• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Ignition - What now?

MVPAL

Hey folks,

The ignition on my M1009 broke this morning. The key wont engage and the column is locked up tight.

Naturally this happened at my work parking lot this morning with truck being stranded.

Is there an easy way to hotwire these things? It is a 12v conversion.

I am about to get rid of it and just need to be able to run it. I dont care about the ignition at this time.

Wish it had just a (start) button.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without knowing how it was converted, would be hard to guide you to a safe way to bypass. Probably best for resale to get in there and fix it. If it's a tumbler issue, it's likely only $20 in parts. The switch itself isn't much more if not cheaper. Both can be done without major dissasembly of the column. It's one or the other and neither is that difficult to repair. Both repairs are covered in detail with diagrams in the TMs.

Keith_J

".. without major disasembly.."? Well, it starts with the horn button, easy enough. Pulling the wheel is also pretty easy. Things get interesting if you don't have a lock plate compressor but it can be done. After that, the turn signal switch comes out. Then you can pull the lock cylinder. To do all of this, the steering column is only halfway torn down.

I've done it twice, once to remove a bad lock cylinder, the other to cannibalize a good one from a totaled CUCV. I made my own lock plate compressor.

Now, if the lock cylinder cannot be turned to the RUN position, you might have even more difficulty.

Barrman

Lets start simple. Have you tried pulling the wheel one way or the other as you try turning the key? Often times the pin in the lock plate gets jambed and won't let the key turn.

If that isn't it, then the directions above or the TM will tell you how to take it down for needle nose plier starting.