• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Down Twice Today

Akicita

My whistler Deuce always started at the first push of the starter button but for the last two weeks, I had trouble starting her up. With enough grinding, she would eventually start and run fine - until today.

On my way home tonight, I noticed that the engine got a little quieter all of a sudden and then stopped. It took 1-1/2 cycles at the red light before she reluctantly started up again. I made it all the way into my driveway but then the engine stopped again.

It's raining hard and I have no light out here by the road. I'll just let the old girl sit there until the weekend.

I run the truck on straight diesel and doubt there are any dirt particles in the fuel but I want to check the filters anyway.
I'll also take a look at the air filter even though we don't have much dust flying around here.
I have a hunch that the engine doesn't get enough fuel.

I have only had the Deuce for a few months now and don't have any real experience working on the multifuel engine. What else do you suggest I check ?

jwaller

primary fuel filter. mine gets hard to crank and it's always the primary. change it and it goes back to lighting off on the first hint of the starter.

hoop

You have air in the fuel system. Bleed the air out before trying to start, that will save your starter and get you home. Then at least change your primary filter.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel transfer pump not working, and or fuel filters! What some Folks miss, is that the fuel filters can be changed and in the first 15 minutes of use, they can get another slug of water type stuff and need to be changed AGAIN. The filters are "that good". Thats so that you don't have to keep changing the delicate IP. Fuel problems can drive you nuts, hence the saying, "Buy clean Fuel. and Keep it clean". They tried to make this part "fool proof", and came pretty close, but still some care needs to be taken.

cornrichard

The plastic fuel lines are another good thing to check when the truck is hard to start. If you had a flashlight and the driveway was wet you would probably know you had a leak.

LanceRobson

The troubleshooting Guide in the -20 lists all the actions to check starting with the most common problems first. Don't start spending $ and time in a hit or miss attempt to rewrite the TM. The DOD had well over 50,000 of these things and has a pretty good idea how to keep them running. None of us are likely to do better than to follow the troubleshooting guides.

Lance

scopionf89

I don't know about you guys, But I can hear my in tank fuel pump running:) I hope that is normal:)
That is normal for all vehicals its the eletric pump that is priming the system. If you have your wife, or a budie turn the key on your car wile you have your head next to the fule tank you should hear the fule pump in your car start working. You just cant hear it because its a lot quiter than the ones in MV's. Personly i like the reasurance of hearing my fule pump turn on it makes me know thats not the reason my truck wont start.

All MV's have intank fule pums now. If you dont hear the pump kick on when you turn your power swich on then your eletric pump is most likly the problem.

jasonjc

Just a few thought here:
Hearing the pump does not mean its working.
YES check filters frist, they are ment to clogg. That means they are working.
Just because YOU put in clean fuel does not mean the tank is clean or that the last owner put in clean fuel.

On a side note remember this guys. The in tank fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. If you run with less than 1/2-1/4 tank of fuel all the time , that pump is going to run hotter.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine used to do the same thing because the primary filter would work itself loose a little bit. I installed a spin on from Westfolk and it's never had a problem since.

Akicita

Just a quick Thank YOU for all your responses. The rain has stopped but I did not get around to working on the Deuce at all today.

I just downloaded some videos from YouTube on the replacement of the standard fuel filters with spin-on filters. I did not see a video on the replacement of the primary filter though. That's the way I want to go.

Coal Cracker

Just a quick Thank YOU for all your responses. The rain has stopped but I did not get around to working on the Deuce at all today.

I just downloaded some videos from YouTube on the replacement of the standard fuel filters with spin-on filters. I did not see a video on the replacement of the primary filter though. That's the way I want to go.

Make shure when you change the 2 master filters, yuo fill them with diesel, to keep as much air out of the injection pump, also start with the primary fuel filter located on the right hand side inback/under the alternator, that more likely where you issue is. Good Luck