• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bud Boy and I did our good deed today!

91W350

We had been out cruising the county and we stopped by the Super Market on the way home. As I was loading the groceries into the M-1008 I noticed one of those four door Suzuki Sport Utilities with the hood up.

I walked over to see if she needed help and she was frustrated because it would not start. She said her boss put on some new battery cable ends because it would not start at work. Those junk two fer a buck clamp on cable ends. I tried twisting the cable, pouring soda on them, tightening the bolts, cleaned the posts, it just was not getting enough juice to do anything but rattle the starter. Lights were bright....

She was pretty upset, could not get in touch with her Mom, her son was back from college, but she could not reach him. Thankfully it was a five speed. I pushed her out of her parking stall, hooked the crusty but trusty nylon rope to her tow hook and my bumper and gave her instructions... Turn the key one, put the transmission in second, when I nod my head let out on the clutch and it should start right up. It did.

As I was collecting old crusty, she tried to pay me 20 dollars. I refused and told her to spend it on her son or buy her dog some biscuits. Had Bud Boy scoot out of the driver's seat and we were on our way....

I must be getting old, she looked awfully young to be having a college student...

Attachments

91W350

Me too, if I did not have perishables with me, I would have taken her to the parts house and she could buy some good cables with that 20 bucks. I had enough tools with me to swap them out for her. Got her home anyway, she has a couple of days for her family to chip in now. ;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I have said before in these situations, Thank you. That could have been my family or friend in need. I know it was someones. Thanks

91W350

Thanks guys, it is the normal thing for me to do.

Years ago I was messing around in rural Harvey County, Kansas... driving an old 1948 Willy's pickup. I had dropped in a small block Chevy and a Muncie four speed truck transmission, mated to the original transfer case. Trans/Adapt plate, I think.

Anyway, it was wet and I slid off into a ditch. I hiked up to the closest place that looked like somebody might live and got an older gentleman to the door. He was in the middle of shaving. He laughed a little and said he reckoned I was stuck. When I started to tell him where, he said he already knew. He told me where that road went through used to be wet lands. He said it gets so slick down there that a fellow could barely walk. He had that part right!

He told me to hike back down to my vehicle and he would be a long shortly. I spent a lot of time in rural Kansas as a kid, but I must admit I was pretty shocked when he showed up with a team of horses and a draw bar. He was standing on the bar skimming across the mud behind the horses.

Any doubts that that team was going to pull out my old Willys were wasted thinking. They pulled me right up to the top of the rise and he untied the knots in his rope, I was free to roam.

I had exactly 35 dollars with me. I offered to give him what I had and to send him anything else he thought he needed. He refused to take it. He told me I was a young man with many years ahead of me..... he went on to tell me that the payment he wanted was for me to pass his gift along. That was about 38 years ago and I have not forgot that feeling of relief or the lesson learned.

There have been many folks along my travels that have reaped his gift....and I suspect there will be many more. Glen

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Any good deed you do will come back to you.

Years ago I was in New Orleans and some ladies had locked their keys in their car.
It was not in a nice area of the "Big Easy" and they were out of town tourists.
I happened to have an old wire coat hanger in my truck and I managed to pop the lock pretty quick.
The older lady offered me cash which I politely refused. I told her if my Grandma found out I took money for helping a lady out I would get a whooping when I got home (I was around 28 at the time :-D).
I have the same philosophy about good deeds.....don't pay me.....just pass it on down.

Reactions: DAS

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yea, where's the "This thread is worthless without pictures (of her)" guy at.

Yes you are getting old.

On a very recent visit to Ft Benning, I saw this kid all dressed up in ACU's. I asked him if he was a soldier and he said yes. I told him he was awfuly young looking to be in the military. He thought I was awefully old looking. LOL.

4bogginchevys

Sometimes when we get a big snow storm and there's nothing to do, a few of us get together and drive the old county roads lookings to find someone stuck or in the ditch. There's always 2 or more stuck vehicles and we NEVER take money. A designated driver like the wife and a few beers for me and friends and we end up having a lot of fun and improving someones night......just waitin' on snow now:-D

91W350

We pulled out a Swift Trucking Volvo Tractor yesterday. The driver had been bob tailing and tried to park in a parking lot off of Broadway. He got the steering axle and the front drivers in the driveway, then when the rear driver hit the plow berm, he had two sets spinning in the air. The rear of the truck was in the outside south bound driving lane.

The driver abandoned truck... to make a long story short... I broke my crusty but trusty (used to be) rope and had to break out a tow strap. I passed the strap through the center slot on the rear cross member between the frame rails, passed it through the right bumper clevis and then used a spare clevis to tie the ends of the strap together.

Stuck it in low side and eased into the strap, actually slid the rear end of the truck around and pulled my M1008 straight, never really span the tries though, drug the truck right out of there.

It is kind of an unusual deal, I have the tractor keys now, waiting for a Swift driver to come get the tractor. The driver had been trying to get a cash advance and they apparently were not in a position to give him one, so he quit. I suspect he did not want to tell them their truck was stuck.

I looked up the 800 number on my cell phone and called the terminal. With their permission, I parked the tractor and then went truck stop surfing in my 08 until I found the dropped trailer. I then made contact again and told them where their trailer was.

Some guys should not be allowed to drive a big rig... that is a huge investment to have that far from home in an unknown person's control. Glen

JAYHAWK 1962

If more people operated in this manner the world would be a much better place. It is nice to know there are still some good old schoolers out there that are willing to help people out who are in a jam.

srodocker

Man i helped quite a few people out last winter as we got hit with the snow storm...this older couple were at the bottom of their driveway stuck as the eldery man was pushing the back of the nice beamer he was telling his little old wife to go...it wasnt. so me and my brother stoped and was like we will help and we had a hard time with it now way that guy was going to do it....it was fun because my brother was struggling and i kept laughing hahaha

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I really love reading stories like these!!! It renews my faith in the American Spirit.

Anytime I see older folks...like Doghead:roll::roll:...having a hard time I just have to stop and do something to help:-Dt

91W350

I have no idea how many people I pulled out or dug around their tires with a shovel so they could drive out. The general public must be brain dead. I started passing on helping the guys with Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, low rider pickups etc... Sure pulled out a slug of vehicles and a lot of vans, which kind of surprised me. I cannot drive past an elderly couple having trouble, just cannot do it.

A buddy with a F650 4x4 was stuck in a drift out at the lake with his camper on the truck and his two axle toy trailer behind. I had to drive 25 miles to help him out, ohhhh... that hurt so bad. LOL!! I wish I had a picture of my old Chevy pulling that 100K rig out. I also busted a bunch of drifts for him so he would not have to on the way out. He tried to pay me, yeah right, the ribbing for the next 20 years will beat anything he could have paid me. :-D Glen

50shooter

It'a always nice to read positive stories....and better yet when they are MV related and shining a better light on our hobby.

Stan Leschert

With all of the people, who have helped people like me, I always try to pay back. And, no, like you I don't accept cash. The payment has already been made by some other good person, at a time when I needed it! As a side bous, you feel like you are 10 feet tall when you drive away and see the smile of the person who you just helped! That is more than payment in full! Merry Christmas! Your good deed will not go un-punished! Well Done!