• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken glow plug tip removal, well kinda broken

sermis

OK I was removing the glow plugs. Three were swollen, one really bad.
On #6 the entire glow plug tip separated from the glow plug. I have removed the injector and my son says that the tip is loose in the hole but we can't get it out. I can't really get my fat arm and fingers in there.....and no way to get my big head in there to see.
Question is if the entire tip is in the hole is there enough room in the chamber to fish it out? I know if it's broken in half just fish it out but he says it will not go into the head far enough to clear the threaded hole to be removed.
If that's the case I was thinking drive in in some more and maybe it will bend enough to clear then fish it out.....well no room for a hammer and punch. Next idea was get a bolt and turn the end down to the size of the tip and screw it in until the tip gives and then fish it out.
Anything in the back of the chamber that can be damaged?
Anybody with a better idea?

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if you might damage anything in the chamber with your idea, but I doubt you would damage anything and it likely won't take much to push the tip into the chamber. I have fished out a GP tip using a piece of welding rod with chewing gum on the end. I bent the end of the rod into a very tight loop to keep the chewing gum adhered to while fishing for the tip of the GP. I eventually caught it in a way I could extract the tip. I also try to routinely replace glow plugs to keep them in good condition. The diesels I have are very easy to replace glow plugs.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Baha, I see a new thread coming. How to get chewing gum out of your engine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sermis

Well the problem is it will not come out. I can get hemostats on it and it moves some but I am guessing it's too long to clear the head where it will come out. It didn't brake in half, it's the entire tip inside. Best I can tell the tip is hitting the back of the chamber and is still in the threaded hole thus I can not get it to come up and out. And it had to be #6 where I can't see or even whack it with something.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you think it's in the hole, start it up ad blow it out with a good rev up.

sermis

Only other idea I have right now is to turn the end of a bolt down to the tip size and screw it into the hole and hopefully crush the tip enough to lift it out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would try Doghead's idea first. If it's still in the hole, it should blow right out if you rev up the engine. In fact, if it's not too loose in the hole I wonder if simply turning the engine over with the starter might blow it out due to the high compression ratio. Nothing to lose trying.

BLK HMMWV

I suggest you refer to the Technical manual section listed under the technical manual section here on Steel Soldiers. or go buy a TM for your vehicle.
At the top of this page click the technical manual Tab then scroll down to present conflict vehicles. Find the 5th one down labeled HMMWV A1 trouble shooting section 4
The technical manual describes exactly how to remedy the problem you have.
You will need to pull out the injector in the problem cylinder and blow the glow plug tip out of the injector hole using compressed air.
Good luck

Last edited:

Barrman

Dang Steve. If I understand it correctly. The compressed air method won't work because the tip is stuck against the back of the pre-cup? Pliers or anything you have stuck in through the injector hole aren't able to keep a grip on it when you try to pull them out? Right?

You need to either break it into smaller pieces or bend it to rattle around loose in the pre-cup. I think your turned down bolt idea is the most controlled way of doing that. You will be able to feel if it lets go and then go fishing. Put on more pressure and keep trying until you get it bent just enough to come out yet not fall down into the cylinder.

Starting the engine for me has never shot out a swollen plug through the plug hole. I would be very leary of having the injection line blowing fuel out with a start attempt.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang Steve. If I understand it correctly. The compressed air method won't work because the tip is stuck against the back of the pre-cup? Pliers or anything you have stuck in through the injector hole aren't able to keep a grip on it when you try to pull them out? Right?

You need to either break it into smaller pieces or bend it to rattle around loose in the pre-cup. I think your turned down bolt idea is the most controlled way of doing that. You will be able to feel if it lets go and then go fishing. Put on more pressure and keep trying until you get it bent just enough to come out yet not fall down into the cylinder.

Starting the engine for me has never shot out a swollen plug through the plug hole. I would be very leary of having the injection line blowing fuel out with a start attempt.
Pull the connector on the fuel shutoff.

Barrman

The suggestion was made a few post up to start the engine with the injector removed. That is why I wrote that.

Steve, I went and looked at a head I got sitting in my class. Maybe taking an old screwdriver or anything with enough length and strength for the job and after getting the end red hot. Bend it partly around another glow plug end. Then try getting it hooked on the stuck part and giving a good yank to get it loose.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done several similar to this with success.

No fuel spraying as it should be firing as it runs.

sermis

Well round 3, it knocked me down but not out. Tried just starting and hoping that the compression would blow out the tip. Well not with my luck, just had a miss in the engine. Sounded like #6 lol.
The homemade glow plug harness and timer worked like a champ even with only 7 plugs working. I'm going to try it in the morning and see how it's going to start / work with the temp in the 20's.....down from 79 today.
Unless they make a tool that will screw in the glow plug hole and push / crush the tip enough to be able to remove it I will turn a bolt down and try that. Or maybe I'll just run it with 7 plugs.
Problem is it's #6 and cant really hammer or punch it and get it to bend enough.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I feel for you on this! My friend auctionaddict and I worked on one of mine until 1:00 am trying to get that tip out of the head. We had a puller tool and it pulled the shoulders off and left the tip hanging. After trying every idea and tool we could create, we finally we able to get a punch in the injector hole and bend it enough that we pulled the piece out with hemostats. We were on the second one from the front on passenger side. Good luck and hopefully with patience you can get it bent and retrieved without pulling the head!

NormB

Reading through this, thinking I may possibly face this in future as I plan on replacing the glow plugs in my truck - giving it a thorough going over and figure hey, what the heck, I have NO clue how well this vehicle was maintained for the past 34k miles, I'll pull 'em anyway to check their condition, apply antiseize to new and put 'em in.

sounds like this is a common enough problem, I've been following this thread with interest and wanted to suggest someone might try a set of THESE:

https://www.amazon.com/G-S-SURGICAL...F8&qid=1482033610&sr=8-2&keywords=ear+forceps

I use these in clinic from time to time - they come in many different sizes/calibers. One use I found is when kids put beads in their ears I use a set of German made Miltex alligator forceps by putting the tip (closed) through the hole in the bead THEN opening up the jaws which holds the bead like a plastic, um "Diebel" you'd punch through drywall before introducing a steel screw. Withdraw the forceps, bead HAS to follow. EZPZ. They can work on OPENING as well as CLOSING. I showed that to a preceptor once and with 30+ years surgical practice, he had never once thought to use a tool in a manner other than for which it was designed.

There ARE many different styles, sizes, shapes, thicknesses, curvature models of ordinary Kelly forceps including curved. Some are designed to put an amazing amount of pressure on small structures, like arteries - might work on bits of glow plug too.

Maybe this will help someone troubleshoot this issue... someone like me.

NormB

This was mentioned above. They are called hemostats.
Um, no.

Hemostats and forceps are not necessarily the same thing. There are many different kinds, types, shapes.

It's like saying needle nose pliers and vise grips are the same 'cause they grip.

aua