• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought a truck back to life, now what?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

My buddy got a 20 year old truck back to running shape. How he wants to go the next step MECHANICALLY and flush the cooling system, new belts, hoses, has to replace a wiring harness, ect.. What else is on the list? Change tranny/diffs/ect fluids, what else??????????? He has new batts, the truck runs, drives, ect, so he's beyond the basics of making it start and run when you flip the switch..... He knows what he is doing body wise, he just needs some help in the mechanical dept.

Any ideas welcome!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, I've never brought a diesel back to life, but on all my antique cars, when I have bought one that was deadline for a looooong time, I typically do the following:

Flush all fluids and replace all filters
Belts
Hoses
Thermostat
Flush gas tank (dormant fuel turns to varnish)
Check all brakes and wheel/axle bearings, clean and repack
Lube everything

I then do short shakedown cruises to see if anything is going to fail after being pressed back into service (fuel pump, water pump, alternator/generator, etc.). Always short so I can get back home in a pinch.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Check all the rubber on the vehicle, like brake hoses.......

When I bought my '68 383 4 speed Road Runner in High School, I went to bleed the brakes with my Dad and when he pumped up the brakes, the right front brake hose exploded and covered me with brake fluid.........

(note: that cautionary tale can be applied to any vehicle that uses rubber brake hoses-)

:)

Armada

I don't imagine 20 year old tires would be in the best condition. They may look ok with good tread, but I wouldn't trust them on the highway for any distance, especially with a load.

SixBuy

Add new tubes and flaps to the tires... Headlights usually don't last long either. Check/clean axle and tranny vents. Check frt. axle boots. Fun stuff!!!

Scarecrow1

Trust me you can replace your self into being broke fast LOl...... Do the basic safty stuff and the rest will let you know when they need relpacing ...Most times in the most secluded places in the middle of the night ..but they let you know .....:cookoo:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a list to use when bringing a thread back to life?

:driver:

FrankOceanXray

^ Funny you should say that.

Either get the "bringing a thread back to life" response OR "search".

Either way seems to be a pain for a forum's saltier members.

Thanks for the kindness.

@CAPT: I understand that. Even my non mechanical possessions like this house require time, money, maintenance, repair, etc. I get that. But the doom and gloom of the post I was just bringing to light.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I would be focused on the brake system. Replacing the lines, flush, and check the wheel cylinders. Airpack is probally going to be froze.

Change every fluid for sure. Heck I am doing that on mine anyway.