• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke down on side of road......fuel issue

airmech3839

Ok...recoverd her and got her home....:-D

Here is what I found....

1. supply line kinked..... opened up a little more with a big philips screwdriver from inside...gently.

2. turned on pump and it pushed fuel but fuel was more water and sludge than actual fuel....hooked up lines

3. Drained 12gal of all the fuel from tank....just happened to have 5 gal buckets in truck along with 55gal drum in the back. went and got 10gal of clean fuel and rinsed tank with about 1-2 gal and put 5gal in tank and turned on pump...went down the line and drained all the filters....then cranked her...

SHE IS ALIIIVEE!!!:grd: she roared to life and fluttered for a minute or two then finally smoothed out....cleaned up and hit the road with chaser car!!! she has more power and wants to run!!! got her home in the stable and let her run a little with throttle out at about 1200-1300rpm to make sure she has cleared out the phlem!!!:twisted: Shut her down and I am now trying to clean up the mess!

Tracy

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah-ha:!: The dreaded "KINKY Fuel Line" from H*LL:twisted: I presume it has "MURPHY's FINGERPRINTS all over it, too, HUH:?:

Glad your roadside CPR revived her and invigorated her:!::driver:

This is another one for "The Handbook".

Thanks for the informative Thread.

stampy

I just saw this thread and was going to guess water when you said whitish WVO. If its white it has entrained water and Will screw up everything(as you saw). Drain the tank and you can heat the fuel up and filter off the water, it should settle to the bottom of your barrel. Just watch out for water it is the #1 cause of WVO problems!:wink:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup gonna start skimming off the top of that barrel.... hope people can learn from my mistake and not end up on the side of the road.

Yes, we ARE learning from your experience. And we thank you for sharing it all with us.

It's much like the old advice about walking through a minefield: Step in the previous guy's footprints. At least until your reach a crater and there are no more footprints!... Then you're on your own.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad that you made it home safe and sound! Also glad that prayers were answered and you didn't have to have her towed! CONGRATS on the trouble shooting!
God bless!
Tony:-D

Alredneck

Banned
Glad to hear you got her fixed! I always carry extra filters in my truck as they are cheap insurance to keep moving. I run 100% UMO and know it works down into the low 20s, harder to crank but once running no problems. I have put some nasty stuff in the tank because im broke, but thats why I carry extra filters.

stampy

Alredneck My setup uses WVO , I would suggest doing most of the filtering at home before putting it in your tank. This saves you the roadside filter changes...well it may at least reduces them. I would much rather change the filter at the house than on the road. Just a suggestion.:-D

saddamsnightmare

December 20th, 2009.

Airmech3839:

Sorry to hear your deuce conked out on you, and I'm glad you were able to get her moving again. While these engines are called "Multifuels", they seem happier on diesel and petroleum based fuels, as the alternatives were to get them out of a post nuclear armageddon, not generally used for every day operation. In the winter they seem to prefer diesel with stabilzer (cetane additive) or a small amount of gasoline to thin the fuel, but if you have been facing near freezing temps, I would really think cutting the WVO out of the fuel for the winter and wait untill it stays 50*F and above....
I have noted that the closer you get to 20-25% gasoline in the diesel that the deuce becomes much more sluggish on starting, so again, moderation in the fuel mixture would seem to be evident. The dreaded fuel line kink could also curl your hair, but do remind me to stay outta Georgia if they want to tow your truck the first night....

Good luck and keep the fuel system clean,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

airmech3839

Saddamsnightmare:

The cop was at least nice enough to call before trying to tow it because he knew I would have been pissed. He would have been correct in assuming that! Second he explained that because I was in a "turn lane" with no-parking signs along the road.(1 every 20ft) The law is, no matter what the turn lane is for, no parking period! so if in GA and you breakdown in a turn lane in the middle of nowhere....stay with the truck or it will be towed!! He actually by law went above his duty by actually going and pulling over a guy in a dually to move me into the parking lot about 40ft away. He felt bad and probably was spending too much time with me to make sure I was safe. He was a young kid and his suprivisor would be driving the same route in the am and would be asking him why he didnt have it towed. He obviously wants to impress his boss and pay attention to the details. He had a busy night as there were several bars on the strip i was at that were packed and I am sure he had DUI patrol! At any rate it ended up being a good thing and I was not stuck with a fine and tow fee, and it only cost me some sleep and 15gal of desiel!

Tracy

Alredneck

Banned
Well fellas, not thread jacking but since its relevant to this post. Ussually when I have time I have filter setup n electric pump. First filter is a 25micron, then it goes to a 5micron, then either in the tank or into a clean barrel. I used to be picky about the oil I picked up, if it wasnt black gold I didnt want it, well as times got tough I started getting oil that was a lil murky then muddy mississippi colored. ( I said junk oil ) Most the time I pre filtered it but sometimes would use another pump with only a 20mic filter would go right in the tank. In all 100% umo saved me a lot of money in 07 when I was stationed at Eglin AFB, FL and gas was 5.00 a gal, my dodge got put on the sidelines and I drove my deuce on free fuel from the self help shop. These days most shops sell their oil to companies like safety clean. So the getting is getting harder for good UMO. I have used gas in some of my rigs but in the heat of the summer noticed the will vapor lock at times. Its your rig so do what you want! Besides some stopped up filters havent had any problems even with the " trash " fuel.

As for filter changes, If I can get all three at a time from the parts store I will change all three, If not the secondaries are the most popular to get. So I will change both at the same time. I have had to pull the primary and leave the can empty cause it has been so stopped up, because of parts not available. Whenever I get a new deuce or multi anything, I will change all three filters, I use to do this for my customers at no charge so if you got a deuce hauled by me most likely you got napa filters in it. ( had to get them running to get on the trailer )

Last edited:

moleary

First - I'm really glad you got back on the road without any major expense and no injury!

I have to ask though...

Oh and for those that dont think it is easy to change the primary filter.. You all are wusses cause I did it in 5 minutes in the dark and cold so stop your whinning about an easier way to change it!!!
Hmmm, odd, isn't this the filter that had a mysteriously bent tube coming out of it the morning after you changed it in the dark?

oh boys what do we have here....the solid copper pipe is kinked right at the b-nut at filter...crap!!

Why yes - I believe it was!

:rofl:

airmech3839

kinky

First - I'm really glad you got back on the road without any major expense and no injury!

I have to ask though...

Hmmm, odd, isn't this the filter that had a mysteriously bent tube coming out of it the morning after you changed it in the dark?

Why yes - I believe it was!

:rofl:

Well...the kink had paint in it so I am gonna say that it was already like that and was the original problem....cause the line there was full of junk; and filter bowl...when i changed it was not. no whiteish stuff in any of the filters. it was all between the kink and tank. once I un-kinked the line it drained all that gunk out that had backed up. Then I turned pump on and let it push out till I realized whole tank needed to be drained. I had an extra set of hands there too....guy with the wrench on top and me spinning filter on bottom....made it superfast!

clpo

Glad you got her home. Sounds like a real nightmare, cold, wet, night. I think I have been there. Best part of your story, no one told you to go home use the search tool and read the manual!!

BEASTMASTER

put some **** dry gas in them tanks. 2 cans in each tank and then put in some of that power plus or some other diesel conditioner. it's WINTER TIME guys.