• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Accelerator Cable

TedO

throttle cable

I talked to a person at Chevrolet. He asked me if I had a CUCV M1008, the first time I actually talked to somebody who understood what kind of vehicle I had. He gave me this part number: 15674368

You wont be able to find it at any part sore like NAPA, OReilly, etc, but a lot of on line places have it, along with the clips and bushing. I am about to order one. Anybody else try this?

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l...0/accelerator-control-engine-compartment.html

cucvrus

I see that they list it. But do they have it. This is the same site that listed GM doors and gates and when you called and ask the current stock they said. Sorry that part is no longer available. Keep us posted how you make out with this. Not to be negative I hope you can get the cable. I am sure that has been covered here before. Good Luck. Remember a good used one is better the a discontinued used one.

Hasdrubal

First time I've seen that part number ;15674368. It shows for years 1988-1993. Can someone who orders one, confirm it fits? I've always gone by the # 14038644.

TedO

I see that they list it. But do they have it. This is the same site that listed GM doors and gates and when you called and ask the current stock they said. Sorry that part is no longer available. Keep us posted how you make out with this. Not to be negative I hope you can get the cable. I am sure that has been covered here before. Good Luck. Remember a good used one is better the a discontinued used one.

Ordered the 15674368 cable from gmpartsnation.com - its in stock. ( gmpartsnation.com had the fastest estimated arrival times-3 days, in stock at their Nevada Mega warehouse) . Other people like newgmparts.com also have it, but are slower with the shipping. Noticed this cable is supposed to work with several 1980's-1990's GM pickups and SUV's, like K3500.

Last edited:

TedO

gmpartsgiant.com comes through for me with a new throttle cable for my M1008 pickup, 15674368. I also was able to order a newclip.The got it to me in 2 days. I paid for second day air, and noticed they had sent it overnight shipping. Way cool.

Here is the deal, this is not the original cable, but it fits. I installed it within 15 minutes.

Some observations- it comes with an extra clip to better secure the cable. I suspect it was the unsecured cable flopping around that led to all of these things breaking where they did.

The cable comes with a plastic bushing inside of a rubber grommet on the engine side. I removed the plastic bushing and replaced it with my old steel bushing. I couldnt get the plastic bushing to slide over the peg. When you are putting the cable on the peg and attaching the clip, push the throttle all the forward. This makes it possible to reach these critical pieces without having to use hemostats. I ordered a spare clip from gmpartsgiant.com for $1.00.

The only problem I had was the plastic clip on the engine side was not the same as the original, and it doesnt have the rubber bushing to secure the cable into the bracket. I pushed it on as far as I could get it-about half way, then secured it with aircraft wire. It feels secure. Just took it around the block. No screaming throttle.

cucvrus

I do love used OEM parts. That different end on the cable was a dead giveaway. This subject was covered before. GM discontinued this part and is now trying to pass along an import knock off that fits poorly. Sorry you are having trouble but that is why I was skeptic about the availability. Good Luck. Head for the Upullit.

TedO

It took me 20 minutes to put on throttle cable 15674368 from gmpartsnation.com. It is not the original part, but it fits. There was a little extra slack in the cable, which can be remedied by cutting off the endcap at the gas pedal, pulling the slack through, and putting on a new swage endcap (takes about 10 minutes, and you may want to use a swage cimper). Or you can simply pull the slack through and crimp on a lead fishing weight. I was on the road in 25 minutes, and have since driven 300 miles with no problems. Its easy to shorten a cable that is too long. Lengthening a cable to short....not so easy.

I tried grinding off the ferrule off of the 14038644 cable as per the article, using a dremmel tool with a small grinder. Workd on it for about an hour, got it down to just above the cable, but there was no way that thing could be "bent" off. Tyring to pry it off, I felt strands breaking. Tried grinding it closer, more strands breaking. Those swage ferrules are solid, and not intended to be removed once put on, unless you cut the cable. A confocal microscope might help.

Yes, you can start searching the pick-a -parts, but keep in mind, all of the original cables have the same defect, and anything you find also has a high probability that you may be left stranded again. Not too many pick a parts in southern CA. Even fewer containing CUCV's.

Hasdrubal

Does any one know if a broken cable can be taken in and fixed at a bicycle shop? They should be able to swage ferrules on a new cable to a desired length.

TedO

Putting on an endcap is pretty darn simple. You can buy the cheap version of a crimper for about $10. I get my tools and hardware from aircraft hardware supply stores, my other hobby, or you can find stuff on ebay. Or even simpler, you can use an adjustable endcap that has a thumbscrew to secure the cable. You can see these on bicycles.

cucvrus

002.jpgAfter hearing all this hub bub about the throttle cable issues I went out and removed everyone from every cab and every salvage truck that I had on the lot. I have 5 good cables and 2 new ones. I only ever needed 1 in 20 years so I think now I have a double lifetime supply. Used but still good cables. I will see if I can get more at the Upullit this weekend.

TedO

After hearing all this hub bub about the throttle cable issues I went out and removed everyone from every cab and every salvage truck that I had on the lot. I have 5 good cables and 2 new ones. I only ever needed 1 in 20 years so I think now I have a double lifetime supply. Used but still good cables. I will see if I can get more at the Upullit this weekend.

If its broken, and you cant buy one, and you dont have a junkyard behind your house, it isnt hubub. I was driving on the freeway at 55 mph, and the traffic stopped in front of me. I took my foot off of the gas pedal and still felt the truck accelerating, while the gas pedal was laying on the floorboard. Thats not a good feeling. There is a reason everybody is having the cables break in the same place. I have had many high mileage vehicles, and never in my lifetime have I had a throttle cable break, let alone stick and hold the throttle down. I would look very closely at those old cables, in the vicinity of the rubber grommet at the motor end.

cucvrus

OH I have been there. I was 200+ miles from home on a Saturday night on my way home after a wedding reception in the rain when my throttle cable broke. I was along the road for all of 2 minutes. I went in the woods and grabbed a stick shoved it in the throttle and started the M1009 and put it in gear. It went about 70 on the highway I 81 south from Syracuse. When I got to hills I had to pick up and mash the pedal so it went to passing gear. I came into a town and shut the switch off and coasted. Officer Friendly was at the 7-11 and I pulled in and explained the situation so he knew when I started it I had to go and was not ripping out. He was fine with that and away we went. You have to be asking why I took my family to the wedding in an M1009. Well it was at the request of the Brides family. They wanted me to kidnap her and take her in the woods so everyone paid a ransom to get her back. I am glad it did not break during the woods driving. I went thru some hefty logging roads and was in a tux. That would have sucked bad to get out of the woods with no control on the throttle. The mud was door sill deep and the bride was trooper she laughed the whole time. So I know how it is to get in a bind. I still made it home and the bride lived happily ever after and was divorced in 3 years. The M1009 still marches on. Thanks for looking.

zerogas

IMG_2669.jpgIMG_2670.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2670.jpgI did the pioneer mod that Motormayham talked about
Works great and now I truly feel I am getting full throttle

Sorry for the double pics

Last edited:

TedO

I did hear back from Pioneer, I talked to the Tech Rep in the cable department and he called the GM rep and compared specifications and they match up to what Pioneer is selling. I still am not able to make the Pioneer cable work. The point where the cable mounts on the IP with the black cone sits to far from the cable attachment point on the IP so the motor races when I turn it over. I was able to fabricate a cable with thin fishing cable a metal thimble and cable anchors. I used the measurement from my broken cable. It is still working and I will research to see if the mount for the cable is different or the IP maybe different.

I used 15674368, the number that GM gave me, and had my cucv M1008 on the road in 10 minutes. It was a little long, not short, so I cut it to the right size and crimped on an end plug, and that WAS IT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks