• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken glow plug tip removal, well kinda broken

sermis

I can get the Hemostats on the glow plug Tip, I can feel the tip move around. Problem is the tip is hitting the back of the chamber and still in the hole at the same time. Hemostats just slide off ever time I try to lift it out. Tim has an idea to use somethin curved and go under the tip and see if it will bend enough to come up and out. that would be a lot easier than turning a bolt and trying to force it into the hole.
Temp was 21 this morning and with only 7 glow plugs working the truck started right up. I'm tempted to just call it a day and only run with 7 glow plugs.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you try to screw a bolt in to crush the GP, make sure the piston is up or you risk pushing the pre-chamber out. Its not likely, but has happened.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I broke a tip off mine and didn't realize it as the glow plug fell under the truck and didn't bother to look at it. Put new glow plugs in, started it up and holy crap I thought the engine was screwed it was making so much racket. After I shut it down, I looked at the plug that had fallen under the truck and saw the piece of tip missing. I opted to try the little piece getting out the exhaust method. Ran for about 3-5 seconds like the engine was going to rattle to death, then almost died(exhaust valve hung up for a second) and then all was good. The tip went out the exhaust. It was a small piece off the tip and I don't recommend doing this. Worked for the small piece of glow plug on mine.

sermis

Well I'm not sure......?????? I couldn't get it out so just left it and ran 7 good ones. We had stopped at the post office and as I walked in all of the sudden I heard a very loud TAPPING / HAMMERING from the motor and sounded like it was going to come apart and die. Well it's a 6.2 so I'm thinking it's toast so I'll just replace it if it blows up so away we went towards home. Drive it like you stole it. About two miles down the road it started running "OK" again. Couple of times it hammered again not as bad. I'm thinking that the tip is now inside cylinder #6 and stuck to the top of the piston. I can still hear a tapping, not like a rod knock, but it's not that bad. As long as it didn't bend a valve I'll be happy. I have been told that most of the time the tip will blow out the exhaust valve but I'm thinking this one is too big to come out. I did order me one of those fancy cellphone camera gadgets to look inside and see what is going on. Will check when the camera thing gets here. I'm guessing Iv'e put 700- 800 miles on the truck since then and no major issues yet.

sermis

It was the entire tip of the glow plug, not just the broken swollen part and it was jammed in to the point I couldn't get it out at all. I am going to pull the injector and glow plug base and check it again. Just haven't had time.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm not sure......?????? I couldn't get it out so just left it and ran 7 good ones. We had stopped at the post office and as I walked in all of the sudden I heard a very loud TAPPING / HAMMERING from the motor and sounded like it was going to come apart and die. Well it's a 6.2 so I'm thinking it's toast so I'll just replace it if it blows up so away we went towards home. Drive it like you stole it. About two miles down the road it started running "OK" again. Couple of times it hammered again not as bad. I'm thinking that the tip is now inside cylinder #6 and stuck to the top of the piston. I can still hear a tapping, not like a rod knock, but it's not that bad. As long as it didn't bend a valve I'll be happy. I have been told that most of the time the tip will blow out the exhaust valve but I'm thinking this one is too big to come out. I did order me one of those fancy cellphone camera gadgets to look inside and see what is going on. Will check when the camera thing gets here. I'm guessing Iv'e put 700- 800 miles on the truck since then and no major issues yet.

It's very well a sticky injector

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be injector but all were rebuilt 3,000 miles back

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
does not make a difference...a sticky injector sounds like a serious rod knock that rises and falls with rpm.
ive had a few in my days...even a sticky or bad lifter will make almost the same noise.

Halsvt1

I had the same exact problem with the threaded glow plug part coming off leaving half the glow plug. So I decided to pull the injector and attempt to get it out. I used a paper towel to stuff under the glow plug. I then used a cut down hax saw blade and cut some of the glow plug to make it easier to bend. Next used a small cold chisel and gave it a few good wacks being careful not to hit the threads. I was nervous at times but after about 4 hours got the glow plug out. It is useful to have the flex tool with the grabbers on it to get out the bent plug. After all done vacuumed out the chamber and she started right up.