• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken fuel pump pushrod

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

So I was replacing my fuel pump when I removed the pump and plate I noticed the pushrod was sheared off on the end. I didn’t notice anything else fall out and fear the sheared off piece is stuck above. I tried to snap a photo but still can’t tell for sure. IF THERE IS A PIECE STUCK, ANY IDEAS HOW TO GET IT OUT?
Has anyone had this happen before?

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This happens when someone installs a pump without first ensuring the rod is held in place with grease, the other half (can be seen in the first picture) can be removed with a magnet.

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

This happens when someone installs a pump without first ensuring the rod is held in place with grease, the other half can be removed with a magnet.
Thanks, yeah I’m currently looking for the strongest magnet that will fit. You think it’s a bad idea to crank the motor over briefly to eject it out?

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

You could at least give a few minutes for a response....
just use a skinny magnet tool. The rod almost falls out by itself.
Rub a screwdriver on a big speaker magnet if you want.
Not rushing you, sometimes it’s difficult to communicate through texts. I truly appreciate all responses whenever they come in. I’ve got time since I have to wait for the new pushrod to arrive. I tried the strongest magnet I have but I can’t get it all the way in there. I tried a smaller one that fit all the way in but either it’s really stuck or not strong enough to pull it out. I then tried cranking the engine a few brief seconds and nothing.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have you ever seen this pump replaced with an electric pump?
I’m in the process right now. I’m too old to crawl around beneath the Humvee to replace a mechanical pump whenever that need might arise, and have told myself the stock fuel filter canister is coming out only once…to discard it! I know a couple of the most knowledgeable and respected members of the SS community have questioned the reason for upgrading the fuel system like this but my reasons are valid enough for me. The only thing I find more difficult than getting down onto my creeper is getting off it and back on my feet again!
Have ordered the fittings to complete the installation. Vulcan Performance has been very helpful in that regard.71DEEE9A-3E14-426A-8240-3585635AA136.jpeg

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I have done it on the Detroit, one really great upgrade from the early automotive technology, just make sure you have it regulated down to less than 10PSI or so and it is a quality pump and filter.
View attachment 862886
Thank you Mr MogMan for the inspiration to make this upgrade. I remembered seeing it somewhere in the SS forums but didn’t remember who contributed it. Just knew it was for me!

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

I’m in the process right now. I’m too old to crawl around beneath the Humvee to replace a mechanical pump whenever that need might arise, and have told myself the stock fuel filter canister is coming out only once…to discard it! I know a couple of the most knowledgeable and respected members of the SS community have questioned the reason for upgrading the fuel system like this but my reasons are valid enough for me. The only thing I find more difficult than getting down onto my creeper is getting off it and back on my feet again!
Have ordered the fittings to complete the installation. Vulcan Performance has been very helpful in that regard.View attachment 862885
Do you have a parts list or info for this set up?

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a parts list or info for this set up?
I don’t mean to be hijacking this thread. Will start a separate thread on my growing list of modifications later. But answering your question and related to the original fuel pump replacement you started this thread with;
Fuel pump is a “Raptor R1SBU369”. Comes factory preset at 8 psi.
Fuel filter is a “Racor Fuel Filter / Water Separator 500FGSS, using a 10 micron filter cartridge“.
I disassembled and painted it black myself.
Various fittings and fuel hose sourced from Vulcan Performance and NAPA.
Placement of these on your MV is entirely up to you. I mounted them where MogMan placed his because I can stand right next to them and service them at waist height. It is the most logical placement on the Humvee.
I suggest using mounting plates with 1/4” rubber pads on both sides of the plastic splashguard to mitigate vibration, distribute the weight, and not risk cracking the plastic. I cut the pads from a 96 inch roll of rubber purchased from Tractor Supply. I used some stainless plates I had laying around my extremely cluttered shop. Have moved them around countless times in the past thinking I would eventually have use for them. Maybe someone out there in the SS community can relate to that. My family says I am a hoarder…..they just don’t understand!
Thank you for your interest. I am close to completing the mod and will post pictures when complete. Please post pictures of your’s, if and when.

Attachments

Last edited:

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

I don’t mean to be hijacking this thread. Will start a separate thread on my growing list of modifications later. But answering your question and related to the original fuel pump replacement you started this thread with;
Fuel pump is a “Raptor R1SBU369”. Comes factory preset at 8 psi.
Fuel filter is a “Racor Fuel Filter / Water Separator 500FGSS, using a 10 micron filter cartridge“.
I disassembled and painted it black myself.
Various fittings and fuel hose sourced from Vulcan Performance and NAPA.
Placement of these on your MV is entirely up to you. I mounted them where MogMan placed his because I can stand right next to them and service them at waist height. It is the most logical placement on the Humvee.
I suggest using mounting plates with 1/4” rubber pads on both sides of the plastic splashguard to mitigate vibration, distribute the weight, and not risk cracking the plastic. I cut the pads from a 96 inch roll of rubber purchased from Tractor Supply. I used some stainless plates I had laying around my extremely cluttered shop. Have moved them around countless times in the past thinking I would eventually have use for them. Maybe someone out there in the SS community can relate to that. My family says I am a hoarder…..they just don’t understand!
Thank you for your interest. I am close to completing the mod and will post pictures when complete. Please post pictures of your’s, if and when.
Thank you all for the help! I’m gonna start ordering everything today.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be advised the fuel pump is 12 volt. Connect to keyed power source accordingly.
If you also install a toggle switch discretely near the driver seat you will have a great measure of theft prevention.
It will run without the pump running, I know cuz I undersized the fuse the first time around, not very well but it got me 4 miles down the road to a safe place to pull off.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will run without the pump running, I know cuz I undersized the fuse the first time around, not very well but it got me 4 miles down the road to a safe place to pull off.
Yeah, there is fuel in the IP. Well, then not so great. I deleted that sentence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks