• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought home my first Military Vehicle

rmvivas

I've acquired my first military vehicle.

For quite a while now I have been wanting to try my hand at learning how to work on motor vehicles and at the same time indulge my interest in miltary hardware.

I had been collecting US military small arms for about 20 years and built up a museum grade collection. Eventually I wanted something that would provide the same thrill and enjoyment but perhaps on a slightly grander scale and with some useful skills (like learning how motor vehicles work and are maintained).

It probably didn't help that one of my customers at my gunshop dropped off a box of gun magazines and mixed in were some copies of Military Vehicles Magazine.

I suppose that like most folks I figured I wanted the classic jeep. However, I really did sort of like those M37's. I didn't help that one of the neighboring districts has an M37 they use as a brush truck (a surprising number of these things are still floating around in the fire service).

So, I started watching for M37's. I just missed one a couple years back that was for sale a couple miles from my home.

I watched the Internet classifieds and every time I found an M37 that seemed promising it was located too far away and I was perpetually cash poor and gun rich.

Circumstances change and I started selling my gun collection, leaving me with a small amount of spare cash.

So as I floated around the Internet I found a seemingly nice M37 for sale about 250 miles away. I made a deal for it and went and trailered it home (an absolutely miserable journey that I am trying to block out of my memory like a car wreck or a tour in 'Nam).

Anyway, epically bad trip aside, I finally got this thing home last night. First thing I have learned: A garage that will hold my wifes Chevy Trailblazer comfortable is pushing the edge of the spatial performance envelope to hold an M37. I now understood why serious automotive hobbyists have large garages.

So now what? The vehicle runs, which is great. None of the lights work, not so great. Supposedly a previous owner had started to replace the wiring harness.

Some of the wiring appears to be, if not original, then NOS wiring as it has the small metal tags on metal plates on the wires. I understand these are to identify each wire.

The oldest vehicle own is my 1990 Ford F-150 so understanding concepts such as, oh, say, a 'choke' require a little bit of reading and practice.

The vehicles is mostly, I think, original. There's a Raritan Arsenal rebuild plate from 1968. I was told the vehicle is 1952 but a fragment of an old registration says 1951. There is a non-original bumper w/plow mount and a winch that doesn't look original, but I'm not sure. There is a layer of OD green paint over a layer of red over a layer of yellow. A large star on the passenger door still shows through as does a faint ghost of some numbers on the side of the hood.

It sports absolutely wicked non-military tires and lock-out hubs. Good thing too as we had to use it to tow the 10 foot U-haul AND trailer 2 miles through the snow!

My plans for it? At the moment I'd just like to get it all squared away and have it as an occassional driver/utility vehicle. I'm not sure about getting it back to it's 'fresh from the armory' days.

Right now I'm spending all my spare time looking at downloaded PDF files of the various manuals and such and contemplating how to make more room in my garage so I can walk around this thing.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Welcome to the world of M-37's? Where are you located? Be sure to start hanging out at the www.g741.org its all about the M-37 and there are a bunch of us that are willing to help you out. When you get a chance, take some really good pics of that truck to share. I think you did pretty good on the price for that one. BTW, how did it tow once on the road on the U-haul trailer??? I had always wondered if it would fit on one, guess now I know.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Where is HOME?? It helps with us getting to know fellow local MV owners and may be a help to you. I think there is a site rule about listing your location... However, welcome to the site.

SPCWarning

Welcome from Mississippi! Looks like a good score. Keep us posted with pics of repairs/mods to it. And YES, there is a site rule that says you have to include your address. Heck, some of us may even be able to visit your shop if we know where you are.
Jimmy

Bill W

How the heck did U-haul rent you a trailer for that 37??
I tried it once and when U-haul asked the weight of the vehicle I was going to haul with it they hung up on me.
Nice 37, you could not have picked a better (model) military vehicle and as mentioned we're gonna need to see more pic's and don't be afraid to post your location ( State )

rmvivas

I missed the part about introductions; lemme fix that.......

ahem......hello...hello..is this thing on?

OK, here goes.....

Hi! I'm Robert and I'm an alco.........
Wait..never mind..wrong meeting.

I'm just a guy who knows squat about motor vehicles and is looking to learn. I live in NY (insert frown face here) just outside of Hudson, NY. Thats about 40 minutes South of Albany, 2 hours North of NYC (Worlds Largest Peacetime Producer Of Shrapnel) and about 25 minutes from the border of the Peoples Demokratic Reuplik of Massachusetts.

I used to have a gunshop but am in a completely different field now (I'm a nurse and yes, I am a male nurse, and whatever joke you're thinking of I have already heard. Also, I spend , my nights with young women wearing nursing uniforms who are bored and easily amused; not such a bad career choice after all).

I'm a pretty fair gunsmith and am a decent handyman when it comes to wiring houses, framing, etc., but have always been totally lost when it came to motor vehicle maintainance and theory.

Now I'm trying to transition from being a gun guy to being someone who can do more with his vehicle than just change the oil and empty the ashtray.

RM Vivas

rmvivas

How the heck did U-haul rent you a trailer for that 37??
I tried it once and when U-haul asked the weight of the vehicle I was going to haul with it they hung up on me.
Nice 37, you could not have picked a better (model) military vehicle and as mentioned we're gonna need to see more pic's and don't be afraid to post your location ( State )
Funny you should mention that.

While an M37 will, dimensionaly, fit on a U-haul trailer, weight-wise it is NOT NOT NOT NOT recommended. Particularly when the towing U-haul truck has crappy tires and the roads are snowy and icy.

Hands down transporting this vehicle was one of the top 3 all time worst drives I've ever been on. If I really think about it, it might be the second or even first. It was bad on a biblical scale.

Also, the kid behind the counter at U-haul didn't really seem to be paying much attention when he was processing the info.

Seriously, this was spectcacularly bad trip. I am genuinely shocked that I didn't wreck something or wind up parked on the side of the road somewhere awaiting aid. Really. Oy!

For more pics........I'll work on it. My garage is too small and its way cold outside. I do have to move it so the wife can park her vehicle in the garage, so when I do that and set it up to park temporarily under the deck until warmer weather, I'll get some images.

RMV

RodUSMC1962

Welcome to the site from Indiana! If you can manage it a nice big insulated heated garage will make your life easier and you will have a place to go when your wife kicks you out of the house because you have become obsessed with the green disease!

eagle4g63

Hi, rmvivas.......also from Indiana.

This is the point in the location......see now I know RodUSMC1962 is somewhere near me!![thumbzup]

So how about it Rod, I live between Griffith and Gary, anywhere near you?

steelandcanvas

Welcome from the Plains of Colorado! Nice selection of vehicle to get started in the OD Vehicle Hobby. Tell your wife to expect more vehicles, you have been bitten by the Bug and there is no cure or turning back. I'm not real familiar with New York geography, but Emmado might be close to him also, he's in the Mid-Hudson Valley.

DAS

Welcome to the site....there's alot here ....help-just ask,someone knows...fum-you just had that,nice trip home....OD FEVER- it's free....good luck.DAS

waayfast

Welcome to the madness from Salmon River Country! Nice truck.

I had to chuckle when you launched into your intro---you have no idea how similar a situation you have just got yourself into. At least with AA, they are trying to help you quit-----around here they just keep egging you on:p.

AND inquiring minds (nosy old farts) want to hear how it came to be that the M37 towed the truck/trailer????

C'mon , SPILL:popcorn:

Jim

Last edited:

rmvivas

AND inquiring minds (nosy old farts) want to hear hoe it came to be the M37 tow the truck/trailer????

C'mon , SPILL:popcorn:

Jim
Well, it's like this: The roads had snow and ice, the U-haul truck had crappy tires, the trailer was grossly overloaded and the fellows property was on an incline.

The truck and trailer weren't going anywhere -empty- and sure as **** weren't going anywhere with the M37 on board.

The fellow I bought the M37 from said there was a spot on the road a ways ahead that was level and then went downgrade to a main road tha was better plowed and salted. He ran a chain from the non-original rear bumper of the M37 to the 10 foot U-haul.

That 60 year old M37 in 'old man' condition pulled that 10 foot u-haul AND trailer through fresh snow uphill with no problems. As I steered the U-haul and watched the M37 non-chalantly drag us along, my infatuation turned to admiration and, dare I say, blossoming love.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks