• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken shifter assembly part

Oros35

Anyone ever see this part broke before? Hard to make the truck move when it's in 2 gears at once.

Its part #3 on page 101 of TM 9-2520-246-34-1

Anyone have a junk trans laying around they could pull this part for me? Add in classified too.

Attachments

Oros35

Thanks! Pretty obvious what happened when I took it apart.

I'm contemplating welding it back together, probably with some reinforcement. I have the piece that broke off, and can use the good side to get measurements from. Worst case I can try, then pony up the $ the dealers are wanting for a whole top cover if it doesn't work.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm contemplating welding it back together, probably with some reinforcement. .....
That plate is hardened carbon steel. That's why the tabs break off instead of bending. I wouldn't take the risk trying to weld on it.

Hey, someone a bit closer than me should have a spare plate laying around, or pull one out of the top cover - it only takes a couple of minutes!

G.

Oros35

Well I just welded up the old one. Drove it last night. Seems to work pretty well, time will tell I guess.

Before:

After:

It looks stronger than the factory side. I wrapped the weld all the way around into good metal. Then took a grinder and file and cut it back into shape.

I'm pretty sure it's just stamped steel, not hardened or anything special. Worked and welded like regular steel plate. I could tell the bend was work hardened from the stamping process, but that was about it.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure it's just stamped steel, not hardened or anything special. Worked and welded like regular steel plate. I could tell the bend was work hardened from the stamping process, but that was about it.
Well, maybe your's is; but not a dozen or so I have here.
And I would bet, anyone else's are hardened, as well.

You took the risk - best of luck, then...!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks