• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Budd rim for 12.00 dual

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering what rims could be used on the back of my 4x4 M35A3 with 12.00 dual (budd) rim. Is there a one piece rim? Will have 395 on front.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
12.00R20 will fit onto the stock Deuce rims, however, without a spacer between the rims, the tires will likely touch one another under load (a no-no). Also, you need to check the inner clearance to your frame and suspension; on a stock Deuce there is insufficient clearance to run 12.00R20 as duals.

With measurements: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/12-00r20-dualed.201836/

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's approach from another direction. What rims will the 12.00 fit in dual configuration and have the necessary space between them without a spacer?. I am willing to make an adaptor, but have bolt clearance problems going to a 5 ton rim that will cause a problem.

What is the dual rim that has 13.19 bolt circle? I think there are aluminum ones.

Edit... I think a dually MRAP budd is it. Who would have those surplus?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Let's approach from another direction. What rims will the 12.00 fit in dual configuration and have the necessary space between them without a spacer?. I am willing to make an adaptor, but have bolt clearance problems going to a 5 ton rim that will cause a problem.

What is the dual rim that has 13.19 bolt circle? I think there are aluminum ones.

Edit... I think a dually MRAP budd is it. Who would have those surplus?
Feltz and the war surplus guy in bells, TX

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally, a rim with a larger offset than the 10.5 inches the stock rim offers would be the solution. The problem I see is that increased offset makes the whole dual wheel package wider in both directions. On the inside there is not enough room for that. That tells me that one needs to push the outer rim further out to create the space needed to accommodate the wider 12.00 tires. So, a spacer or two differently offset rims. Curious to see which options might surface!

Took me a while but here is a Deuce running 12.00-20 tires on stock rims. The rears are dish-in as they would be if dualled, but a closer look shows that they are only singles. The picture shows how much room this one set of tires takes up. Hard to imagine a second tire in there!

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Wes and Cattlerepairman.

I think I have enough room on the inside with my spring and bag....not sure. The adaptor would put it out a little more.

Wes, I see the adaptors have recessed nuts. I was hoping to use some 1" plate I have but the nuts become problem. Hmmmmm.

I'll check in at Feltz...see if rod make a super deal.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can stuff the 12.00 duals in there, I definitely want to see a picture! It will look massive! A truck that means business! :)
I would not try it if not a 4x4 and space for 395s.....bed an m105. But plan was to flip hubs to the inside and run dish out A3 wheel, where this mod keeps the hub in its outer position. Spare can still be an A3 wheel with 395.
Feltz has the rims @ 125. That is 11.25" bolt circle. I cannot find a similar wheel in the 13.19" bolt circle.

Cattrepairman, is that deuce above with hub flipped to inside position and dish out or are the hubs in their wide position with dish out?

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay....this entire exercise just hit a snag. Even with only 1" adaptor thickness, with the hubs in their wide setting, which is necessary, its past the 8'6" wide legal limit.

I'm back to flipped hubs, A3 wheels, dish out and 395s. Sorry to waste your time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to solve this I would start with a 20x9" 1-pc wheel (like this one) or even better just the bare rim (shell) if available, and then use stock deuce centers, welded-in more or less the way my drawing shows.

Minimum spacing for the 12.00R20s is 14 inches. Being that you would never come even near to the max. load capacity of 4 of those tires, that distance could be a little less, even. I know the deuce center is not the ideal shape in this case, but that's what we have on hand...

Besides all that it is clear that these custom wheels are for light-duty/off-road use only... ;-)

20x9, 1-pc wheel, w.deuce center, dualed.PNG

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure that you could mount this dual configuration on the "un-flipped" hubs, just as they come for stock dual wheels - and still not exceeding the legal width.

20x9, 1-pc wheel, w.deuce center, dualed.PNG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks