• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Alternator Bracket?

dk8019

Going through more through the truck, she's all painted up now and looks nice, putting it back together etc, but my alternator moves around like crazy! Seems that something might be broken or loose on the back end. One of our fellow SS members mentioned that they do break, but is this one broken?

2016-06-20 20.36.53.jpg2016-06-20 20.36.31.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something don't look right.....what breaks a lot of these mouthing tabs is that people forget to install the Thick washer in between the Gen mount and the rear mount tab. That washer is used because the first gen of rear gen support brackets was that very same thickness. When they went to that large twisted bar for the rear gen support,
the washer had to be used to make up the difference of that now missing spacer that the old mount provided.
the early rear gen support Brkt was a common failure point....

dk8019

I think I'll take the whole thing out and see if I can sort it out. It almost looks like the smaller aluminum bracket should be part of the generator/alternator, but I can't find a good picture of the rear of the alternator to compare.

gcbennet

The gen on my truck was doing same when I first got it a few years back. I discovered the rear cast mount of the gen itself had snapped and the only thing holding the whole unit secure was the front mount and the tensioner bracket. By the book there's supposed to be the twisted chunk of steel flat bar securing the rear mount to a double threaded stud on the exhaust manifold, as well as a standoff which holds the hoses secure below it, both of which appear present in your pic. My guess is the cast mount on the gen is cracked through.

Action

Before taking it all apart, just start the engine and feel around the back side for movement. Or with engine OFF, try to move the back of the gen by hand.

dk8019

Ok, it will move, and the brackets are there, so the casting is broken. Can the rear part of the generator be replaced, or am I shelling out $400 for a new one?

dk8019

Warhorse, I would consider it, but I don't think I grasp the advantage of the higher current setup. I understood the 200A setup was the handle heavier electrical loads, correct? I can't see my 998 every drawing more than the headlights.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your main bracket.....the long skinny slotted part of it tends to crack when the rear bracket gets loose , and sometime the exhaust stud shears off.
Then with a combination of some above condition....Alt. tab could break.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warhorse, I would consider it, but I don't think I grasp the advantage of the higher current setup. I understood the 200A setup was the handle heavier electrical loads, correct? I can't see my 998 every drawing more than the headlights.

Its much less problematic, much more readily available, cheaper, the mount is steel not aluminum, you get to have a constant 12v power source from the 12v tap on the regulator. The 200amp IS the standard generator for all HMMWV's regardless.

Last edited:

vinhvinny

If the aluminum bracket can fit the new 200amp. Can I not replace it? If I reinforce it with an improvised piece of twisted metal--like one in the back--to the front part where the bolt attached?

is the new bracket all about stronger steel material but not fitment? My measurement is that the 200amp gen will fit the old aluminum bracket perfectly fine.

thank you

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the aluminum bracket can fit the new 200amp. Can I not replace it? If I reinforce it with an improvised piece of twisted metal--like one in the back--to the front part where the bolt attached?

is the new bracket all about stronger steel material but not fitment? My measurement is that the 200amp gen will fit the old aluminum bracket perfectly fine.

thank you

One would think there is a reason the install kit includes a NEW steel gen mount with a 12in mounting bolt?...
that aluminum mount won't last long with the weight of that 200amp....also, the 200amp kits are dirt cheap.

DOUBLE ALT

Alternator brackets.. I can tell you about several engineering Bo Bo's the Military accepted. LMTV and MTV as well as older models have design flaws. The bolts and bolt holes don't match. The brackets were bent too sharp and cracked the metal. The alternators weigh over 50 pounds all adding to the problems.
Double Alt

DOUBLE ALT

Alternators

Can anyone show me vehicle parts that have a shelf life? Maybe a gasket that dries out.
Well, certain Military Alternators do. We are not talking about a loaf of bread or a can of beans. I have civilian alternators that are 20 years old and as good as the day they were built.
On the other hand they are not filled with epoxy that breaks down after a few years, and after multiple heat cycles.
Just remember too, without good engineering, the larger output the alternator, the less amps are available at lower RPM, especially at idle. The alternator should match the expected loads with some reserve.
Food for thought.
Double Alt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks