• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Accelerator Cable

Walrus

I broke my accelerator cable 3 months ago and have not been able to get one that is the right length. I live in a large commercial fishing port and was able to manufacture one that is working for now. I ordered one from local Auto parts store and one from on-line Auto part store both come from Pioneer with the same part number CA-8503 on-line it is 39 3/4 inch. But when I pull it from box both times it measures 38 1/2. I have a call into Pioneer and waiting for call. Has anyone run into this problem or have a better solution?? Thanksaua

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Antennaclimber may have new GM cables. They are not cheap though.

Hasdrubal

How much are Antennaclimbers cables? If you don't mind me asking. And where is this "GM has them" at. I searched around and couldn't source an OEM cable. I broke one years ago and replaced it with a used one out of a donor truck. Wouldn't mind having another around as a spare.

cucvrus

GM part number 14038644. has been discontinued as you already know. After market replacements are available at Autozone, Oreilys , Advance , and NAPA. I have used them they work fine. OEM was better but these are direct replacements. All less then $20 American. Thats the money the part maybe not so. I hope that helps.

cucvrus

What problems did you have with them? I am asking because I never recall having any issues with them. They even warranty them. They are pretty simple pieces. The OEM ones I replaced mostly because of the rubber and the nylon torn or missing. I replaced many over the years for that reason only. A few where people leaned on them at the injection pump mounting point. That is always an issue. I wish I had them now.

dstang97

It was something on the injection pump side. Did not fit tight and was very sloppy. And there is no adjustment in the cable. It just didn't fit like oem. I guess I was lucky to find an oem one.

motormayhem

Did you ever hear back from pioneer? Having the same issue with the pioneer cables from the parts houses. I bough one from the same oriely (was checkers) 4 years ago and it was a perfect fit.

dependable

I recently bought a 1008 from GSA that had a new cable installed that was too short between the mounting clip and the IP, so it would idle too fast. I temporarily fixed it by duct taping in instead of clipping in. I just bought one from antennaclimber when I saw he had OEM ones. He has an ad in classified for them.

Walrus

I did hear back from Pioneer, I talked to the Tech Rep in the cable department and he called the GM rep and compared specifications and they match up to what Pioneer is selling. I still am not able to make the Pioneer cable work. The point where the cable mounts on the IP with the black cone sits to far from the cable attachment point on the IP so the motor races when I turn it over. I was able to fabricate a cable with thin fishing cable a metal thimble and cable anchors. I used the measurement from my broken cable. It is still working and I will research to see if the mount for the cable is different or the IP maybe different.

richingalveston

I just purchased a cable for my transfercase parking brake from
http://www.controlcables.com/
they made a custom cable with shipping for less than $50

you could probably send you the old one and have them copy it.

They seemed to be pretty good people with great quality on the product. I had to have mine corrected because I did not measure right and had to send it back and have the inner cable (not sleeve) lengthened by 1.5 inches and it only cost me $10 each way for shipping. They fixed the cable at no charge.

If you can get them to make a good one then other people here would have a source for a new Quality cable.

They turned my order around in a couple of days.

good luck
Rich

drbeeper17

I had the same problem a year or so ago. The cable snapped about 100 feet from the trail head. I had to use vice grips and no air cleaner to get home.

I remember having problems finding a replacement too. All the local auto parts stores had the same ones or ones that just didn't fit. I think I finally got a suitable replacement from LMC truck, but if I recall, I had to massage it to work correctly. It fit better than most. I kept a spare (it's in a blue box, so I think it is Pioneer) just in case it happened again and I was desperate.

motormayhem

I did hear back from Pioneer, I talked to the Tech Rep in the cable department and he called the GM rep and compared specifications and they match up to what Pioneer is selling. I still am not able to make the Pioneer cable work. The point where the cable mounts on the IP with the black cone sits to far from the cable attachment point on the IP so the motor races when I turn it over. I was able to fabricate a cable with thin fishing cable a metal thimble and cable anchors. I used the measurement from my broken cable. It is still working and I will research to see if the mount for the cable is different or the IP maybe different.
I had no luck with the Pioneer cable also. Took a look at my buddies '84 K10 diesel and that cable matches the CUCV so that pioneer cable doesn't look like it will work for either 6.2 diesel application. I sent pioneer a message as well to see if they can take another look at it and get it figured out. I'm sure if they get a bunch of complaints of it not working they would be more willing to fix it. I ordered an ATP Y270 cable which I have read on a few forums like dieselplace.com might work and what the parts guy at the local non chain place thought might work. So I'll post back if that works.

I just purchased a cable for my transfercase parking brake from
http://www.controlcables.com/
they made a custom cable with shipping for less than $50

you could probably send you the old one and have them copy it.

They seemed to be pretty good people with great quality on the product. I had to have mine corrected because I did not measure right and had to send it back and have the inner cable (not sleeve) lengthened by 1.5 inches and it only cost me $10 each way for shipping. They fixed the cable at no charge.

If you can get them to make a good one then other people here would have a source for a new Quality cable.

They turned my order around in a couple of days.

good luck
Rich
Sweet thanks for the info. I might check them out if the stuff above falls though or just make one myself.

scottladdy

... I ordered an ATP Y270 cable which I have read on a few forums like dieselplace.com might work and what the parts guy at the local non chain place thought might work. So I'll post back if that works.
Interested to see if the Y270 works or not.

Have also looked into accelerator cables you can "customize" like the Lokar's. Haven't gone that route yet. Those kits are close to Antennaclimber's cost for the NOS, so the only reason I would use one of those is to see if it worked.

motormayhem

Interested to see if the Y270 works or not.

Have also looked into accelerator cables you can "customize" like the Lokar's. Haven't gone that route yet. Those kits are close to Antennaclimber's cost for the NOS, so the only reason I would use one of those is to see if it worked.
Got the cable in…looks similar to the pioneer, but might work. I'll try to install it on monday/tuesday and let you know how it goes.

motormayhem

ATP Y270 is pretty similar to the Pioneer cable, too short on the engine side. Works ok if you cut the crimp indicated in the pictures below off :| . I wonder if we get enough people to contact ATP or Pioneer if they will adjust it. I know the one they used to make 4 years ago worked fine.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks