• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brought home a new to me MEP-803a and trailer

keen

network outage friday left me free from work - drove an hour south and failed to negotiate a better deal....but still a decent deal.

A tested PU798a set - MEP-803a bolted to an M116A3, pulled it home on the H1 runflats for $3800.

Tier 2 reset tag, and 835.7 hours on the meter. 2.5 qts low on oil. :/ Missing the trailer jack handle - improvising with a 1" 6pt socket over the roll pin - and the wrench for the power terminals. 36mm deepwell socket for that.

Two new wet cell batteries installed.

Reset was in 2/09, original build 3/98. Trailer is a 1/09.

Got a chance to work up a load on sunday up to about 51 amps on each leg - my shop (lights, fans), the house, the AC, and all of the space heaters I own. Didn't engage the hot water heater, and didn't kick the well while it was a full load (did at 25% though). Had enough time to run it for about an hour that way. That 51 amps seemed to be reading around 90% on the load gauge. I only had a 50amp breaker, and short of major loads, that was pretty much all I had. I guess I could have kicked the attic fan on... At that load, had maybe 1hz of droop and voltage was still flat.

At that load, no smoke. Tried to run my air compressor (5hp baldor motor on a 20 amp breaker) - that flat pegged the load meter with starting load, and caused voltage to drop to about 180....at at 180v, the climbing amp draw tripped the breaker after a few seconds. Definitely rolled coal with that load. I didn't have reaction time to check my clamp meter.... Thoughts? Too much to expect at that kind of overload, or am I down on power?

Kicking the well (2hp maybe) caused a 50% starting jump then settled to a 25% additional. Similar for the lift (1.5hp maybe?).

Probably got about 2-3 hours of runtime on it (didn't look, a massive downpour started just as I was disconnecting...), drawing the <1/2 tank down to around 1/4 (per the gauge).

I guess I need a bigger load bank if I want to take it higher, maybe I can use a neighbor's house... :)

In the future - need to check the airfilter, and replace the oil with synthetic, swap in a pair of AGMs, and chase down a 24v solar and plugin maintainer.

After that - a remote start board, and ATS install at some point. Initially, at least (as soon as a 60a arrives that fits my small homeline panel - the GE I had on the shelf didnt), it'll be backfed when needed like I've done for the past 15 years.

IMG_4783.jpgIMG_4739.jpgIMG_4774.jpg

Anyway - thanks to everyone on SS for being a great resource for this old gear!

Last edited:

keen

thought about selling the H1 tires/wheels and swapping on some 8 lug china steel and rubber - but a quick glance of the local market doesnt seem to make it worthwhile, unless I end up -needing- to lower it for some reason. Besides, the H1's just look better.....

Bmxenbrett

You cant really judge much by useing a large electric motor for a load. Some times its just to much all at once. Dryer elements and a fan.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I take the tires off and scrap the trailers. I have started changing all the gens over to synthetic oil as long as they are past the 100hr break in. They seem to run better with the synthetic and I think it will extend the engine lifespan.

Firebrand

Your deal wasn't that bad considering the prices since the hurricane season on those auction sites. Mine was lacking the tongue jack handle as well. Wouldn't mind picking one up even though my -803A is off the trailer.