• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken axle 915a1

cornrichard

I just pulled the axles on my new 915a1. One wheel is locked up and won't move. When I got the axle out of that side it was broken. I can easily get a new one at the junk yard. What kind of house keeping should I do in the center section?

Attachments

Nonotagain

I just pulled the axles on my new 915a1. One wheel is locked up and won't move. When I got the axle out of that side it was broken. I can easily get a new one at the junk yard. What kind of house keeping should I do in the center section?
If it were mine, the center section would be coming out for inspection. Could be that the ring and pinion have a problem causing the center to lock up before the axle let go.

As for cleaning the axle tube, a cheap carwash sponge and a broom handle with some diesel fuel or varsol for clean-up, the run a magnet thru to see if there is any metal remaining inside.

Don't forget to clean and inspect the wheel bearings.

Hammer

Dito on the above.
Think of it like cleaning the bore on a rifle, you want a TIGHT fit that gets all the stuff that is stuck in there.
Btw, I like to use biodiesel for the cleaning. Stuff cleans GREAT!

If it all looks good, replace the axle, run new fluid for a short time and change the fluid out to check for other stuff you might have missed.

cornrichard

I will pull the chunk and the wheel bearings. I pulled the brake inspection plates and smacked the pads with my small persuader. They let go on the 3rd love pat. I bet the stuck brake was the start of this problem.

powerhouseduece

**** dude, what were you doing to do that?!?! :wink: If the brakes were locked up on the axle and some one got a little heavy on the skinny peddel, that could have done it! Did the tires look like they were worn down like someone was doing burnouts?

cornrichard

Yeah it is a FT.Meade truck I got both of the trucks from there. The 1st that sold is in really great shape with only on fender needing rust repair. The 2nd is not as nice but it is growing on me. I think I can have it the way I want it for under a grand if I am lucky.

cundupa

Check the axle on the other side also. The 915 I picked up in Lansing for Fort Rogers had both axles broke and something in the diff bad. Very easy to find parts, all commercial stuff.
Your not going to get your 817 back either, it's working out well.

cornrichard

Glad the 817 is earning its keep. Dad said he was kind of sad to see it go. I think he is ok now that the 915 fleet is home we can get started on them. I pulled both axles so I could push out the broken piece. The other side is fine. I was at a wedding last night and I lacked the ambition to pull the chunk today. I will try to post picks of it out of the truck.

cornrichard

Just got off the phone with local salvage yard. $75 for used pull out axle. I will take it! No shiny bits came out with the oil so that might be a good sign. There is a magnet in the drain plug, also clean.