• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Belt Replacement

Turkrypty

Hello all!

My Unimog broke its front hydraulic belt and threw the alternator belt, so I need to replace all three. So far I removed the skid plates to expose the front hydraulic pump, and I drained and unbolted the radiator. My reasoning is that the rad comes out then the fan comes off and then you can replace the belts. However I can not sneak the radiator out past the fan, the lower rad hose nipple gets caught in the fan.. I've been stuck at this point for a few days now, so I need help and I have questions

1) is removing the radiator the right step to take to replace the belts?
2) what belt do i need for the hydraulic pump? it has no markings.
3) I'm thinking i need to tilt the cab to get the rad out. someone please tell me I'm wrong.
4) oddly enough the tachometer stopped working when the belt broke. I cant see any broken or damaged cables or wires around the fan so Im confused by thins. thoughts?

Last edited:

kirk

I just did belts on two FLU419s. Removed radiator brace and tied radiator forward at top one half inch. Removed skid plate. Snaked belts around fan, sometimes turning fan by hand. Water pump pulley needs to come off to do alternator belt. Center belt in photo is hydraulic pump belt. 652CC582-1054-42EF-B748-D1359181A953.jpeg

Turkrypty

Hello all!

Quick update: Brents347 gave me a fantastic writeup on how to do it. I pulled off the alternator and water pump pulley, found the tension nut for the power steering pump and got it loose,

However, the PS pump still wont move. I put a large bar on it and wedged with enough force to move the whole motor but it still wont budge. I've been soaking it with PB blaster every few hours and ill try again in the morning. I also discovered that you can actually see the tension nut and stud if you look in through the hole where the front PTO is located. I'm considering putting a nut on the end of the stud and trying to use that to back it up and loosen the belt. I was also wondering if I need to loosen the pivot bolt or not. I tried but that's a big nut.

thanks for everyone's help here and elsewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks