• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke the brakes.........yikes!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the M36A2 out this afternoon, fortunately I was in a parking lot slowing to park it, hit the brake pedal and had a mili-second of stopping power & bam! pedal to the floor.:shock:
The parking brake wasn't real happy about being deployed while moving either.
It did the job this time, but I think it will need replacing too.

I can only imagine the pucker factor had I been at speed!
It appears that I blew the right rear wheel cylinder.
Storm rolling in now so I won't be able to check it out tonight.

While I never tailgate anyone with this 16,000 lb toy, I will be leaving even more room in front of me in the future.

Was going to take this one to a display Saturday, looks like I be driving a 1 1/4 ton to it.

bigelk50

Thats bitter sweet about the brakes. Sweet that it happened in a parking lot. Things like this make you think about things that are usually rarely thought of. I hope that you get it fixed without any other hidden problems, be safe!

Carl_in_NH

I'm still in the process of looking for an M35A2 - and am doing research on modifications to a split break system by going through all the threads here in the forum on the subject. Your story is exactly why I want to do that modification once I obtain a truck. Things just happen too quickly when you've got a complete breaking system failure. A partial system failure with a split system just might make the difference between 'no-big-deal' and disaster that one time a failure happens out on the road.

-Carl

jwaller

I've been trying to piece together all the pieces to convert my deuce to a true split brake system. I'm almost at a point now where I'm going to buy a donor truck and rob the parts.

tiger422

I've been trying to piece together all the pieces to convert my deuce to a true split brake system. I'm almost at a point now where I'm going to buy a donor truck and rob the parts.
I know the mastercylinder needs to be changed to split the system what else need to be changed?
Do you have a part number for the mastercylinder?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr Waller, you do that and i'll be the next one to do it! Think about it guys, it can happen ANYTIME...even if you have new wheel cyls! I have been tossing this around for a bit with Craig from the Museum. It would benefit all of us if there were a kit to convert these pigs! There is a dude on e-gay who sells a split brake diagram for the M44 series trucks. It looks like just adding another air pak and re routing lines?

jwaller

it's in the TM's. it is a complicated swap. it's adding a lot of parts and pipes. I'm sure with enough time it can be done and not very much more $ other than a new master and airpack. I prefer a total stock retrofit. thats why my swap is taking longer.

ralbelt

My 1997 Ford expetition lost all braking power when a brake line rusted thru, and a friends 1998 did the same thing.

Mine happened when the wife was driving it in FL, coming up to a red light, luckly no one was in front of her and no traffic.
It has dual brake system and ABS. I have asked several people and it seems the ABS causes total brake loss, so even the newer stuff can have some serious failures. Granted its not a Deuce but still a serious size vehicle with some weight.

Gastrap

I know the feeling. I lost a line on a single circuit sysytem on my old Jeep FC170 going down a hill towards an intersection. I picked a spot in the ditch to drive into, but by the time I got to the intersection it was clear & rolled through.