• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought my M109A3 home today!

sgtrisk

Managed to drive it right off the lot at Ft. Indiantown Gap! I was amazed! The batteries even had plenty of power to start the rig right up! All the fluids were topped up (the coolant looked brand new!).

I'm exhausted, and only have one pic so far. In the morning I'll take some more and post them.

The vehicle, overall, is not as clean as I had hoped, but it's all cosmetic. I need a new shifter knob. Looks like someone "liberated" it recently. I also managed to break off the little brass bolt on top of the fuel filter air bleeder (dumb!). Luckily, I broke it tightening it up, so the bleeder is closed. AND, the hour meter doesn't seem to be working right. I put a good solid five or six hours on it today, and I think it only registered one or two. The tach works fine, though.

My wife is still wondering what I'm going to DO with it! Heh heh. I tell her (and everyone else): ANYTHING I WANT TO! ;)

More tomorrow!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
You're not the first person to break off that fuel bleeder knob! They're not as strong as they look, huh? ;)

Congratulations on your recovery! I'd say that a truck that you could drive off without even a jumpstart will probably serve you better than a prettier truck with engine problems. I'm looking forward to the pictures!

sgtrisk

I found Mike (at Ft. Indiantown Gap/Annville) very personable and helpful (although I ended up not needing any help!). And his boss, Amanda(?) was also easy to work with. So far, I've been VERY pleased with GL.

I'll have pics of the truck later in the morning (when I 'm awake and the sun is up!)

ssgtwright-usmc

RE: Re: RE: Brought my M109A3 home today!

Im dying to get a M109A3. Cant wait till one comes up near me because I will be bidding till the last minute.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the hour meter, it is set to measure a hour at 2000 rpm. So if your running 1000 rpm, it counts 1/2 speed. (1 hour 1000rpm=1/2 hour on tach)

So really the hour meter is a RPM counter. 2000X60Xnumber of hours on tach is how many times your engine has turned.

Dennis

sgtrisk

Thanks for the detail on the hour meter. I knew it was measuring the time based on some RPM, but didnt' know what it was.

I was on the freeway for almost the entire 5 hours, running at around 2500 RPM. That should have given me over 6 hours on the meter. I'll check it again. It may have been my over-active imagination yesterday.

OKAY, OKAY... I'm putting my shoes on right now to go take some pictues!

Brad

dm22630

Stretch44875 said:
On the hour meter, it is set to measure a hour at 2000 rpm. So if your running 1000 rpm, it counts 1/2 speed. (1 hour 1000rpm=1/2 hour on tach)

So really the hour meter is a RPM counter. 2000X60Xnumber of hours on tach is how many times your engine has turned.

Dennis

Is this the same on all MVs?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: More pics

I see that yours is an air-shift truck (meaning that you use that switch under the dashboard to engage/disengage the front wheel drive). You also have the folding bumper step, which is a nice add-on. Those van windows and their hardware are problematic in my experience, and your missing hardware isn't all that uncommon. I think you're missing the blackout panels which can be slid up to cover the van windows.

Are you asking about the tall sheet metal bracket inboard of the right mirror, which looks like it wants to hold something tubular? That bracket holds one of the legs of a machine gun ring. The other two legs mount to the back of the cab, which will also require a reinforcement kit (I think) to take the load. I think that the M66 ring is the right one to use.

I think your truck looks pretty good! Congratulations! [thumbzup]

nf6x

Feral Engineer

The frame over the spare tire holds the pioneer tool kit: a shovel, a pick, and an axe. You will actually need two lug wrenches: A long one with a hex socket at one end and a square socket at the other (it's a common Budd wheel wrench, and NAPA can probably order you one if you don't find a mil surplus one soon), and a short hex socket for removing the spare tire. A breaker bar is also necessary.

There's another kind of lug wrench that's nicer, with a geared head and a hex socket with a counter-rotating square socket inside of it. Besides giving you some mechanical advantage to get stubborn lug nuts off, it also comes in handy if the inside nut on a rear wheel pops loose before the outside nut does. The fancy lug wrench grabs onto both nuts and turns them in opposite directions. I don't have a picture handy, but maybe somebody else can post a picture or a link.

sgtrisk

I have five of the six blackout panels for the van. I removed them before I drove it home yesterday. One of them needs the bottom lip replaced.

The bumper step is pretty worn, but it sure helps getting up on the truck!! I've seen those for sale somewhere recently. I might pick up a new one, just for kicks.

You just reminded me... I haven't tried the front diff. yet, nor the low range. I'll probably try that this afternoon.

I see what the bracket is for now. And that explains the reinforced mounting studs behind the seats!

I noticed earlier today that the stitching is coming out of the cab top at the front edge. I wonder if it's worth the trouble to take it off and get someone to restitch it, or just buy a new cover??

I'll start searching around for the lug wrenches and related equip. I'll need those, I'm sure!

I'm STILL tickled that the truck runs as well as it does!! My almost-16-yr-old son was completely psyched last night when I picked him up from school in it! He hollered back at his school-mates "HEY! THIS IS MY RIDE HOME!!!" Most of them thought it was pretty cool!

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Removing the blackout panels was a good idea. The flimsy latches are generally in bad shape by now, the windows have generally decomposed to the point where they don't close tightly enough, and then the panels like to blow off the truck on the freeway if they're in the raised position. Just pulling them off until you have a chance to inspect and repair everything is wise.

The transfer case has synchromesh, and first gear doesn't. Some folks prefer to downshift from 2-high to 2-low, rather than from 2-high to 1-high. I just downshift into first because I personally find it easier to double-clutch the shift than to bend down to manipulate the t-case lever.

Picking up your son from school in it was way cool! I bet he'll have a lot to talk about with his friends on Monday! Do you live in a rural enough area that he can get some behind-the-wheel time in it before he's old enough to drive on the road?