. That will be a 1st - a shop will want to do it too, or should do it. There are heavy truck shops around there. They will be good on the oil leak, but maybe the lighter 4x4 Guys will be better all around on a Deuce, because of the brakes. Anyway, you will get some help through SS on the leak, and all around too.

So it boils down to a Grand Adventure, your on. It might take a little while/a few days to get things fixed, but you can do it. Just take things "systematically", and you might be able to do more of your stuff there too, then you think. So find a good Camp, and wash that engine down, and like you already said, fix the problems, before you leave there. You don't have anything that isn't "doable".

Good Luck and keep us posted.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you know this trick: Get a piece of cardboard & grease or oil it up, put it under the duals/with hub, and use it to slide the whole thing away from the axle end, to get to your wheel cylinders. Use the jack, to adjust highth, just right. It works slick.

RAYZER

Concerning the oil leak, if your running some wmo, a fuel leak can appear to be a oil leak.
If not, check the front of the front head head gasket, I've seen them blow out there and spew oil like crazy, this could potentially starve the valve train of lubricant. Good luck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A manifold heater can not pump fuel into the base while the engine is running. It's impossible.

Is your FDC bypassed?

Diluted oil would be my suspicion.

Front crank seals leak and make a mess, as well as rear main seals.

Whatever you do, be sure to provide any shop that does work on it, with the proper brake fluid.

smoke

I would check the tach drive on the front of the engine. Oil can leak from there. I looked at the members map. Look like ridgerunner,elkhunter, mtmudrunner are the closest to you on the map. good luck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks